Herxing or worsening of CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marlene35, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

About a month ago a nutritionist put me on a rather strict diet. I am supposed to have vegies and some protein at each meal, can have one or two fruit a day if eaten with a meal. I cannot have any carbs, other than what is in the vegies and fruit.

For about a month I didn't have any new symptoms. But a week ago I started having chills, low grade fever, fatigue, weakness, and foul smelling stools. I feel like I have the flu but it doesn't end.

I am puzzled. Is this a worsening of CFS or could this be herxing? It would seem if it was herxing that I would have noticed it sooner than one month.

The nutritionist also started me on several new supplements, however, none of them are considered something that would make me detox. Any suggestions? Thank you. Marlene
  2. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

Just bumping for any suggestions. Thank you.

Marlene
    [This Message was Edited on 11/14/2006]
  3. Catseye

Catseye Member

Hi, what veggies are you eating and what fruits? I'm surprised they told you to eat fruit with a meal of protein and veggies. You can eat certain fruits with veggies but you can't digest protein and fruit at the same time. That would explain the stools. Also, never eat melon with anything. Do you have hypoglycemic symptoms sometimes? I'm wondering why they said fruit with a meal and not alone. And what supplements? karen
  4. Gosia

Gosia New Member

Hi Marlene

I would say you start to detox in natural way. Healthy veggies and fruits gives you a lot of new nutrints that you body recignizes.And it starts cleaning itself. BUT. Your nutritionist should make shure that you are CANDIDA free. If not, you maybe feeding Candida with the fruits.
    Then again,what are your supplements?

I hope this helps. Gosia
  5. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

Yes, I do have hypoglycemic symptons. As for the supplements, I am taking a multi-vitamin-mineral; magnesium, potassium, Thyrostim, Taurine, Copper Sebacate, Calcium and Glucosamine.

As for what type of vegies, I can have most kinds except for carrots, corn, potatoes and sweet potatoes. I can have most fruits except for Pineapple, Orange juice, watermelon, kiwi and dried fruits.

I didn't think that any of these supplements were used for detoxing but I just noticed on the Taurine bottle that it says "detoxification support".

Thank you again for your help.

Marlene
  6. Catseye

Catseye Member

Hi Marlene, I can't eat those fruits either. I would start eating fruit separate from protein, though. If blood sugar is a problem, eat 1/2 a fruit or less. I eat like 1/2 an apple and a few grapes but not with anything else. And I don't drink juice except when I have low sugar then I take a few sips.

Your symptoms sound more like indigestion than detox. They said no carrots and potatos and those others becaue they're really starches and they don't digest with protein. Get a chelated mineral supplement to go with the vitamins and make sure you are getting extra b vitamins. You should get separate vitamins and minerals. Because you don't take the minerals within about an hour before and 2 hours after meals or they will neutralize the acid in your stomach and you won't be able to digest the protein properly. Usually, vitamins have to be taken with food or they're tough on the stomach.

Are you using betaine hcl to help digest protein? If you ever feel more full than you should when eating protein, you may need extra acid in your stomach. I started using it when I eat chicken and I can really tell the difference. It doesn't burn or anything. And make sure you use another good digestive enzyme for the veggies. I used a not-so-good one at first and noticed a big difference when I got a good one. I take the betaine hcl and pancreatin.

Have you used B12 shots? I take one every 3 days right now and they're really helping.

You're putting a strain on the liver with improper digestion and that will tend you make you malnourished. Proper food combining, which you can google, is a pain but is worth it. A chelated mineral supplement helped me get out of bed, very important. hope this helps , I've been studying food for quite awhile, now good luck! karen
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Herxing only occurs when there has been a massive killoff of pathogens. If the body cannot excrete them fast enough, they will turn toxic in the body and cause the Herx symptoms. Now, it is possible that if one stops eating sugar, which feeds pathogens, it could cause some dieoff and a Herx could occur. Herxing is detoxing but not all detoxing is Herxing.

Unless you are sick with an infection, the symptoms do sound like some kind of detoxing, especially the foul stools. If it were me, I would call the doc just to see what he or she thinks. Have you talked to the nutritionist?

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  8. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

I appreciate all of the help and good suggestions.

Marlene