herxing since starting bromeleain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by judywhit, Aug 27, 2003.

1. judywhit

judywhit New Member

went on a vacation packing in with the horses and did not take bromelain with. I started it about 1week prior to my holiday and noticed how stiff, sore and generally crappy I felt. Discontinued it for the trip...started it again yesterday and again I am feeling crappy. Anyone else feel this way for a bit while taking bromelaine? will stick with this stuff and ride out the herx.
    Judy
  2. 2girls

2girls New Member

Judy - I've been feeling like crap since starting the bromelain last Friday. My whole body hurts like heck and the stiffness is almost unbearable.

Someone posted about taking it for only about 8 days, yet I don't know why. Hopefully someone will be around soon with an answer.

So far I feel no benefits from this - time will tell I guess.

2girls
  3. judywhit

judywhit New Member

it has got to be the bromelaine and the herx thing. Which for me this tells us it is working. I have got to get this inflammation under control and i BELIEVE that this little enzyme will do the trick. What sold me is that after doing research on the net about it I went to my very old Nutritional healing book and it stated that Bromelaine is excellent for angina and fms. So this is not a new fangled thing. Very tired also!
    Judy
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If the enzyme is getting rid of the fibrin, pathogens may be unable to thrive and are being killed off by the immune system itself. Sticky blood and mucus are hiding grounds for stealth pathogens and/or produce an environment of decreased oxygen where these little critters can thrive.

It gets worse before it gets better. Drink lots of water and if necessary, decrease the amount you are taking for a bit. As more and more pathogens are killed off, the Herxing gets lighter.

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for the update on Carla. It's amazing what getting a new life can do for us sometimes.

Love, Mikie
  6. keeponsmiling

keeponsmiling New Member

So it's like "die-off" from yeast! **lightbulb goes off** LOL!

Have been feeling really good for several days now since starting on the bromelain. Then today, I crashed in the early afternoon and took a 3 hour nap. And I've already posted about the (((gas))) thing. Goodness! But I'm thinking this has to be related to the bromelain doing what it's supposed to be doing as I had similar reactions while on Nystatin/Diflucan for Candida.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this too shall pass.

Cheryll
  7. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I really appreciate this thread. I've been trying to pin people down as to exactly what to expect as "herxing". Just "you'll feel worse" isn't specific enough for me! I want to know exactly what to expect.

At any rate, before I start the bromalain I'm going to tell my husband (who can't do anything for himself) that I am going to be on "medical leave" for the duration and he's on his own. If I'm able to sit at the computer, fine, but other than that I expect to confine myself to my nice air conditioned bedroom with my animals and my books - and my bed!

I expect to start next Weds.

JoAnn
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Barb, yes I'm sending up a little prayer for all who are Herxing and feeling so awful. It is worth it. I cannot describe the difference now and when I started my ABX two years ago. It's a slow progress, but it is worth it. Good luck. BTW, all of us who are trying these things are real pioneers in these treatments and are blazing the way for the future treatment of our illnesses. So, while y'all are suffering, know that it is going to help others as well.

JoAnn, Herxing is different for everyone. You may feel achy and like you have the flu. You most likely will suffer fatigue. You may have headaches and diarrhea. You may have a burning sensation in your body or you may have chills. The burning and chills may alternate. No one can tell you which of these you will experience, at what level, or for how long. Over time, you will learn to recognize Herxing. If you are taking anything which kills pathogens or alters their environment and you get sick, you are most likely suffering the Herxheimer Effect or healing crisis.

Love, Mikie
  9. judywhit

judywhit New Member

for your prayers and encouragment. This is very strange. I was climbing mountains last week and now I can not climb out of bed. Your explanation of the toxins and fibrin helped me to visulize what is going on in this tired body.
    Judy