HHV6: Red Marine Algae?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladybugmandy, Jan 30, 2009.

1. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hello. has anyone out there tried red marine algae as an antiviral?

thank you
  2. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

kelly..thanks for letting me know. can you give me the brand name of the RMA you tried, if you remember?

an article on the HHV6 foundation site said that althought RMA showed good effect in vitro, absorption is questionable since it passes through the gut, etc.

i have a whole bunch of transfer factor left from 2007, which never helped me. i would like to take it but dont know if i can add it to valcyte and valtrex.

loomis and ablashi strongly recommend immunocal/immunopro but the stuff makes me gag. i may take it anyway.

i guess i shouldnt plan on too many supplements, i probably cant afford more than 1 LMAO

loomis keeps saying immunopro, avemar, and isoprinosine. wonder why my local GP decided to say 'no' to my request for isoprinosine. i think the docs here are fed up with me seeing american docs, paying american docs huge amounts of money, and just using the canadian docs for prescriptions lol

i have a friend who said isoprinosine definitely helps him (he is not yet on antivirals). i have to find a way to get it.

3. outofstep

outofstep Member

Makes the one I've used-EBV levels went down while taking it without terrible side-effects but it didn't seem to do anything for the HHV-6. pacificbiologic.com
  4. outofstep

outofstep Member

My dr. won't prescribe it either-says it's for AIDS patients. Wondering if online dr. would prescribe it. Kelly if you don't have the website for Imunovir it's

5. waltz

waltz New Member

I got the same list from Loomis. I'm just starting the ImmunoPro. ladybugmandy, can you point me to where the article about red algae is?

You may be able to substitute brewer's yeast for the Immunovir (isoprinosine), although it may not be as potent. Then again, you will get other things from brewer's yeast such as B vitamins. I am going to try that. Dr. Cheney said isoprinosine is inosine which can be gotten from brewer's yeast and organ meats. I did some research to see if this sounds right and found that Immunovir is indeed inosine. I'm not sure what makes brewer's yeast a good source of inosine. I would not be surprised if it turned out that Immunovir were made from a brewer's yeast extract.

And regarding the doctor saying it's for AIDS patients, the company's own Web site says it's used against the many herpes viruses and measles. Incidentally, the Web site does not mention AIDS. It's not really an anti-viral anyway, but something that beefs up the immune system in getting rid of viruses.

I'm looking into the Avemar too. I'd actually like to find a food source of fermented wheat germ but I haven't been able to find any yet. If anyone knows or has any ideas, please let me know!
    [This Message was Edited on 02/01/2009]
  6. outofstep

outofstep Member

fyi I asked Kristin re: substituting inosine for isoprinosine last week and she said it wouldn't be effective.

Here's some info re: Ave-it's fermented wheat germ, it's manufactured in Hungary and the inventor is Dr Mate Hidvegi. His compound is used as an immune stimulator, an anti-metastasis substance but it also seems to inhibit autoimmune disease.

re: Isoprinosine & AIDS-google and you'll find all sorts of AIDS-related things, FDA trials, protocals, etc. but obviously there's no reason why we can't try it as well if the co. website says that it's for other things.
  7. waltz

waltz New Member

Thanks for the info. I was going to ask Kristin about that too. I wonder if the brewer's yeast wouldn't be effective because the dosage is just smaller or because the drug delivers the inosine in a different way. You can see here that Immunovir is a molecular complex of inosine and some type of salt:

On a side note, I had read some stuff about a woman, Yasko, who treats kids with autism and sells something which she seems to call RNA drops, which after perusing some autism blogs appears to be some kind of extract of brewer's yeast. There seems to be some controversy and smoke-and-mirrors fraud-ish quack stuff going on there, but I did note that there's some talk about HHV-6 or measles possibly playing a role in autism, and that Immunovir happens to be effective for herpes and measles, particularly SSPE. Looking up inosine (on Wikipedia), it says that inosine is commonly found in tRNA. So I wonder if these "RNA drops" are tRNAs with inosine and perhaps similar to Immunovir delivering inosine.

Anyway I also Google-d brewer's yeast and chronic fatigue syndrome and it seems that some people report some benefits, so I guess I will give it a try anyways even if it might help for other reasons.