HEY I'M NEW ON THE BOARD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KIMBOW, Sep 7, 2002.

1. KIMBOW

KIMBOW New Member

Dear Survivors,
    I'm new and just wanted to say hello ! I was dx's in 1991 with all the DDas you all call it. I have got a question for you. When you go on vactions do any of you go into flares for weeks.Ido every time I go somewhere I get in very bad shape and suffer for about two weeks. has anyone got the same problem? My age is 35.
    GOD BLESS EACH ONE,
    KIMBOW
  2. KIMBOW

KIMBOW New Member

Dear Survivors,
    I'm new and just wanted to say hello ! I was dx's in 1991 with all the DDas you all call it. I have got a question for you. When you go on vactions do any of you go into flares for weeks.Ido every time I go somewhere I get in very bad shape and suffer for about two weeks. has anyone got the same problem? My age is 35.
    GOD BLESS EACH ONE,
    KIMBOW
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Kimbo, welcome to our world. I just read your Bio, you sure have your place full.

Can't help with vacations, but others will be sharing with you how they cope with traveling etc.

Yes, we are Survivors, good name for us.

Glad you found us, and hope we hear a lot from you in the future.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

Before I go on a trip I always prepare so I will be able to take the best care possible of myself. I try to rest up before I leave and prepare for leaving by doing a little at a time for several days, instead of my former routine of putting it all off to the last minute and then racing to be ready on time.

I also plan to rest daily while I am gone. I know that if I don't I will wilt before day's end and be headed for a flare.

On my last trip, which was a business conference, but they are so much fun it's hard to call it work, I left a day early so I wouldn't arrive and have to immediately get going at the conference. A friend with FMS also went early and we shared a room the first night. As soon as we got to our room we lay down and rested for at least an hour.

The conference began in the afternoon of the following day so we opted to sleep in and get a leisurely breakfast before checking in for the conference. Then we went to our rooms and rested until it was time for the main event at 3 PM.

I rented a scooter for the entire stay there and it was a lifesaver. I would have never been able to walk all over the huge hotel complex where we were staying. With my mixed up sense of direction I was always getting lost and never would have been able to do all the retracing of my "steps" to get where I was going. The scooter gave me independence and freedom to go where I wanted, when I wanted. It also allowed me to do things by myself.

When I returned home I was tired. I usually am after a trip. But I didn't go into a flare. I had houseguests, but just my son and his fiancee and they understand my limitations so I was able to get rested when I got home.

I know I've rambled enough. I hope some of it is helpful to you.

Barbara
  5. deecrossett

deecrossett New Member

Welcome, so glad you are here. Treat yourself and visit the other Boards and surf all over this site, there's lots of good stuff. You will find so many nice people, you'll wonder why you haven't come here before.
    As for vacations, we can't afford those, but I do know just traveling 200 miles round trip to my Rheumy puts me into a flare. I did this earlier this week and have felt bad since. There are a lot of things that you can do to prevent the flare from being too bad. Pacing yourself is the most important thing, above all else. You also need to rest up before you go and when you return. While you are there, taking time out everyday to rest and relax is vital. Be aware if what you are doing is fatiguing or stressing you body. And don't forget your comfort items, like a pillow, rice socks, essential oils or whatever you use to manage your pain.
    I'm sure you will get a lot of responses on this question. Welcome again.
    God bless, Deena
  6. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

You've already got some fantastic advice, so I will just say hi and tell you I'm sorry you've had such a rough road. Hope you can maybe find some things from here to help make your life easier. I'll look forward to seeing your posts.

Take care. Michele
  7. PMangels

PMangels New Member

Looks like you already recieved the best advice anyone could give but when I'm traveling I have to make special stops just so I can walk. When I'm on vacation I must not sit to long or I will get terrible back and hip pain.

Anyway I just stopped in to welcome you to the board. There are a lot of caring helpful people here. There is also lots of resources on this site for you to check. Happy surfing.

Arlene
  8. meandyou

meandyou New Member

Hi,
    I have always had to spend a few weeks getting back to where I was before I went since I got sick. I really try not to go on vacations in the winter because I am usually very sick from the weather change. I really try to pace myself where ever I go. I can't do things like I use to . It's a Whole New World since getting sick in 1991. It really is sad in away, I look at other people my age and just wonder when my life will be normal again if ever. I am a single woman again and probably will stay that way because of this diease. It helps to have a group like this go to. Take care and have a good day.

meandyou,
    theresa