Herxing AVs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Mikie found this note regarding herxes. I'm wondering if any of their suggested detox remedies seems reasonable with regard to herxing viruses. (I've only had experience with herxing yeast in the past.)

* Has anyone ever had lymphatic massage? If so, how was it?

* It seems to me that most viruses would be departing through the bloodstream rather than the intestinal tract and that therefore the digestive suggestions (e.g. colonics, clay, also the activatedd charcoal that I've used for yeast) wouldn't be appropriate here. Am I wrong?

* I've been drinking lots and lots of water, and have continued to take 6000 mg of vitamin C (EmergenC form) per day. I've been eating lightly (it feels like I have the flu in that I don't want much food anyway) and have been keeping regular.

* I've been using my steam shower but am not sure whether it's helped.

* Do you think Epsom salt baths would help with this kind of toxin?

* Has anyone heard of this Detox Offset stuff?

Thanks Mikie! (And thanks everyone!)

Dr. Wilson: Herxheimer or “Die Off” Reaction

In the 1890s, two dermatologists, Karl Herxheimer and Adolph Jerisch defined a cluster of symptoms that are now known as a Herxheimer or “die off” reaction. Herxheimer symptoms resemble flu symptoms: chills, fever, body aches, headaches, and rashes. They occur as a result of therapies that kill “bugs” such as bacteria, viruses, or, yeast. The symptoms usually occur from four to 24 hours after taking a drug or other therapies that kill the “bugs.”

The symptoms are not side effects of a therapy, per se, but are proof of both the effectiveness of the therapy and the existence of an infection, as it is the toxins that are released from dying organisms that result in Herxheimer symptoms. The load of toxins can be so great that the body’s natural detoxification processes can’t keep up with the toxin load.

Natural support of the body’s detoxification processes is recommended. Drink plenty of water and get light exercise. Avoid constipation and eat a light diet. Consider getting lymphatic massage or colonics. Take internal-grade absorbent clay to absorb toxins from the digestive tract, Epsom Salt baths, Vitamin C, and GSMC’s Detox Offset, a homeopathic remedy formulated to treat detoxification symptoms.

The dose and frequency of the drug or therapy that resulted in Herxheimer symptoms can often be adjusted to slow toxin release so as to not overwhelm the body’s detoxification ability.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Use a little lemon and olive oil to help with Herxing. I don't know how they take it, though. I don't use anything as I sweat profusely when I Herx and it stinks to high heaven. The diarrhea is also very foul as the dead critters are expelled.

I do take Epsom Salt soaks and they are good for just about everything. The magnesium is what helps with the pain and the hot water drives it in through the open pores of the skin.

Love, Mikie
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

That's interesting about herxing having an odor for you. You say something in your profile about the Gulf War. Were you in it and exposed to chemicals? Or did you have exposure to toxins of some other kind along the way? And is it with all herxes that you have an odor, or just some?

This doesn't have any particular relevance to my herxing, but I would like to try to understand this disease in general better.

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I really believe that GWI and CFIDS are one and the same, just with different triggers. The vets got many vaccinations and the anthrax vaccine is suspected of being contaminated with mycoplasmas. Then, there's the stress of battle, along with toxic chemicals from exploded munitions. I believe that those who were not completely healthy, or who were genetically suseptible, became ill. Once ill, these illnesses disrupt the immune system and allow one to become chronically infected with multiple pathogens.

I just happend to live next door to a military facility where the vets were being vaccinated prior to deployment to the first Gulf War. I got sick on Dec. 24, 1990; the war started on Jan. 19, 1991. I suspect that I got the mycoplasma infection, which triggered my illnesses full blown, from a soldier who was actively sick out in the dense shopping crowds at the mall during holiday shopping.

Most of our chronic infections have an active stage at first when we can spread them. If they are not adequately treated (mine wasn't) we can pass them to others. Many of the Gulf War Vets have sick families and even sick pets.

Because I saw the doc right away with what I though was the flu, the mycoplasma infection showed up in the blood test I was given; however, I was only given two cycles of ABX and that is not enough to get rid of mycoplasmas. I was very sick and left crippled for months afterward. I eventually appeared to recover but I was never the same again. Over the years, my health deteriorated until I could no longer work, about six years ago.

Now, I'm on the comeback trail but it's an uphill fight with lots of bumps along the way.

Love, Mikie
  5. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

has been a very good detox help for me. It absorbs toxins in the bowel and has three different forms of fiber.

It is made by Enzymatic Therapy and I am impressed with it . I feel much worse if I forget to take it a couple of days.

Another very good suggestion if you are miserable , posted here by Jeanne in Canada , is alka seltzer .
    It helps the body be less acidic and I have found it does make a difference on my worse days. I have lyme disease .
    Others here have posted that the alka seltzer helps them.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/21/2006]
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Babs, I'm so sorry about the vaccinations. It's a shame the military takes these chances with people who are willing to serve our country. More and more, researchers are saying that multiple vaccinations too close together can cause illness. My SIL was a Marine and he received many vaccinations and they wouldn't tell them which vaccines they were getting.

Ann, thanks for the tips. I'm sure they will be helpful to our members who have such a hard time with Herxing. Perhaps you would be willing to post this separately.

Love, Mikie
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

He doesn't seem concerned about it; none of the vaccinations every made him sick. He just happened to mention it to me when we were discussing the issue. I don't think he cares. I appreciate your offer, though.

Love, Mikie