Herxing on nexavir

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by blablabla, Jun 4, 2007.

1. blablabla

blablabla New Member

I'm a new member from belgium and I'm very sick and totaly disabled for 4 years with cfids
    I'm on nexavir (from Dr.De Meirleir) for about 20 days now and I had a quite strong herx , had terrible headaches, confusion,flu like symptoms,...

My main complains before taking it were the flu like symptoms, "feeling infected or something" and cognition problems, the fatigue had become weaker after the years (I spend 2years bed ridden)

I wonder if some of you have experienced any herx period ? For how long? and if you didn't, have you seen some improuvements while on nexavir?

thank you for your answers
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

I am not sure about herxing. I believe in it, but as for me when i am sick and take something for it, I am just plain sick for a while longer and then get better.

I am not familiar with the meds you are on, but only hope you feel better real soon.

3. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Have never taken nexavir but did do a 3 years on the bovine version without a herx.

Bumping for anyone with more information.

4. Ruminata

Ruminata New Member

I injected Nexavir for about 4 months (De Meirleir's my physician too). Nexavir didn't help me. And unfortunately I experienced bad side-effects from it. Half an hour after the injection I always developed a headache, wheezing and heart palpitations, possibly because of the tyramine it contains (an amino-acid like molecule that's also found in aged cheeses and to which some people are intolerant) or because of the phenol that's in it as a preservative.

But still I'm glad I gave it a try...

5. blablabla

blablabla New Member

thank you for yours replies,I'm sorry that it didn't work for you

good luck for everybody

6. horselover2

horselover2 New Member

hi, i've been on nexavir for about a yr and a half. i do think it helps me, i don't think i had herxing from it, but maybe i did, and just thought it was from being ill. i think the nexavir improved my condition by fighting hhv6. seems to keep me at plateau, where i am not cured, but able to do things with breaks throughout the day, can't work, but not laying in bed all day, so for me that's good!
    :) good luck to you
    i did 1cc nexavir daily, my dr. told me it would take at least 3mos. for any improvement, and it did take at least that long. i now do 1cc every other day, plus 1cc b-12, 3 times a week, which for me, seems to be helpful-
  7. blablabla

blablabla New Member

hello Anne,

Sorry that it didn't work as you expected, but you are better and it's already something, I have cfs for 10 years and I'm 30 now, but I only have a name on it since 2 years and a treatment for it since 20 days, meanwhile my symptoms had evolved a lot, 4 years ago it got worse and I was bed ridden almost every day, but my body did the job by himself
    and very very slowly I got better and could walk again and do some stuff even if I still homebound.

Anyway I did this progress by myself, so I trully belive that it's curable even if it takes years, and I always look at the progress I have already done, and try to think it will continue that way.

I take 2 cc a day, I don't know I'm not a doctor, but every body I know take this dosage, maybe 1cc is not enough ?
    I take also B12 injections

Good luck

sorry for my english, I speak french
  8. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

i am also a patient of Dr.Meirleir and was wondering why he put you on Nexavir? He did not with us, despite high EBV and HHV-6,7 .
    When did you see him?
    i am currently in Switzerland, trying to find a doc which is willing to put us on Antivirals and the recommended treatment by Meirleir.
    good luck
  9. Albertina

Albertina New Member

which kind of antivirals did de Meirleir suggest?

Please keep us posted about your experiences!

Good luck, Albertina
  10. blablabla

blablabla New Member

De Meirleir only began with nexavir at the end of 2006, I saw him on january this year and didn't prescribe me the med, he tried first to stimulate my immune system with softer methods, I saw him again one month ago, I was still very sick and he did prescrive me nexavir, he told me that he is giving this med to the persons who are very sick and I'm, but I think with 5,10 minutes of consultation it's difficult to be alway accurate (I look very positive despite my very strong disability) and the first time he didn't realise I was so sick. I have the hhv 7 but I've already made antigene.

Maybe you went there before 2007, but I think he is also giving the nexavir via internet, that' what I heard.

I hope this will clear up things to you
    Best wishes

11. tatortot

tatortot New Member

I have been on Nexavir for exactly one year and it has not helped one little bit! I had such a good reaction to the Kutapressin about 10 years ago. I actually thought I was getting well. Wonder if this drug is really the same as the true Kutapressin. Generic drugs for me have proven not to be as strong as the original drug in many cases.

Nexavir has made me so sick at times. I have finally figured out that it was hurting more than helping. Just what I needed!!!!! I have been sick and disabled for 20 years now.

12. meganp

meganp New Member

Hello blablabla, or anyone else who has had a herx reaction after Nexavir,

I noticed your posts regarding you herx reaction on nexavir. Just wondering if you continued treatment, and if it ultimately worked for you? Did Dr. De Meirleir have a view on this?

I am asking because I am very interested in trying nexavir as my illness started after EBV, so I am interested in nexavir as an anti viral. I am very concerned about herx reactions and how to tell if they are just herx's or if the drug is actually making you worse?

Any feedback much appreciated,

13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am actually Herxing as I type on Thanksgiving Day. I am on Nattokinase and vitamin E to dissolve the excess fibrin in my blood from a year of chronic infections. I am also taking Doxycycline and Acyclovir to address the pathogens as they are released into the bloodstream from their previous hiding places in the fibrin/platelet clumps in the blood. Obviously, there has been a big die-off of pathogens to cause my Herxing.

Herxing differs from person to person, depending on the size of the die-off. Mine usually includes a headache, feeling lousy, and profuse sweating and diarrhea (purging). My Herxes last from 24 to 48 hrs. I Herx strongly but not for long. I was on the Doxy for 2 1/2 years for a chronic mycoplasma infection. The Famvir, and later Acyclovir, took about 1 1/2 years to beat back whatever Herpes-Family virus(es) which were causing chronic infection.

Herxing is, to me, a sign that the meds are working. Best of luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  14. simonedb

simonedb Member

I havent tried that one but took something similar and it made me feel rotten so stopped.
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That some of these treatments will make one worse before one improves. When people feel worse, they often assume they are having an allergic reaction or simply don't want to feel lousy and they stop the treatment. I have yet to have a doc explain Herxing when handing out an Rx for ABX nor the necessity to supplement with probiotics.

Love, Mikie
  16. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

if your illness started after EBV, travel to dr. lerner in michigan. if you cannot go repeatedly, you will have to go once or twice to get a treatment plan. then you will have to find a local doctor to follow it.

you can get well. dr. lerner had the disease for 8 years following EBV infection and is now recovered with antivirals. nexavir is too weak and may work for someone who has not been sick very long.