Hey....how many of us were ever diagnosed w/ CMV?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EMayer, Sep 25, 2003.

1. EMayer

EMayer New Member

Cytolamegalovirus......I know it lies dormant in your system and can become active here and there but maybe it has something to do with our disorder???

What do ya think?
  2. EMayer

EMayer New Member

When I Was 18yrs old!
  3. mlw

mlw New Member

CMV is in the herpes family just has Epstein Barr virus (mono), and HHV6. They are herpes virus and they either go dormant or reactivate. I would strongly suggest going to an immunologist or an infectious desease doctor since most internal md do not know how to treat it. Usually you would probably have to take an anti-viral such as valtex or famvir. I also suggest you go on the net and research about this virus. MLW
  4. annepat

annepat New Member

aal REFERENCE LABS tests all three HHV6A, EBV and CMV in
    CFS panel test.
    anne
  5. Solstice

Solstice New Member

When I was tested for it back in the mid to late 90's

I have no idea if it is still active. Was not treated for it either. Just told about it by my doctor.

I will have to do the reading suggested here. I don't know if I should still be doing something about it.

Solstice
  6. suzbee

suzbee New Member

Hi, Emayer,

I had a bad case of CMV in 1988. I thought I was dying. The doctor (an oncologist/hematologist) treated me for one year with Zovirax, Humibid (guaifenesin), and thyroid. I was very sick for a couple of months at the first, but was trying to go to college. For me, it had some very strange symptoms, particularly the tendons in my hands and feet stretching and standing up like steel cords. Doctor kept telling me if I didn't lighten up on all the activities, the CMV could advance into an acquired immune deficiency (AIDS). That scared the bejeebers out of me. Anyway, after a year of treatment we finally got my bloodwork satisfactory in his opinion, and I was able to quit taking all the medication.

Very interesting topic. I made sure to include this episode when applying for disability.

:)
    suzbee

[ advertisement ]