hey you gotta hear the good news

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by allie2, Oct 4, 2002.

1. allie2

allie2 New Member

Hi fibrofriends. I recently went to alexandria for the doctors appointment of a lifetime. I was seen by doctor Jacob Tietlebaum, he is the author of the book from fatigued to fantastic. My appointment was five hours long and was tape recorded so i could remember all important information. A series of lab work was done to rule out the many problems with fibro and chronic fatigue. This doctor is so wonderful and compassionate. He was so understanding and answered all the questions myself and my family had. He also did an exam while i was there. I have been put on a very extensive treatment that requires me to take many medications. I felt quite a bit better just after leaving his office. However, the visit and medications are very expensive. So, unless you are prepared to put out some money this is not the place to go. However, if you have insurance or prescription help it helps a lot. If anybody wants to ask me more just post me a topic and right attention allie. I truely feel I am on my way to recovery. I love you all and hope some day you will be able to tackle these problems too.

*HUGS*
    allie
  2. allie2

allie2 New Member

Hi fibrofriends. I recently went to alexandria for the doctors appointment of a lifetime. I was seen by doctor Jacob Tietlebaum, he is the author of the book from fatigued to fantastic. My appointment was five hours long and was tape recorded so i could remember all important information. A series of lab work was done to rule out the many problems with fibro and chronic fatigue. This doctor is so wonderful and compassionate. He was so understanding and answered all the questions myself and my family had. He also did an exam while i was there. I have been put on a very extensive treatment that requires me to take many medications. I felt quite a bit better just after leaving his office. However, the visit and medications are very expensive. So, unless you are prepared to put out some money this is not the place to go. However, if you have insurance or prescription help it helps a lot. If anybody wants to ask me more just post me a topic and right attention allie. I truely feel I am on my way to recovery. I love you all and hope some day you will be able to tackle these problems too.

*HUGS*
    allie
  3. cpalance

cpalance New Member

Just wanted to say Hey-I am glad you found a doctor. That is so important to all of us and such a hard task. You said that you went to alexandria, where is that? The only Alexandria I know of is in MN. What kind of drug program did he put you on? I am very interested to hear more.

Thanks,
    Cindy
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

Isn't great to come away feeling validated and like something is finally being done to help you? I felt the same way after my first visit to my current doc.

I'd be interested to her what types of meds he has you on. I'm taking a lot, in part because of along with CFIDS and FM I also have NMH which takes four meds just for it.

What are you taking for sleep? What about pain? Also, what supplements, if any did he recommend?

I'm pleased with my own doc, but always looking for little things that may bring some additional improvement.

You mentioned you saw him in Alexandria. Do you live nearby? I am in Herndon, and my great doc is in Reston.

Thanks,
    Barbara
  5. WifeHasFMS

WifeHasFMS New Member

My wife has FMS and I am want to find out as much as possable. Can you tell us what the meds are? When you say treatment, what exactly is it?

I hope it works for you and everybody else.

Thanks,

WifeHasFMS
  6. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

I have read so much about Dr. Jacob Teitlebaum - anyone whose done their FM research knows who he is!

Please keep us posted on how you are feeling - I am very interested to learn all about it. Maybe you could post once a week on how your prescribed 'Teitlebaum Protocol' is working for you?!! I'm sure many of us will want to know
    it is working - Thanks!
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You are so right about the whole hypoglycemia-insulin resistance-diabetes thing. I've been begging my doc for a long time to address my weight, increased levels of cholesterol and triglicerides, bad ratio of HDL to LDL, and elevated blood pressure. He just kept saying, "Watch your diet." Duh! Clueless! Watch it how?

Thank God for Klutzo telling us about Syndrome X. I've posted my amazing results after only two weeks on the Suzanne Somers high-protein/low-carb diet. I have always tried to eat a lot of protein and few carbs, but now, I eat nothing made with flour, no sugar, no white rice, and no white potatoes. Also, I'm not eating high-starch veggies. I eat some low-sugar fruits but only by themselves.

As you know, I'm also a proponent of exercise at whatever level can be tolerated. Also as you also know, with CFS, exercise is not always well tolerated, especially when I'm flat on my back in bed. However, even then, I'm doing my flexes and stretches to keep my muscles toned and strong til I can get back to more vigorous exercising. It also keeps me flexible.

I know we are all different and have different needs for medications. I also think we have to be careful of what docs prescribe. I'm fighting to take off the 40 pounds I put on when I first got sick and went along with the docs when they prescribed Elavil and Flexeril, neither of which helped; yet, they remain two of the most prescribed meds around for FMS.

We have had members go up to see Dr. Cheney, whom I admire for being an expert on CFIDS, but I have not seen where anyone has gotten appreciably better long term from having spent an arm and a leg for seeing him. This is not to say that he and Dr. Teitlebaum are not compassionate, understanding, and thorough, but the bottom line for me is to get better and be able to get off as many drugs as possible.

That said, I think in my case, I have swapped some drugs for others. My Klonopin and Guai have taken the place of Morphine for pain. Klonopin helps my pain by allowing me to get good quality sleep. BTW, friend, I think I'm going to take the Guai every other day, alternating with the ZMA now that the Guai has helped me so much. Thanks for being such a proponent of ZMA. You have helped many.

Love, Mikie