Herxed on alfalfa -- need a liver detox?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elastigirl, Nov 4, 2005.

1. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

I took two alfalfa tablets (650mg) for the first time the other night. I got sick and dizzy and had to lie down. I was out for 2-3 hours! Then I had to (forgive me) pee a lot, and it did not smell normal (sorry so gross).

What the heck happened? I heard alfalfa is good for liver detox. Does this mean my liver might be in trouble? Has anyone else used this supplement before?

Thank you in advance for your help :).
  2. kbak

kbak Member

Alfalfa also chelates heavy metals. Alfalfa makes me hex. I can only tolerate small doses. If you want a good liver detox, that won't cause you to hex, try milk thistle.

I don't think your liver is in trouble, your probably just getting a detox of heavy metals that's making you hex.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

In order to Herx, one must have massive killoff of pathogens in the body--so much so that the body cannot excrete them before they become toxic. This usually follows a strong immune reaction with flu-like symptoms and then profuse sweating and diarrhea.

People read about Herxing and think it is the term for any reaction one has to a substance. While it is possible that taking a botanical supplement can stimulate the immune system and cause killing of pathogens, it is more likely that this was not Herxing in the strict sense. Detoxing and purging are different from true Herxing.

I'm not trying to split hairs, but I do think it's important that we try to be accurate, as much as possible, especially for those new to our illnesses and treatments.

In any case, I am sorry for what you have been through and hope you feel better.

Love, Mikie
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

I believe what you experienced was a MAJOR detox. I get the same response from Wheat Germ Juice, HOLY COW. And I only put 1/2 teaspoon in a glass of water.

Just shows how powerful CHLORAPHYLL is. Plants can produce energy DIRECTLY from the sun. We cannot,we must ontain it from CHLORAPHYLL, then perform a complex act in the KREBS CYCLE. This is our Mitochondrial function. So, the more CHLORAPHYLL containing foods/supplements we eat the better.
    Alfafa, Wheat Germ, Chlorella, Spirulina, etc.

These will also directly chelate certain pesticides and heavy metals. So eat up. Adding fiber and/or Bentonite Clay will help bind and hold the DETOXING poisons so they can piggyback on into the toilet. And drink lot of water and get massage.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2005]
  5. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

I tried it again. I've learned to take my meds that make me dizzy right before I go to sleep. That way I'm already laying down, heh-heh. I tried one tablet instead of two.

Well, let's just say, that stuff really cleans me out! I didn't say it in my earlier post, but it cleans out the ~colon~ too. So gross!

So much awful stuff came out of my body that I risked taking another tab this morning. I'd like to get whatever's contaminating my body -- out!

Big mistake, though. Spent most of the morning in the bathroom, then felt hot all over, then almost collapsed once my son was on the bus. Wow! It's really cleaning me out, but there's a price to pay. Will try to stick to a 'nighttime' dosage because I hate being tired/drained during the day.

Now that I see the definitions before my eyes, you are right. This seems more like a detox than a herx. But maybe it's a 'hex' as someone else posted, LOL! Sure feels like one.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/07/2005]
  6. kbak

kbak Member

I will try to remember to use the correct terminology. Weather it's heavy detox or hex, they feel the same to me!
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is especially true when one is on several treatments. Yes, detoxifying and purging can bring on similar symptoms as Herxing.

It isn't all that important and like I said, I don't want to split hairs. I just want to clarify what it means to Herx as we get a lot of questions about Herxing, especially from our new members, many of whom have never heard of it before.

In either case, one has a reaction and feels worse before feeling better. The good news is that the reaction usually means the treatment is working.

Love, Mikie