HHV-6 Testing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MrHappyGoLucky12, Sep 19, 2005.

1. MrHappyGoLucky12

MrHappyGoLucky12 New Member

Where can you get tested for HHV-6 - both IgG and IgM antibodies?
  2. rigby

rigby New Member

Any of your doctors can order these they are simple blood draws.
  3. Dolphin_lover

Dolphin_lover New Member

HHV-6 testing is best done by lumbar puncture! It often is hidden and blood testing is not accurate! See:www.wisconsinlab.com for testing. They are on the cutting edge!

Good luck
    Dolphin_Lover
  4. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

I was tested via blood sample sent to Medical Diagnostics Lab in New Jersey. Supposed to be one of the top labs for testing the infectous agents that we most commonly deal with.

I tested positive for chronic reactivation of HHV-6, EBV and mycoplasma.

-Laurie
  5. MrHappyGoLucky12

MrHappyGoLucky12 New Member

lbconstable,

Medical Diagnostic Labs (MDL) does not do a "complete" test for HHV-6 anymore. I had the "Human Herpes Virus 6 IgG/IgM by ELISA" test done at their lab, and my results only showed the IgG value, and the IgM value was blank. (IgG indicates a past infection or passively acquired maternal antibody. IgM indicates active infection.) Therefore, without reporting an IgM value, it is impossible to determine from the lab results whether I have an active infection. (My IgG value for the HHV-6 antibodies was over ten times higher than the reference range.) I called MDL and asked them why they didn't report a IgM value, and they said that they removed that test from their list of available tests (even though it is still listed on their Web site and lab requisition form.)[This Message was Edited on 09/25/2005]