Hey Everyone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by painNagony, Jan 25, 2006.

1. painNagony

painNagony New Member

Ive never used this message board before, but Ill tell you guys a little about myself. Im a 22 yr old female from Wisconsin. I have had fibromyalgia for almost 4 yrs. My fibro mostly affects me in my neck and shoulder area. I havent seen my rheumatologist in 3 yrs but i have an appt set up for February 23. I am currently taking Gabapentin (a generic form of neurontin) and amytriptylin....ive been in excruciating pain for the last cpl months....do any of you know of any good pain killers that I could talk to my dr about?
  2. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

Welcome to the board. You will find many helpful people here who will be able to answer just about any question you may ask.
    I do not take pain meds. I also have the worst pain in my neck and shoulder area. I get relief when I go to a chiro, and by going to a salt-water pool for Ai Chi (T'ai chi in water)
    Good luck with your doc.
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I'm sorry that you have to deal with this at such a young age. However, there are a lot of younger people on the board as well. It is a very warm and freindly place and you will learn a lot.
    I agree with the magnesium recommendation. If you have a lot of pain in the neck and shoulders, muscle relaxers may help,e.g. flexeril. If not, you may need something stronger like a narcotic at least for a while.
    Do you do stretching exercises? They help me with neck pain, also epsom salts baths.
    Take time to read old posts. I think you will get some good ideas.

Kathy.
  4. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I will be 27 in May, but I still like to think I am young! I also have major problems with my neck & shoulders. I have recently started taking magnesium, but have not had the wonderful effects others have.

I have taken a number of medications for this. The muscle relaxer that I have found that helps me is Zanaflex. I also take long acting morphine on a regular basis, but I don't think that would be a good starting point. Hydrocodone (Vicodin) helps me too - I just starting to have to take too much. I still take 10 mg tablets for breakthrough pain though.

So, if you want to try a muscle relaxer that doesn't knock you out, I would try the Zanaflex. I am tired all the time, but I don't notice that it is because of that. Also, just having a Vicodin to take when needed can give a lot of relief, but you have to find a doctor that is willing to prescribe narcotics.

Well, good luck. I know what it is like to have your pain totally out of control. I hope you get some relief soon.

Take care,
    Leanne
  5. lolee

lolee New Member

I was on Neurontin, Vicodin and Zoloft (for the seratonin benefit, sleep issues) Was taking WAY too much Vicodin just to TRY and function, turns out I have something wrong with my back like, pinched nerves, spinal stenosis, whatever, I get MRI results tomorrow, well ANYWAY..... this new pain doc who had the good sense to do the MRI changed Vicodin to Oxycodone, 10mg every 4-6 hours as needed, switched the neurontin to Topomax, instead of taking it several times a time and several little capsules I take 1 in PM for 2 wks, then 2 in PM for 2 wks then 3 at PM for there on out (haven't reached the 3 yet) he also put me on a muscle relaxer, Chlorzoxazone 500 mg 3x day, this stuff is great because it doesn't make you all loopy like Soma, and the Baclofen gave me horrendous headaches.

But my number one pain reliever isn't from the doctor it was the epson salt bath I learned about here. 8lbs (that's only like two of the milk carton type containers) of epson salts in a hot bath, soak for 20 mins. Some add Hyd.Peroxide. do a search for epsom salt bath, I didn't personally think it made that much of a difference but I swear by the epsom salts, it pulls the toxins out of your body and REALLY it is the ONLY time I am ever pain free!!

Again welcome! Didn't mean to write a book!! LOL

Luv,

Lolee