herxing and sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by intensemom, Apr 21, 2006.

1. intensemom

intensemom New Member

HI everyone!

I have been on doxycycline for 10 days for the c. pnuemonae bacteria. I have been having the usual herxing symptoms: muscle aches, nausea, and a low grade fever.

But something else that has happened is problem sleeping despite Lunesta and trazodone. Is this a normal or usual herx symptom? Has anyone else had this? How long does the herx last? THis is getting old!!!

Love,
    Tracy
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

This sounds odd I would re check with your provider for this odd symptom of not sleeping on Luneta for sure, plus the ongoing Herx.

Love Anne C
  3. pawprints

pawprints New Member

check with your doctor and maybe try different sleep meds during this time.

Good Luck
  4. intensemom

intensemom New Member

bump for more replies!
  5. Paracelsus

Paracelsus New Member

I believe that many patients' quality and duration of sleep is adversely affected by herxheimer reactions, die-offs, and detox reactions.

I don't have medical studies to prove this, but my assumption is that the body uses sleep time to heavily detox toxins from the body.

It is known that when a person goes to sleep, a brief period of body warming with some perspiration is normal. This is called an "auto-sauna" episode. It helps remove impurities through perspiration.

The liver, the body's premier detoxifying organ, goes into it highest active period around 8 PM, or around bedtime, in other words.

It grieves me that so many CFS/FM are taking powerful sleeping drugs that can only be adding to their body's toxic burden-- all in an effort to get restful sleep.

In fact, the reason that they can't get that natural restorative sleep is probably largely due to other toxins irritating the brain , nervous system, and hormone glands.

Best wishes for a good night's rest.

6. intensemom

intensemom New Member

I've already been treated with Questran for Chronic Neurotoxins and with Valtrex for Epstein-Barr. Then I took a break before starting Doxy for C. Pneumonaie and my sleep and energy improved. But now 10 days into the doxy I'm dragging my butt again.

I do need to focus on a better detox diet and supps. Thanks for that suggestion. And I'm checking into neurofeedback. But the closest practioner is 2 hrs. away and I'm assuming I would need to go twice a week. How often did you go? Thanks!!

((HUG)),
    Tracy