Hey I won

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Jan 16, 2008.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Isn't that exciting?!

Well, no, not really. What I won was an I pod. As far as I know, I have no use for an I pod. But then again, I don't know much. What is an I pod?

Some years ago when I was training a new atty who was right out of law school, he came to work w/ something that looked like a fat watch. He said it had 500 tunes in it. Perhaps that was an I pod? Its electronic ancestor?

I looked in Wikipedia. Their article was one of those that make sense only if you are informed before you begin reading.
    To wit:

"Apple's iTunes software is used to transfer music to the devices. As a jukebox application, iTunes stores a music library on the user's computer and can play, burn, and rip music from a CD. It also transfers photos, videos, games, and calendars to those iPod models that support them."

I don't know as I want to support anything else.

It turns out there are several varieties of I pod, some extant and some already outdated and deceased.

Oh, what wonderful thing did I do to win this miracle of science and technology? Bought groceries. Gordon was going thru the check stand and decided to run and get something. So when I paid, an alarm went off (thought I was under arrest) and the clerk beamed and told me I was a winner.

Then she said to the bag boy, "That other man would have won if he hadn't left to get orange juice."

The landlord has a teenage son. If he doesn't have an I pod I'll give it to him.

Any other suggestions?

2. Juloo

Juloo Member

Can you say exactly what kind of iPod it is? Some of them cost up to $350+ dollars. Because you are computer literate enough to be here, you could always keep it and subscribe to free online podcasts that you could download to it and catch up listening to when you want to relax in bed. The 'bigger' models allow uploading of video as well.

I love my iPod -- I have genealogy podcasts on it and I've uploaded some audio books so that I don't have to carry around my Discman anymore. I just put my iPod in my purse and I can listen to my books when I have to wait for something.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/16/2008]
  3. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Wow. That landlords son is going to LOVE you! If he doesn't already have one, I guarantee, he WANTS one! This was the hot item on everyones Christmas list.

My daughter had an Ipod briefly (it got stolen) and she let me check it out. It was by far the coolest technology I have ever seen! If you like music at all, you should keep it.

I personally have no need to watch DVD's or stuff like that on a tiny credit card sized object. But it is way cool for listening to your favorite tunes. It's tiny and lightweight, so you can clip it on your belt or put it in your pocket.

Don't let those little earbuds fool you. The sound that comes out of these things is amazing! WAY better than any stereo system sounds.

You have to get the songs from Itunes, I think, and there is a cost. I don't know if its per song, or a monthly or yearly fee. Someone else will know.

I couldn't help but be extremely jealous when I tried out my daughters Ipod. Why didn't they have cool stuff like this for my generation!!!??? We had the gigantic stack of LP's, some scratched or warped. You certainly can't carry those around with you in a pocket. With the Ipod, your entire album collection is right there in the palm of your hand.

This would be nice to have while mowing the yard, doing housework, or just sitting around in pain doing nothing. Plus, you'll be popular with all the coolest kids!
  4. laceymae

laceymae New Member

I told my daughter that when I was young, we had to carry our "I POds" on our shoulder..

Does anybody remember the big ole jam boxes?

Daughter bought some sort of gizmo that you can use in the vehicle so your IPod can be played on your car radio.

Anywho...congrats on winning.

I won a set of encyclopedias fom Kroger years ago. That was before people had computers in the home, so they were really useful.
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow! How Kool do you Feel right Now?,,,,,,,,,Lol! I never win anything!:(,,,,,Oh wait!,,, when i was 8 yrs old i sent in a jingle to a local radio station about how drinking 3 glasses a milk a day will keep the Dr. away!,,,,,,,,,

And i won a huge inflateble Beach Ball!,,,,,I Thought that was the best thing that ever happened to me!,,,,,lolol

Winning an i-pod is Kool! Maybe you will like it alot and keep it! Just think of it as a new technilodgical thing to learn about and keep you busy!

6. rockgor

Thanks for the input. For those of you who know, here are some questions:

Do you listen to the Ipod itself or do you plug it into something like the computer or a stereo?

4Everkid said earbuds, so is that the only way to listen? Plug the earbuds into the Ipod?

I don't know if it has earbuds or connector wires as I have not opened it. There is no Logo or name on the thing, but in tiny print it says Designed by Apple in California; assembled in China.

Pretty soon our national motto will be "Made in China".

I was looking up some lyrics for an old song. Came across a site where it listed songs for 80 cents @. Maybe that's to download to the Ipod?

Wonder if I have to buy a wire or something to connect things. Those kids at the music stores aren't much help. They assume I know what they're talking about. Alas, I don't. And most of them are in a big hurry. To get off work, I guess.

Just think, when I was a kid we didn't have Tupperware, dial phones, aerosol sprays, or diet drinks. I remember the first time I saw a car w/ a dome light. Wow! what luxury!

No wonder the modern world is a mystery to me.

7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

always nice to win something even if it's useless - me, I have no idea what to do with an ipod......can hardly use my mobile phone.

I once won a Joan Collins nightdress.........I had been in bed for weeks and was so bored I was doing all the competitions in the newspaper - was it pure silk - pure nylon actually.

I'm sure your landlord's son will be very appreciative or you could sell it.

8. joyfully

joyfully New Member

You can always sell it on Ebay!
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

The only thing I can see for me that it'd be useful for is to download audio books, as I listen to them as I doze thru the night... my library doesn't have many, and I'm just about done with them.

The thing is, my daughter got one a year ago from her BF. Exactly 2 weeks after the warranty ran out (2 weeks ago), it quit. I guess Apple sells some kind of warranty for $60, plus about that much again to replace it! If no warranty (like my daughter), it costs as much or almost as much to replace the battery as buying a brand new one.

Or so I've been told. Hopefully somebody else can tell me that's not true, it's such a shame, she loved it.

But if it's true, I wouldn't count on it for very long (or at least very long in our eyes, lolol - think enough people are ok with it as they want the new updated versions anyway)

... "gift" your landlord's son and they'll probably love you forever!

all the best,

10. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Wow! An Ipod!! They really are in high demand these days. Lots of young people at work have them plugged into their ears. My son has one too.

I don't have any idea how to use them either! All I know is that they are very small and they can hold lots of songs. I'm not sure how to get the songs on the ipod. Maybe with computer and software? I think you have to buy the songs though.

Your landlords son will surely love it if you gave it to him!!
  11. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Next time you ask for help from a youngster on how the Ipod works, call it an "ipid" (rhymes with lipid). They will think you are a big goober-dork, but it will be clear that you know nothing.

You listen to the Ipod itself. It's a top of the line MP3 player ... this particular kind is made by Apple. It can play music, and depending on the model, many other things too. You use your computer to go to the Itunes store and download songs for .99 each. Then you transfer them to the Ipod. You can get whole albums too.

If a person were to use one of the free file sharing networks to download pirated music, (which I know of course you are not) those files would not be compatible. I think there are a few other options besides Itunes, but the quality of sound is lesser.

My son has some kind of gizmo to mount his on in the car and listen to his favorite tunes through the car stereo.

I believe they come with a USB cord to hook it up to the computer (like you would a digital camera). My daughter had a dock for hers. I don't know if they all come with that or not. The dock is used to connect it to a computer, tv, or speaker system, and may be used for recharging the battery.

They come with the ear plugs/earbuds too. I was not excited about the idea of using earbuds, till I heard how good they sound, and saw how non-existent they felt.

Once you have your Ipod loaded up with music, you can dance around in silhouette (like on the commercials) head-banging and shaking your arms in the air. You will need some long wild hair or dreadlocks to really look right for this part.

Wikipedia has a page on Ipods.

You can read more about it there. A lot depends on exactly which model you have. They are all a little different, and with each new model, they keep getting increasingly capable of doing more things.

Next years Ipod will be able to prepare a steak dinner and have it on the table for you when you get home. Then afterwards, it will clean up the dishes and walk the dog.

We have come a long way in the world of audio equipment. In my lifetime we have gone through 78's, LP's, cassettes, a short, dead-end diversion with 8-tracks, CD's, and now the MP3 player.

They can now officially quit updating the technology on personal audio equipment. This is as good as it can possibly get. There is no where left to go, except to download the music directly into our brains.

I hope you figure out how to work it and have lots of fun with it. If not, I wish I could be there to see the look on the landlord's kid's face when you ROCK HIS WORLD!!! Seriously, I may actually be able to feel the kids world rock from here - it will be THAT big!

12. rockgor

Ok, will try again to post here. This machine is ornerier than a goat w/ hiccups. Gordon took the mystery gadget to work. He'll see what the hi-tech boys have to say about it.

Yes, I hate waiting, Juloo. Always take a book or my walkman to the bank or the dr's office.

I can just see the reaction of young people if I asked about an Ipid, 4ever. "Boy, is he stoo-PID!" I note you mention dock and Molly mentioned a boat. So does this thing only work if you're near water?

You're right, Lacey. Encyclopedias are pretty much a thing of the past now, like slide rules and ice boxes and typewriters. About half a century ago I used to sell encyclopedias. I was the number one salesman in Madison, WI.

Sis, do you remember your prize-winning jingle? I won a dictionary when I was a teenager for writing a patriotic poem. All I can remember is the first line: America, where freedom bright...

Still have that Joan Collins nightdress, Rosie? What size is it? Maybe we can trade.

Off topic: How did Joan and Julie Andrews look so young for so many decades? They must have used make up, surgery and witchcraft!

Joyfully, E Bay is probably a good place to sell the mystery device. Alas, I know as little about E Bay as about the item in question.

Victoria, you're right. Nothing lasts anymore. And you can't get it repaired either.

Dar, send your son over.

Jam, yes, give me a real book. I got some books, old radio programs on CD. The Smithsonian put some out, but they don't have bands. Seems to be listen to the whole thing at one sitting or don't bother.

13. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Well my 16 yr. old barely goes anywhere without his Ipod. But, honestly I don't have the patience to surf the music sites and download all of the songs. Think of it as a very advanced walkman, only instead of putting the music in it on CD, you have to download everything from the computer and it can hold thousands of songs.

The closest I will get to operating an Ipod is the new cellphone I got for Christmas (the Chocolate, yes, that is the name of the model from Verizon). I have to say it is pretty cool, it looks like a small Ipod and operates like one, only you don't have to search for the gazillion songs you have downloaded. (I am sure the Ipod is easy once you get the hang of it). My kids figured out how to take a picture with my new phone before I did-Lol!

My husband does download ringtones for me, so that is kind of fun, to have certain song plays when a certain person calls. But that is as far as I go on the downloading music thing. Let us know if you decide to keep it or not. Have a great day! Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 01/18/2008]
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Learn to use the iPod and enjoy it. I never thought I'd have use for an MP3 until I got a phone with it built in. I LOVE it! iPods are the easiest of the MP3's to use.

BTW, you don't need to download expensive tunes. You can put music from your own CD's on the iPod and take your favorite music with you.

Love, Mikie
  15. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Congratulations on winning your mystery gadget!!!

Read that box carefully, some IPODs are actually phones too nowadays and can browse the internet.

My husband loves his gadgetry, the more expensive the better. I've figured out I don't need an Ipod because I rarely leave the house.

Hubby uses his with his noise reduction ear phones on airplanes so he doesn't have to enjoy the screaming kiddies behind him on international flights. He really loves his for travel. Loaded with all of his favorite songs.

16. sisland

sisland New Member

I wish i could remember the Milk jingle!,,I remember it was something i wrote and sent in,,,sort of like the (an apple a day) thing,,,that will keep the Dr, away!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    The Kids got me a Digital picture frame ,,by Kodak for X-mas and i'm still inthe process of learning how to transfere photos from my PC folders to this new Gadget!,,,

it's really kool though because you can set it up in the livivg room and the photos just keep rotating until you turn it off,,,,,,Amazing!

You are not alone when it comes to this stuff! I always tell the girls that i'm a "High Tech Redneck",,,,Lolol,,,,now thats funny!,,Because they all Laugh and say Ahh Yeah Mom!,,,Sis