Hey, Jelly, Dr. Nicolson Answered My E-Mail

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I really don't feel that he answered my concerns about the mycoplasmas causing autoimmune illness, but this is what he said:

I usually suggest that patients try to get off antibiotics as soon as they feel that they can without relapsing. Obviously each patient is different and each patient requires a unique approach to their problems. I suggest that you try some of the immune enhancement products along with ABX so that when you stop the ABX the immune enhancement is enough to control your chronic infections.

Prof. Nicolson

I did reply and thanked him for answering so fast and thanked him for his work.

I am starting to feel better, so as soon as I'm back up and running well, I will try again to cycle off the Doxy. I still have great concerns about autoimmune disease, but I guess I'll just have to hope my body doesn't go after my DNA while killing off the last of the wee beasties. It would seem a shame after all I've gone through to heal from FMS and CFS only to contract MS or Lupus.

Love, Mikie
  2. Sky

Sky New Member

Hi Mikie,
    I'm not Jelly, but just wanted to say that I thought it was awesome that Dr. Nicolson answered your e-mail. I do hope that the next time you try to cycle off the antibiotics that you do so successfully. I know this has been a long battle for you.
    I'm on 'new' antibiotic that's better than Cipro (what the doc said) for a UTI (hate those things). I forgot the name, but it starts with an 'L'.Anyway, all I have to say is that I don't like it - keeps me totally wired at night so I can't sleep. But I haven't gone into Herx, which I am very happy about. Only 2 more days, so I can deal with little sleep to get rid of the infection.

Anyway, I've been out of the office, so need to get to work.

Glad to see your post,
    Love
    Sky
    [This Message was Edited on 01/23/2003]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, it was awesome that he answered personally and soooo fast.

Sky, I'm so sorry for the UTI. I hope these antibiotics help you. Take care of yourself.

Jelly, I have tried to cycle off in the past without success probably 3 or 4 times. I'm feeling stronger since getting over whatever bug seemed to have gotten to me last week, so maybe in a week or two. I'm in no hurry, but on the other hand, I don't want to stay on them any longer than I have to. One encouraging thing is that I am not having Herx Effects any more. To me, this means that there are no longer massive killoffs going on and that the mycoplasma population is definitely dwindling.

All of us with stealth infections are really at risk of developing autoimmune stuff and I believe those who suffer the infections without medication are probably at the most risk. On the one hand, the better the bacteria or viruses are at fooling the immune system, the less chance of getting a (or another) autoimmune illness. The bad news is though that by fooling the immune system, they can thrive in the body. It's like a lose-lose situation. Sometimes I feel as though I exist as a mycoplasma motel for the little buggers to live in. EEEEEEECH!

Love, Mikie