Hey Wings1 ! ??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lendi, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Lendi

Lendi New Member

Was wondering if you like your Dr. Does she know a lot about fm/cfs? Did she do testing for yeast/infection? Anything other that the normal tests that they all do? What type of Dr. is she, rheumy, neuro, GP? Lot of questions I know. I'm in a delimna and just trying to figure out some options. The rheumy says I definitely have FM but didn't give me much help with it. Just said there is no cure, gave me a different pres. for sleep and told me to exercise building up slowly. Pretty much like I expected, but I really would like to find a Dr. that knows a lot about it. I talked to him about the overwhelming fatigue I have and he didnt' have an answer to that. Are you persueing SSDI. What is your Dr.s philosophy about work. I have one say no (CFS/neuro) and the other say yes(FM/rheumy. Thanks. Have a good day :)
    [This Message was Edited on 03/11/2003]
  2. Lendi

Lendi New Member

Bumping in case wings might be on this morning :)
    [This Message was Edited on 03/12/2003]
  3. wings1

wings1 New Member

WOW! I don't come here but once a week and then I found this.I guess I'm supposed to be here today. My dr. is a rheumy. She did blood work up and x-rays.My hip was hurting so bad at that time.My family dr. knows alot about FM,but wanted me to see a rheumy. My family dr. works with me on changing meds to see what works for me. I'm not a good patient in the sense that I don't like to take meds. I have had shots in my hips twice. Only when I couldn't take the pain anymore. She wanted to give me one last week,because my tender points were so painful. Told her "no".Wanted to do a sleep test. I said "no".I used to give those.
    My rheumy is compassionate and very understanding. I will be honest with you.She is hard to get into. She is that busy.She is that good. I didn't discuss work with my rheumy at that time.My family dr. has already encouraged me to get SSI for my dd when her asthma was so bad.She got it.Doesn't get it now,because she is much better. No,I don't get SSDI. Thought about it.I'm sure she would help me. She knows me well enough that if I said I could not work anymore because of the pain,she would help me get SSDI. I work with my husband when I feel like I can handle it.
    If I were you I would start with a family dr.(mine?)and get a referral to Dr. Illera. Just a suggestion.
    I hope this answers some of your questions. Did you see my questions to you on the thread when you fell? About support groups?
    About the pain-I was sent to a physical therapist.Told that water exercise helps alot.I'm going to start that next week at the YMCA.Found out the times today.Also the rheumy told me for every ten pounds a person loses,it is like forty pounds off your joints.You may not have that issue.Flexeril and Elavil put forty pounds on me.And I do not like it. Working on that.
    Sorry this is so long and I hope I have helped in some small way. To be truthful,I am just now really coming to terms with this dd.I have been trying to ignore the pain.The drs. have offered all kinds of meds and help and I just keep trying to go it alone,but I know I will be asking for more help soon.Like next week.

GOD BLESS
    WINGS1
  4. Lendi

Lendi New Member

I've had such a tough time finding a Dr. who knows something about this DD other than the fact that there is no cure and come back in 4 weeks. I don't know if there is anything to help with the fatigue, my worse enemy, but I would feel better hearing it from someone recommended who really knows something about this DD. Right now the Dr's are just arguing about which med I should take to put me to sleep and I'm somewhat confused. The pain I can deal with, the non-existant life I can not. I will check into getting an appt. even if it takes awhile. Unless the Dr. instists, I don't need a referral from insurance. She is part of my group. Right now I'm kinda like an ostrich and hiding my head in the sand hoping it will all go away as quickly as it arrived. I would love to try the support groups, but after a full day at work the idea of going anywhere that far is pretty rough. If I can get my energy level up, maybe when it is light longer, I'll try to get to one. I do believe God has a plan and that he brought you to the board tonight. I appreciate your help.
    Lendi
  5. wings1

wings1 New Member

I am stumbling through this DD myself. And I'm trying to pretend I don't have FM, but by 7pm my body is SCREAMING it at me. I hope you get into to see the dr. up here real soon.Will say a prayer for that one. I went to a support meeting yesterday for the first time and it was great. Now,it was in the early afternoon and that's the only reason I could go. I just thought you might want to know. I fully understand being exhausted at night. My crockpot is my best friend.lol. I know we will all eat when I use it. Otherwise it difficult to get a meal on the table. ABOUT your drs. down there. Not to bad mouth,just passing this on. My MIL has lived there her whole life in and around both Bulldogs and Vikings. She does not care for any of the drs. down there. She either drives up here or goes south to another town.So I think you're instincts are right to seek other medical advice.Please let me know (if you don't mind)whether you will be able to see the dr. up here or not.I hope she helps you.

God Bless(and I do mean that)
    Wings1
  6. Lendi

Lendi New Member

Who is your family Dr? I guess if she/he knows a lot about CFS/FM maybe that would be a good place to start, too. The Dr.s around here are not too great and since I fired one, from the clinic here, and am unimpressed with the others. That's why I stuck with the one I have for so long. I dont' know who I'm going to go to. Just ticked me off when he said CFS/FM are nothing but bunk. If you can't trust your physician, who can you trust? Just live in our bodies for a bit and say that! Interesting about your MIL's feelings! She's pretty much right as I haven't heard much about the Viking Dr.s either. Especially since their clinic couldn't stay open due to Dr.s leaving.
    If there is a time you can be on here, let me know and I'll make a point of being here too. I'll post my e-mail addy just long enough for you to get it. Just makes me nervous keeping it public :) I would love to go to the support group. Maybe someday!
  7. wings1

wings1 New Member

I'm with you. Take this body for one day and see if he/dr. isn't screaming for some relief. I have never had anything like that said to me. How awful. My drs. are kind and caring. I'm the problem,being a very stubborn patient. Not wanting to have this and all. My family dr. is Dr. Darla Rivera and I think she is still accepting patients. She is a Christian. Has 7 children. She had two and adopted five from different countries. She is a very neat lady. Talks very fast,but that is just her natural speed. She is very thorough.The nurses who work for her are also great. I will make myself a note to be on here this coming Monday at 5:30pm.Does that work? I agree with your concern on the internet.

On a lighter note. Do you know about "Taste of Home" cooking magazine and it's sister magazine "Quick Cooking"? They are coming to your town next month. I have been to one and they are great. I'm by no means a great cook,so I need ideas. Things that don't take me all day in the kitchen. The one I went to was in your town with MIL. You can sit in a soft chair and watch them make the food and then they GIVE it away as door prizes.They have one up here next month also and I'm taking my dd's. I thought you once said you had kids that would be old enough to enjoy this with you.It's been a few years since they came so close around these parts,so I thought I would mention it. Geezzzz I sound bossy. Telling you all these things. I am not a bossy person,just looking for any of life's small pleasures.

God Bless,Lendi
    Wings1
  8. Lendi

Lendi New Member

I'll be here at 5:30 monday and watch for you. Actually, I'll post and wait for you to answer and post again. That should work! I'll definietely check into your family Dr. I think that's where I need to start.
    Cool about the magazines people coming here. I hadn't even heard about it. That's sad since I live here. It would be fun for DD and I to go to it together :)
    Take care, have a nice weekend.
    Hugs, Lendi