Hey Kim & others! EARTHQUAKE here today....(: (NO CA)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fivesue, Apr 21, 2008.

1. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I just remembered it just now and thought to ask Jim if he felt it. I was a pretty good jolt...haven't heard the strength yet, but it was a rattler. Isn't it funny that I sat here, wondered if it would get stronger, it didn't, and I went on about my business forgetting that it had happened until just now.

It's all in what you're used to...now if we had a funnel cloud or something like you guys get, it would be in the news for months.

I'll add what strength it was when I hear. Funny that after you mentioned about your earthquake, I was thinking it had been a long time between quakes here. Hummmm....maybe I'd best keep those thought at bay!

Anyway, just thought I'd share that.

[This Message was Edited on 04/21/2008]
  2. skikat

skikat New Member

the new madrid fault that covers about 5 states in the midwest, (where i live) just caused an earthquake here this past couple days ago. we are still having tremors and aftershocks from it. this fault is even bigger than the san andres fault in cal. but most people didnt even know about it . back in the 1800's it let loose killing thousands upon thousands. maybe millions, i cant remember what it said. coming origionally from missouri, i have known about it for years, but not many do. actually the place in ill. that was the epicenter of this is just across from st. louis mmo. the fault is named after NEW MADRID, MO.

it will let loose again they say only much bigger than this one which was either 5.2 or 6.2 i think. guess no one is safe from nature. lol
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Yep, you guys are on a big one, for sure. I know about that quake--series of quakes and the devastation done from them. That area now is very heavily populated so the destruction would be massive.

We live on the coast, and just off shore is a subduction zone. If you don't know what that is...and you very well may...it is where continental plates meet. We have three meeting in our area. The plates bump together and one is pulled under another one, and the pressure builds. Every three hundred years or so, one breaks loose and a massive earthquake occurs....There was one in the year 1700 that changed the whole coastline of the west coast and cause a tidal wave that wiped out forests in Japan.

Then, in 1964 Alaska had a massive earthquake due to the same condition. It was 9 something on the scale and shook for 5 minutes, redoing the landscape completely.

It caused a tidal wave that actually killed 10 people, I believe, in a little city just 90 miles north of Eureka, where I live and lived....I was in high school then.

So, we are conditioned to expect a big one, but I really don't know if we do. We just go along from day to day and every now and then we get a shake which should send me running to get my earthquake kit assembled...but when it's over and it's just a normal little shaker, I actually forget it happened.

So...a long answer that probably isn't needed, but just thought I'd share a bit how precarious life is everywhere...we all have our hidden and not so hidden dangers lurking.

Hope you have a great day.

4. ksp56

ksp56 Member

So YOU were 'rockin' and a rollin'! LOL

Hmm, hoping this doesn't become an epidemic! Who know's, maybe we'll get rattled closer to each other!

5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

....there have been predictions since 1969 that an earthquake is coming and CA will fall off into the Pacific Ocean. We lived in San Diego then, and they even predicted a date. People were driving to Nevada...possibly to buy up new beach-front property.

We didn't believe it and we were right. Every now and then, though, it surfaces again. CA is falling into the ocean.

Guess it could. Would be a pretty exciting way to go, wouldn't it? (-:

Hope all is good with you.

6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

It was only a 3.7, but it was right under Eureka about 7 miles under us. So, it shook but no biggie.

We will have another big, big earthquake...no one knows when, of course. But the longer we go without, the more inevitable it becomes.

Just wrapping this up.

Hope today was a good one.

7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i was living in michigan at the time when it came out...now i have been living in california since 1990...i have felt some rattlers...but so far been safe...it beats the tornado's

8. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Hey, Jodie, I agree. I'd rather take my chances with earthquakes than face tornadoes!

Did you ever experience one? It just remind me of "The Wizard of Oz" and everything being blown away. Also, there have been some horrible ones this year. So scary.

But, I guess it's what you get used to. At least there are usually tornado warnings whereas there is not such thing for earthquakes.

Glad you're happy in CA...I'm a native and life-long resident. Kind of set in my ways.

9. skikat

skikat New Member

i now live in iowa and we have plenty of the tornadoes but between iowa and missouri both, over the years, i have been caught in 5 tornadoes. almost got killed in 3 of them. in the contry where i live now, we dont get sirens as we did in kansas city.

we do hae weather radios, but as with a walkie -talkie, you dont have one on yu all of the time that you are working outside or in the fielsd (like farmers etc) so the tornadoes catch many unaware. also many touch down when we are all tucked into our beds and they are on you before you can do much.

just have to wait and pray that GOD will protect us.
  10. fivesue

fivesue New Member

It sounds scary to me. It's good that some places have horns to alert people, but you're right about people being outside, without a radio, etc.

And...it seems like many of them come in the middle of the night when nothing but a loud siren or something would wake people.

You are a survivor of five, eh? My hat's off to you. Be careful.