herxing! Need help!

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by luvdogs, Oct 6, 2010.

1. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

Hi, it's me again: Luvdogs. Just started anitbiotics for Lyme. I'm on a one day off, one day on schedule. The "off" days are better. I'm definitely herxing on the days I'm taking the med. On those days, esp. after I've taken the pill, I feel like a zombie in a bad horror movie, as I told my other Lyme board. I feel as if a huge cloud has settled over my head/brain, and I lose all my appetite, and feel like I have to go to bed. Actually, if I force myself to eat and drink--that helps a little. I'm only taking one pill every other day, but I'm supposed to go up to 3-4 pills a day! Any suggestions for how to deal with herxing?
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

try some detoxing methods. Easiest is epsom salt baths and the lemon juice/olive oil drink. There was a thread here for various ways to detox, I'll' try to find it...
  3. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

I found the thread after I had posted. I should have just looked around. Since you seem so knowledgeable on the topic, do you know Dr. J's pulsing schedule? I see Dr. L., and he doesn't pulse, except for at the beginning of treatment. I would really like some kind of schedule. Thanks.
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

So I hope I remember correctly.

I believe my son took the abx MWF, added in Flagyl TH & F, no meds on weekends; he did that for 3 weeks at a time, and then the 4th week was always med free. I think it was a bit different when he was taking the mepron and artemesia, but not sure.

I really think the pulsing is one of the major strengths of Dr. J's treatment because it helps the immune system by giving it a break & allowing it to restore. Every so often, depending on his response, he would go a month or so without any meds, especially if he'd had a really bad month. Often it can be hard to tell if it's a herx or reaction to meds, but this allowed for a "washout" period, getting everything out of the body so one could start fresh.

Hope that helps!
  5. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

It helps a lot. It gives me some guidelines to go by. The reason I see Dr. L is that the state of NY has legislation protecting its LLMDs. I figure my insurance will be more likely to pay. Plus, if my ins. co. got wind of the fact that I was seeing Dr. J., since they sued him (didn't they)--BCBS that is--I figured they wouldn't pay for sure! Has your son gotten better on abx.?