Hey, My Gluten-Free Friends

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just bought some delicious Van's waffles. Publix doesn't carry the "Ancient Grains" GF waffles but Target does. OMG, they have cinnamon in them and are almost like eating a Cinnabon. Well, maybe not but I've been without anything with gluten in it that these taste wonderful to me. One could mix up a little icing of powdered sugar and milk to drizzle over them and really have an almost-Cinnabon.

These are really rich and I think I could do with only one for breakfast.

Love, Mikie
  2. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

I have to be careful of "goodies"...and these sound yummy. One GF cookie can have 100 calories depending on who makes them. I try to avoid "goodies" made with soy and many are.

I've read where people believe they'll lose weight going GF. I have to laugh since it's only a replacement for simple carbs. If a person eats a bunch of GF foods, they ain't gonna lose weight!

Early on going GF, I found Bob's Red Mill GF flour. I'd be lost without it. I can keep my DH happy when frying chicken or making gravy. It works!! I also use corn starch for gravy...but, now that I realize most corn is over 90% GMO, I hesitate to use it often. But, heck, now that I'm in my 70's, I really shouldn't worry about getting tumors...paranoia? Probably!:rolleyes:
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't eat soy unless it's just a very small amt. in GF products. GF products often contain rice and corn and can be high in carbs and calories. The Ancient Grains waffles are 105 calories each. One is all it takes to satisfy me. There is no soy listed in the ingredients. I'm not sure about their other GF waffles. These waffles contain 6 gms. each of fiber. Two would get one to almost half a day's requirement.

The ingredients are: Water, Van's Gluten Free Whole Grain Mix (Brown Rice Flour, Millet, Teff, Buckwheat, Sorghum, Amaranth, Quinoa), Tapioca Starch, Non-GMO Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Inulin, Potato Starch, Cane Sugar, Rice Bran, Baking Powder (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Rice Flour, Monocalcium Phosphate), Van's Natural Fruit Juice Blend (Pineapple, Peach and Pear Juice Concentrates), Flaxseed, Cinnamon, Rice Flour,, Vanilla Extract, Sunflower Lecithin, Sea Salt.

In the book, "Wheat Belly, it stated that when one goes GF, one usually loses weight and belly fat as long as one doesn't replace wheat with other high-calorie foods. Eating GF grains has stopped my desire for sweet baked goods. One piece of GF bread or a waffle is very satisfying. I've lost 13-15 pounds, depending on the day. All my pants are slipping down around my hips. Does that make me a hipster? :)

There is something in wheat which causes one to crave sweets, usually involving more wheat. The book described this. It's not GMO which is making so many allergic; it's using hybrid strains of wheat which can be grown in areas where, formerly, it wouldn't grow. This is a life saver in third-world countries but, eventually, those people will likely develop allergies too.

The ancient grains do not make nice smooth bread or pizza dough because they lack gluten, the substance which makes dough smooth and pliable. These waffles are a bit chewy and crunchy. "Smithsonian Magazine" had an article about people trying to cultivate and save what they call, "heritage grains." I think there will be more and more GF products and restaurants serving GF foods. My kids are planning to take me to a GF pizza place where they serve delicious GF pizza. Yea!

Have a lovely GF day.

Love, Mikie

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Diane,

As the Baby Boomers age, I think we will see some healthier options. At least, I hope so. Sales of sodas, like Coke, are down. If people demand better food, we might get it.

Love, Mikie
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Hi Awl,

You are right Mikie about if we demand it EVENTUALLY they will make more products with low salt, etc. just as they have for Gleuten. I an not on no or low gluten, at least, not at this point.

Still haven't figured about my stupid rash. Have any of you gotten a rash from eating gleuten products. I am guessing my problem is something I am ingesting and have been trying to figure it out OR from the Prednisone. Not sure if any of you saw my post that on one replied to. However, I have seen some posts on line about people who got a weird rash, mostly on arms and legs, after coming off Prednisone. I think I did so one of the times I came off Prednisone before. But thinking it was more from the Poison ivy I had ( so I got back on Prednisone). At that time it wasn't as bad and long lasting rash.

Haven't done any research on Gluten allergy symptoms . Is it mostly digestive problems with the allergy /sensitivity to gluten??

This is very interesting and they do seem to have quite a few things now that are gluten free that I have seen in the stores. The low salt are getting there but still has a lot more than we need and it is rare to see on that is low salt and low fat too or probably gluten free. Those waffles sound good. We used to eat frozen Eggo waffles and they were yummy but now eating Cheerios with Blueberries or DH eats oatmeal mostly in the cooler weather.

Thanks for your interesting and educational posts about this !!

Love to you awl,
    Granni
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Granni,

There are people with Celiac Disease who cannot eat gluten or they have Crohns-like symptoms. Then, there are various levels of tolerance to wheat. Wheat allergies can be mild or almost as bad as with Celiac. I used to get soooo tired all the time after eating breakfast, which included wheat. I had upset stomach problems too. I read an article in our newspaper which explained all this. My friend told me about the "Wheat Belly" book and I read it. It was an "Aha" moment.

One evening, I drank a glass of milk before going to bed. I've always loved dairy. I immediately cramped up and doubled over. The dairy allergy came on instantly. The book stated that people with wheat allergies will often develop allergies to dairy. I drink Lactaid milk and even the cats like it now. I can tolerate yogurt, probably because of the live bacteria. I cannot eat ice cream anymore even with a Lactaid tablet. Just another thing I can no longer have.

Granni, did your doc scrape the rash and have it cultured? Sometimes that's the only way to identify rashes, even for dermatologists. My ongoing rash on my face was a fungus. It's gone now, thank God. Doc had to culture it to be sure. Mom had psoriasis but the doc thought it was eczema until it was cultured. Good luck with your back and rash.

Love, Mikie
  7. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Mikie banana makes excellent ice cream if you can tolerate banana's. No other ingredients needed at all. Just cut into pieces, freeze for 3 hours and use the blender on it. It will give lovely sunday like soft creamy tasty ice cream.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks, Soul, I appreciate it. I've been thinking about other frozen things I can substitute. When I had my shoulder surgery, Barb bought me some popcicles and they were delicious and great because I couldn't have anything solid. I've kinda lost the taste for ice cream. I think I may be able to have frozen yogurt or sherbet. I just hope this is the last of the food allergies.

Thanks again.

Love, Mikie
  9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Thanks Mikie for the info on Wheat and gluten allergies. I knew some of it as I have some friends that can't eat wheat or Gluten. That freezing bananas sounds like a good idea for you to try. I hardly ever buy bananas any more as it seems that they end up rotting. DH is not a big fruit fan and if he eats 1/2 a banana it is a big deal :)!!

No I didn't go to the doctor as I figure he will just try and get me back on Prednisone again. I hope I can get it taken care of naturally without the doc. I called the doc last time as we were supposed to be going away.

Soul - Nice idea about the frozen bananas. I think I have heard that one but have never tried it. I don't think I am lactose intolerant but have heard from at least one friend who has become so as they grow older - very weird !

Diane - Hope you are feeling better.! I see you playing games so you be doing a little better !!

Hugz to everydobby, :)
    Granni
  10. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

when my children were younger I would freeze the bananas so I could have them handy for a smoothy. It works great with some milk, sugar, a little protein powder, some nonfat yogurt and maybe a fresh peach or something else. I'll have to start doing that again for when my grandchildren come over because keeping bananas without them turning brown right away is hard.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Granni, my thought was that no one has cultured your rash so you don't really know what you are dealing with or how to treat it. It might be worth it.

Before I saw the dermatologist, my PCP gave me an Rx for cortisone cream. Dermatologist said that was the worst thing for a fungal rash. She said that's the first thing docs prescribe and it just makes things worse. I'm hoping this will clear up for you. Have you tried topical colloidal silver? It might help.

Sunflower Girl, bananas are great in smoothies. I can't eat them once they get black speckles on them. They have to be almost green or I can't get them down. The speckled ones are OK in a smoothie and seem to hold everything together.

Diane, I have also heard about putting the nanas in the fridge. I should try it. I throw far too many of them out.

I still have no normal appetite and only eat when I just have to.

Love, Mikie
  12. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Okay...about cookies...try to find Pamela's brand cookies. They're my favorite. I freeze them since I don't eat cookies too often, but want them on hand when the urge hits. They offer bite-size and standard size cookies. Also, Jennie's brand of macaroons are nummy (including the all important "chocolate!!!":)).

I bake myself cheesecake and make it "crust free". I line the bottom of the springform pan with parchment paper. After it's cooled, I cut it into serving pieces, wrap them then put it all in my freezer. Again, I don't eat it often, but it's there if I have a craving. I use a Philadelphia Cream Cheese (no wheat) recipe and generally 1/2 it. If you want a topping, heck, plain old preserves add a nice plus.

For bread, the brand I prefer is "Gluten Free Pantry". I bake 2 kinds..."favorite sandwich bread" and "pizza and sour dough". They taste far better than what's offered in stores. I use a bread machine and after it's done, I slice it, let each slice dry a bit, then freeze. Again, I don't eat a lot of bread (never have...even "wheat"). I alter the recipes using olive oil rather than the oils called for on the box...also, I use a "natural" sugar. I just consider these a better option.

Yes, going GF is a plus if you have FM. I recently changed my PCP. When I said I had FM, his first words were..."Are you gluten-free?" When I said yes, he said "Great!!"
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My doc says humans were never intended to eat grains. Now, I'm not sure about that as there are some good ones out there. I think wheat was OK before they started tinkering with Mother Nature. She doesn't like it.

I'm allergic to dairy so no more cheesecake for me. I can take Lactaid and it helps some but not always. I'm going to bake a Cherry pie with a crust of butter (not enough to make me sick), GF flour and brown sugar. I still have to make my GF oatmeal cookies. Been too tired with this UTI to care.

Love, Mikie
  14. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Being gluten-free can be difficult (but it's easier these days with so many new products coming out). We generally have to cook so many things from scratch and, when we don't feel well, it just doesn't get done. Who the heck wants to cook when they don't feel well. I certainly don't...so I don't blame you one bit.

Has anyone here ever read "Eat Right 4 Your Type"? I bought this book years ago and was amazed. Basically, it's about how our bodies evolved eating based on our blood types. Here's a link:

http://www.dadamo.com/

My blood type is B+ and when I read what was best for me and what to avoid, I was amazed. The things I was told to avoid, I already was. Since you have a milk sensitivity, it's possible your body can't process it well based on your blood type. In my case, B+ people can tolerate it.

Windy
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Windy, I did scan through that book way back when it came out. At the time, it seemed nothing applied to me. I've only recently developed the wheat and dairy allergies. I am A neg. with the D Antibody from having the RH Factor during pregnancies. That was before the shots were available.

I haven't found it too difficult to give up wheat and dairy. It is hard to cook when I'm sick. I usually just eat fruit, veggies or cereal. Chex now has rice and corn cereal which is GF. Of course, it's full of high-carb stuff. This morning, I put some red raspberries on my corn Chex. I have found that if I want a snack or don't want dinner but need something, those Van's Ancient Grain waffles are good right out of the toaster. I like that they have so much fiber.

Love, Mikie
  16. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

I wish I could buy some of the GF frozen meals, but most have hidden MSG and that can put me into a spin in a NY minute. And, like others here, I'm cautious about soy, too.

Bob's Red Mill sells "gluten-free" oatmeal. Regular oatmeal in stores can contain gluten due to where they process it. That could be why some gluten intolerant folks have problems with oatmeal.

Please be cautious and don't overeat Chex cereals. Most corn (about 90%) is genetically modified with a pesticide and might cause a bad flare. We can thank Monsanto for this...grrrrrr!

I'm impressed. I bought Udi"s GF Whole Grain Bread a few days ago. I used it in lieu of a hamburger bun (toasted) and it tasted pretty good plus it didn't fall apart like some GF breads can do. (It's dairy, soy & nut free.)

It's hard to come up with meal ideas these days...and I'm not great in the cooking department as it is. I'm so cautious about so many things plus my DH had his teeth pulled over a year ago and can barely chew these days. He's not a big man to begin with, but he's lost weight and it worries me. He's become "carb" happy and every time I turn around, he's eating cookies. Sigh!

Windy
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Udi's or Rudi's makes hot dog and hamburger buns that are GF. You can freeze them. A lot of GF stuff comes from my hometown, Boulder, CO. It's a very health conscious, organic kind of place. The joke is that if your bike cost more than your car, you're probably from Boulder. The old Hippy Dippy culture is alive and well there but the new money has moved in. One Boulder Co. makes brownie chips which are a great GF treat.

I eat a millet and flax bread that is made where they process gluten. It is cross contaminated. It doesn't bother me at all which leads me to believe that I'm not a Celiac; I'm just allergic to wheat. According to "Wheat Belly," it isn't GMO which is responsible for wheat allergies. It's the hybrid strains which are responsible. I love the ancient grains waffles. Americans have become so addicted to our white soft bread but I love the crunchiness of these waffles. I buy GF flax puffs cereal and it's got a lot of fiber too.

I don't worry too much about insecticides because the organic corn is grown next to the other corn or is downwater from it. There is too much contamination for me to believe in organics. I do think it's good to get organic apples and other tree fruit with skin which is eaten.

Love, Mikie