HGH injections, has anyone tried

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ll1816, Nov 30, 2006.

1. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Hi all:

I saw my neuro yesterday and he has been studying the effects and benefits of HGH injections, especially on those w/Fibro, CFS and Parkinson's (his father-in-law has Parkinson's) and is thinking I might be a good candidate.

He thinks it might help me especially with energy and vitality.

Was wondering if anyone has tried these Human Growth Hormone injections.

Thanks and hugs,
    Liz
  2. deliarose

deliarose New Member

Cheney has noted "a profound loss of HGH" in cFS patients.. which makes sense if you're not getting any stage 3 or 4 sleep.

But it does make cells multiply .. and you don't want that if you have any cancer cells lurking about ....(not very scientifically put.. but u get the point)

I suppose the question is : "Where are the long-term studies showing the effect of HGH supplementation?"

I think the HGH effect may be one reason Xyrem makes some people feel so good. But I only lasted a week on that med. Made me lose my mind.

I subsequently discovered some docs are very leery of prescribing it (Xyrem) given that it is such a powerful drug .. operating on the Central Nervous System...and it's mechanism is unkown.

Comforting no?

Sorry. More questions than answers.

Delia

3. Catseye

Catseye Member

I am an inch away from getting this and trying it myself. I've gone through Cheney's article where he talks about it and the risks. He says lack of HGH can cause other hormones to become ineffective even though they are at normal levels because HGH is necessary for the functioning of the receptor sites where other hormones take effect. That explains all the normal hormone levels of thyroid and adrenal even though all the symptoms of deficiency are there.

The risks are any virus you have may multiply and become activated. Even stopping the HGH may not stop the activation and it may stay like that for awhile.

The immune system overactivation may become even more activated.

If you have cancer, well, you can imagine what will happen.

RNase L is a protein and HGH can increase production of this protein. This could impair liver function more than it may be already doing.

So Cheney says when they keep HGH at a low lever, like .2 mg injected once a week, 99.9% of people don't have problems.

He also talks about using it with growth factor, but I want to worry about HGH by itself.

I remember reading somewhere that the majority of cfs patients have the th2 more active than the th1 part of the immune system and that's why they don't tend to have cancer.

So I figure it's a good bet I don't have cancer and if I feel bad I'll discontinue it. It's supposed to take months to really do its work.

So am I a complete nut or would anybody else consider trying HGH without a doctor? It's not like they've been particularly helpful, thusfar. Anybody know anything else about them? karen
  4. leubie

leubie New Member

hey----what is hgh----does it have to be rx--------------------wher can you get it w/out a docs rx---------how is similar to xyrem---------i took that years and years ago when that was still sold in health food stores ---thanks for any info---------love to all---laura
  5. KewlJewLs

KewlJewLs New Member

My endocrinologist tested me 7 yrs ago and was of course I was hypo-thyroid but also Growth Hormone Deficient. I take daily injections of HGH, by prescription and am closely monitored.

I can say that I did notice a difference within a month of using it, however that was 7 yrs ago. Today I am 70% better than before the injections, BUT it isn't a cure for CFS or FMS. I still deal with muscle ache and burning, the fatigue and chronic pain daily.

The way I understand it, it helps to regulate your insulin and glucose by balancing your proteins and sugars. Therefore you have better absorption of your foods and can feed your muscles and cells more like a person who is NOT deficient.

Just my 2cents in my experience.
    Stacey
  6. Catseye

Catseye Member

Human Growth Hormone is your most potent detoxifier and repair hormone in your body. Idealy, you make it in the middle of the night in deep sleep, between like 11 and 1, and especially if you exercise. Sex, too, will increase it. Like every other thing, you make less as you get older.

According to Cheney, cfs doctor and genius, if you don't have enough in your body, you can only improve to a certain point and you won't fully recover until you have enough in your body. It's available by prescription or from smart drugs websites, I've seen it. It's very expensive and can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. You can detoxy too fast and overwhelm your liver or you can grow cancer or viruses or you can use it and get better!

Are you sure you mean Xyrem? That's GHB, a drug for narcolepsy and some guys in bars have found other not-so-nice things to do with it. HGH is injectable, expensive and there are more risks than I mentioned above but those are the ones facing cfs patients and the ones I'm concerned with.

I've read alot about it and I'm ready to try it but anybody else should really read all they can stand about it before making a decision like this. It's powerful and it's going to make some significant changes in your body. If you're really bad off, you should wait until you've recovered a good bit. It's available here in the Dominican Republic and I can probably get my hands on it if I grease the right palm. I guess I'll post what happens. karen

7. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I've been using it for about 1 year now. It's works great and I only need to spend $30 a month for the real thing. I don't need that much anymore but even when I was full dosing it was only costing me $120 a month. I get mine compounded through Signature Pharmacy. It's very high quality, much better than what I was getting through the FFC and half the price.

As far as needing it. I probably don't anymore, but I was glad to be taking it in the beginning. I think that taking Thyroid and Testosterone replacement was really the main thing for me...The HGH was icing on the cake, a very nice icing. But for those who have a really big deficiency, it's a definite must.

As for taking secretagog (not sure of the spelling) products like L-Arginine. From what I've read it can work but you have to take at least 30grams a day for it to do anything. Quite a high dose and more than most could take in a day. The only way you can really get your HGH levels to rise is to inject.

8. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Wow...you all gave me such much food for thought. I guess the first thing I should have done is to have the IGF-1 test. Isn't that the one that measures your growth hormone level? I would think that if I'm in the normal range, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to have this treatment.

I'll really have to consider this with great thought after reading all of your replies.

One thing that comes to mine is that I get cold sores, the herpes simplex, and because it's a virus am wondering if the HGH injections could increase the frequency and duration. Something to think about.

Thank you all again for all of your information. I will really have to study more about this and take the risks into consideration.

Hugs to all,
    Liz
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

She stated she got completely better after doing the HGH injections, no residual problems, altho she's the only one I can remember reading about firsthand who did.

I remember her username, but her posts are all gone unfortunately. There are other posts over the years about it, if you put 'HGH' inthe search box above you'll be able to browse thru them ... and, not sure what's in the library here about using HGH.

I guess HGH falls unfortunately into the same category of most if not all protocols... doesn't help everyone to the same extent if at all.

Hope it works for you!!
    All the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 11/30/2006]
  10. munch1958

munch1958 Member

When I started at FFC in March my IGF-1 was 88. During the short time I felt great it rose to 121. I felt like my hormones were working for the first time in a long time.
    Now that I've crashed my IGF-1 fell back down to 88. Normal range is supposed to be 88-249 and FFC's optimal range is 200-350.

I have ZERO libido and I am currently taking:

100 mcg. Liothyronine
    5 mg. hyrocortisone 3X
    progesterone 100 mg. 2X (days 13-27 so I have a cycle)
    estradiol 1.25 mg. + estriol 2 mg. 2X
    testosterone 1.25 mg.
    pregnenlone 100 mg. 2X
    DHEA 25 mg. 2X

The last round of labs I got back indicates that every single one of the above hormones is at the bottom or below the normal range.

Has anyone had a similiar problem? Did HGH injections help?

11. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

1) Insofar as I know, HGH is only administered by injection. "Pills" are probably segretagogues, which help the body to make HGH.

2) I was unable to take the segretagogue suggested since it gave me horrible headaches and made me feel bad in general.

3) Cheney used extremely small amounts of HGH on patients for a while and said he showed positive results. This was about 1/8 the original dose, 1-2 times per week.

4) Too much HGH seems to make CfS patients (at least those not in reasonable healh) crash. That is my experence. i believe that Hgh diverts available energy to body repair. This is all well and good, but it leaves little energy for anything else. i tried this for a month (at increasingly small doses) and periodicall in small doses ever since, and never got anything but that result.

5) Supposedly having your adrenals in good shape helps with use of Hgh. I think having other parts of the body in good shape is also important.

6) The one time I found HGH to be a miracle is when I had a severe ankle injury. After three weeks, it had healed hardly at all. Finally i decided to try Hgh to help it out. Within two days, it was almost entirely better. I was in bed those whole two days but it was worth it. I would definitely use it again for that purpose even if I had to pay full price. For a short period of time for healing, it would be worth it. Apparently a frequent use of HGh in Hollywood etc is to help recover from facial surgeries even amongst normal people

7) If you can tolerate it, HGh will make your skin look really beautiful. This is a side benefit for most of us.

8) My hope is that if I can get my viral count down with AVs or other treatments, my body might have more energy to be able to use hgh. That would be a good thing, since my hgh levels are low and ongoing repair is important.

9) BTW, the form I used was in injections. i usually put them into my stomach, since the needles are very small.

10) Getting insurance companies to pay for the "real" stuff can be a challenge, since it's expensive. You kind of need an experienced doctor who knows how to work within the system to provide evidence that's needed a lot of the time. And even then, I would imagine many plans don't cover it.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/01/2006]
  12. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Victoria:

Thank you, I'll check for posts and see what I can find.

Munch:

Did you crash while on the HGH injections or when you stopped? Do you know if you have to keeping getting them to continue to see good benefits?

Joyce:

Thanks for the Grapeseed Extract info. Does it come in liquid or pill form and if so, which do you take? I'm glad to hear that it works for you and your Mom. I'll need to get some!

Lisa:

Thanks for the great information. My adrenals haven't been the best and I recently weened off Cortef so that would be something to take into account. It sounds like for you, that it worked best for healing, but no extra energy for you. My insurance doesn't cover it, so if I decide to try it, it's going to be hard on us financially.

Thanks again to everyone for responding. Lots of great information.

Hugs,
    Liz
  13. munch1958

munch1958 Member

The FFC put me on Gamma Grow to stimulate the release of HGH. The doctor said she preferred to use the natural method instead of jumping into HGH. While they were upping my T3 the Gamma Grow seemed to be working because my IGF-1 levels did rise a little.

On the other hand, I lost 30 pounds on the fabulous candida diet (NOT!), started working out and retraining myself get in bed by 11:30 PM instead of somewhere between 3-5 AM. Sleeping at night is was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I've had a sleep disorder since 2nd grade.

I am trying to determine if my insurance would cover this therapy. The insurance wants the RX from the doc before they will say Yes or No. The doc wants to know if it's covered before she prescribes. Guess who the loser is in this game?
    [This Message was Edited on 12/01/2006]
  14. pawprints

pawprints New Member

I think Xyrem was mentioned because if you can tolerate it(I could not) it is the best way to get growth hormone and raise your levels. By getting good deep sleep with the Xyrem, your body will eventually increase its own levels.

If not, supplementing with a tiny, tiny dose of HGH if the body is low is what most CFIDS experts recommend. Normal people who want to look and feel younger, etc. dose every night with HGH. This would be too much according to the experts for CFIDS/FM patients.

You can always start low and slow and then increase if necessary. Most insurance companies are getting very reluctant to cover it since people are now using it as a way to feel younger.
  15. jarjar

jarjar New Member

And you test come back low then many HGH commpanies will ship it to your house for free if you are on disability.
    Even if you have a decent income they will lower the cost for you as it is expensive to take.

I am taking HGH injections and feel good about them But I know the major reason I feel better is the Marshall Protocol.

J
  16. KimWeb

KimWeb New Member

I would like to know more about this Signature Pharmacy and how you purchased the hgh (somatropin. I too as a patient of the FFC (Holtorf Medical group) and can no longer afford their price for the injection. It made a huge improvement in my life. Thanks for your help!!
  17. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

My cfs doctor suggested I try HGH injections about 3 years ago to help my cfs and fm. Cost a fortune. Had to inject myself each day, which was no problem.

Unfortunately, even though my own hgh levels were low the injections did not help because, for some reason, my body would/could not utilize the injected hgh.

Other patients had different experiences, but the doc. said that most of his patients who tried HGH and did not benefit were cfs patients as opposed patients with "other" hormone problems.