HEY If we were young and healthy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Aug 24, 2007.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

we could go on expeditions just like the ones seen on the Discovery Channel.

For only 2800 pounds or even more dollars, we could go to the Zambesi River and study Nile crocodiles. Help CAPTURE them and measure them and make new friends.

Big Nile crocodiles are over 20 feet long, weigh more than a ton, are armor plated and have enough teeth for a small village. And if you sneak up on them from behind they can swat you w/ their tail and break a leg. Your leg, not theirs.

You get to sleep in a tent. No alarm clock needed. The screams of the African Fish eagle will wake you.

Anyway something called Earth, well, I forgot what's it's called. But they have expeditions to all over the world and you can study creatures considerably less fierce like otters, or turtles, or bison.

I would love to do something like this. Why didn't they have this decades ago when I was young and healthy and slim and good looking and sexy and...oh, never mind.

2. ckball

ckball New Member

I'm right there with Julie "armchair" travel is the greatest. I have traveled the world. They actually have a channel that shows nothing but travelling.

Cable is much cheaper than air fare and gas. I have been to the top of Everest, walked the china wall, been to the North and South Poles and never left my house.

I love watching other people overcome the things this world challenges them with. I love the endurance challenges that they do every year.

I do not have many regrets in this life, but not traveling when I was younger and healthier, however I couldn't afford it then. So I will settle for my couch and enjoy watching what others are so fortunate to overcome.

It is the stuggles we learn from not the good times- See ya at the top! Carla
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm sure you're still slim, good looking and sexy....but to sleep outside? On dirt? With bugs and creepy crawly things.....

Yuck, ewwww and ouch!!!

Nancy B
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

one (person's) dream is another's ............ nightmare I think? Wasn't there a famous quote about that somewhere?

LOL my idea of fun when I was in early 20s was maybe going to Mexico on an archeological dig (as an artist, not to dig tho lolol)...

but it would've been rustic at best. Looking back, it was probably a good thing I didn't go, in view of how things went health-wise for me anyway, probably would've had more 'critters' to deal with inside me. No illegal free rides inside me! Altho it would've been fun. I guess?

5. sisland

sisland New Member

Yep i would love to do all that stuff! have to agree with the armchair travlers! Now with the big Hi-Fi definition TV's out there it's so much fun to watch ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Is anyone a Survivor Fan?? it's going on in China this time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Theres a gal from montana that's been chosen to go!,,,,,,,,,So Kool! Can't wait for the Olympics in Bejing (SP) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,We Can Dream!,,,What if one of Crocodiles decide to eat us for dinner??
  6. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Love the post! My idea of camping is our RV with a shower. Lol! I am not too good at the tent thing. Studying wildlife could be quite interesting although I think I would stay away from the crocs!! I do love to watch sea otters and dolphins though.

If I travelled more, my husband and I want to go to Italy, Ireland, Scotland, France, etc. some day. We try to take a nice vacation each summer, but it's not usually to a far off exotic location. More like Georgia, or Ohio, West Virgina, Big Bear, Sea World or Disneyland you know, something more kid-friendly! Some day...........

You're right, when your on your own in college, no one has the money to travel too far. Then, I just went to San Felipe, Palm Springs or San Francisco. Good times though!

Hope you are enjoying your night. Sweet dreams of far off places! Kim :)
  7. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

I suspect if a crocodile decided to eat you, then he just would just eat you:)

I know someone who was bitten on leg by a hippopotamist......it took 2 days to carry her to the nearest road/hospital, nearly died.

Still, there's nothing like the wind in the hair when driving as fast as you can to escape a tsetse fly chasing you at forty miles an hour.

Personally, I would avoid Africa. Just too many parasites and things with big teeth. Oh well, plenty of other places.....with lovely beaches. Sigh

I liked "enough teeth for small village".

[This Message was Edited on 08/24/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2007]
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

My brother worked for 5 years on Safari, as a cook, going from country to country - loved it, lots of tall tales to tell. The Safaris where they take the tourists around, not the animal killing safaris they used to have and still do in some parts.

He was in his 40s, not young or sexy.........didn't make much money but loved it. Can you cook Rock?????

The hippo is the most dangerous animal in Africa, it will just mow you down if you are in its way, it does spend a lot of time on land. They look so loveable too.

Well I'm no longer young, or healthy, or slim, but good looking and sexy????.........you bet I am even if it is all in my mind.

If I had the energy and loads of money, I'd be city travelling, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Paris, Rome, New York etc......

[This Message was Edited on 08/25/2007]
  9. dononagin

dononagin New Member

ya know my daughter was looking at old photos the other day and she tells her boyfriend.. Look! My mom was Hot when she was young...

So I'm thinking... uh... does that mean now I'm old and lukewarm?? How tragic!
  10. rockgor

Burnett when we need her? Anybody else do the Tarzan yell?
    We have a new feral cat. He is a scrawny, all gray tom. I named him Tarzan. (After Lord Greystoke, you know.)

I found the name of the place in question. It's Earthwatch, I think. Land O Goshan. I just read it, and now I'm not sure what I read. Everything slides off my teflon brain w/o making any impression.

Kim, if you want to see otters, they are taking an expedition to S. America to study same. The otters there get 6 feet long.

When I was a kid a fellow brought his otters to school a couple times. They were river otters, 2 to 3 feet long. Playful as monkeys but w/ a sweeter disposition.

Molly, you could go along. If you want to use your blow dryer, just look for an electric eel. There's also an electric catfish. (You don't need to worry about being mugged when you pack a built-in stun gun.)

I'm glad you like my little literary conceit, MrMadScientist. I borrowed it from Gordon. When we watched the cooking shows, he would say Martin Yan has enough teeth for a whole village.

You don't sleep outside, Nancy. You sleep in a tent. Of course the tent is outside. So is a house for that matter.

Rosie, what an exciting job your brother had. What's he doing now? Can you get him to come post some of his anecdotes here?

Nice to hear from you Donna. See you changed your profile picture. Well, personally I think "lukewarm" describes me just fine. And, of course, pretty soon I'll be room temperature. In the meantime, one must keep trudgin'.

I agree w/ all the folks who said armchair travel has a lot of advantages. But still I wish I had done at least one adventurous thing in my life.

Hope everydobby has a good weekend.

11. rockgor

You have done some traveling indeed. Wow!

I don't know what you mean by "I know what you're thinking" tho. What was the most surprising thing you saw on your travels?

Any developments on the real estate matter? Or maybe you don't want to discuss it just now. Hope it all works out.

12. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

You have a lovely way of cracking me up, thanks for that!

Nancy B
  13. ckball

ckball New Member

Even tho I have done more armchair travelling the one thing I have done that to me was the greatest thing. I have stood on the edge of the Grand Canyon. It is a peice of God's work, words can not describe it.

I went to Vegas to play in a singles national pool tournament in 2001. I was knocked out early and had a day to do something. So I took a day trip to the canyon. I was on a plane, if you call it that, with 5 couples and just lil ole me. We couldn't even stand up to get in this thing, I think they used a rubber band to start it.

We flew over Vegas and the Hoover Dam and Lake Meade it was so cool. We fly over the canyon and land an a small air strip where a bus was waiting and the 11 of us then joined others that flew there in other planes.

We stopped and had a buffet lunch at a log cabin type resturant, then back on the bus. We went to 3 different overlooks where we stayed about a hour at each place then back to de plane.

I will never forget it. I have some good pictures, howvever the pics I took from de plane are lost foever. I changed film at our last stop and put that roll in my purse.

When I got back to my room, my camera was missing :-( I had bags of things I had bought but somehow must have dropped my camera or left it on the plane. I still have my memories So that was my big adventure.

Oh one more, while I was in Vegas I rode the roller coaster that hangs off the side of the Stataphere Tower, it is 1100 ft from the ground, now that will get your motor going,lol. I rode the front seat.

Now my big thrill is chuggin up a hill in my new golf cart with the the dogs in tow. Then they get in and we fly down the hills and do it again and again. Remember to enjoy the simple pleasures and be happy to just 'Be' Carla
  14. rockgor

Hey! What a kawinkydink. I too, flew over (and in) the grand canyon. And also didn't get pictures.

I have one pic that shows mostly the inside of the plane and part of a wing. At that point the camera broke and I got no more shots of the fantasic scenery.

Couple days later one of the Grand Canyon sightseeing planes crashed. Gave me an eerie feeling.

While I was standing on the rim of the canyon at dusk,taking in many square miles of scenery, a car pulled up and a young couple jumped out and rushed to the rim.

"Quick," she said. "Get a picture. Be sure and use a flashbulb."

The following day I overheard another young couple.
    She: Oh, Honey, what caused this?
    He: Glaciers.

Next time I'm in your neighborhood, I'll drop in. We can go cruising in your sporty golfcart.

15. laceymae

laceymae New Member

you guys crack me up...

Sittin here in my little holler in the hills of Ky, I guess the wildest thing we see is the revenuers comin outta the hills to catch the moonshiners...

BTW...have u guys ever heard of bootleggers?
    That is the only place in the county where I live to buy alcohol.

My brothers workcar looks like a police car, when he pulled up the the bootleggers for his nightly brew, they didn't recognize the car and thought they were getting raided.

Not sure how I got on this subject,but...I guess trying to remember a young,slim,sexy looking...oh well.
  16. rockgor

Sure, I know about bootleggers. My dad used to take me along to visit one when I was kid.

We lived in the rolling hills of SE Minnesota (same area that was recently flooded). In our county the sale of beer was legal, but not booze. You had to drive to the neighboring county to buy liquor.

Anyway there was an old lady in our village named Ma Ryan who lived in a big old house. You could sit in her kitchen and drink for hours and talk to your friends, just like a bar. Or she'd slip you a bottle in a paper bag.

I just discovered a new author named Joan Hess. She has a series of mysteries set in rural Arkansas featuring a gal as the village police chief. A bootlegger is a recurring character.

Bottoms Up!