Hi all - I need help from my old friends!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kay31, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Kay31

Kay31 Member

In addition to our CFIDS problems, I now have super high cholesterol and blood pressure. I cannot take any of the the meds because of the side effects. All I need is more fatigue and muscle pain; also dizziness, etc.!!!

I was put on Crestor for high chol....terrible pain. Now I'm on Benicar for the B/P - same problem. The doctor said I'm a walking candidate for a stroke.

Does anyone have any other options to control these darn scary issues?
    [This Message was Edited on 10/26/2010]
  2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

the same problems to a lesser degree. My is because the Savella I take make my normally low BP raise to a 140/90, which isn't that bad. But high for me.

And my thyroid is messing around again and that can cause high cholestrol as well as my lowered physical activities.

I mention whose because I wonder if some of your current medications make be causeing some of these other problems??

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You might want to take your BP machine to the doctors, have them take your blood pressure to see if your machine correlates to the doctors.

I did this as I was afraid I was getting false positives or negatives. It turned out that my BP machine came up with almost the exact same numbers.

4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I take Tenormin for high blood pressure. I've been on it for over 20 years and never had any bad side effects. I had CFS when I started taking it and was already having lots of bad reactions to medications. This BP med is an older one and has a good record. Ask your doctor about it. The generic is atenolol, but I take the brand name. GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 10/27/2010]
  5. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

For cholesterol try non-flush niacin 2-3 grams a day in divided doses. Im currently on 1000mg in morning and same at night, only recently started so will get cholesterol checked in 3 months or so.

6. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

i only have slight high bp but did use topamax for awhile and it dropped my bp, it is an anticonvulsant used for migraines and pain, i stopped using it as i needed higher doses to help with night time leg pain that i got side effects from the drug and stopped but at the lower doses would probably work for hypertension.

7. little

little Member

hi kay, I don't take anything for my cholesterol. I lowered my cholesterol by changing my diet. I drink sugar free with nothing added crandberry-pomergranit juice, crandberry-blueberryjuice. Northland or oceanspray. I also eat dried crandberries and walnuts. I lowered my cholestesol from 298 to 206 in six months. I do take atenolol and water pill for my blood pressure. It went from 190/90 to 120/72. I also eat very little dairy, sweats. I try to eat veggies and fruits. I also take multi-vitamins, b-complex, 2000units omega 3..The doctor wanted me to take cholesterol drugs about five years ago.I wouldn't do it. I hate what meds do to us. I try to do what ever it takes not to take them. I have enough wrong I dont need anything else. I hope that this helps you. Have nice day. Little

8. Kay31

Kay31 Member

I knew my chol was high (300), but doctor said my good chol. was fine. I tried all the special diets, etc., but it came down to about 285. He said he would not give me meds if my carotid artery was not blocked. The test came back and there was moderate blockage....thus the Crestor....which proved to be a nightmare for me.

Then, suddenly, my b/p spiked and I had to take the meds (Benicar 40 mg.). My b/p dropped some, but not significantly. Actually, it always was up to almost 200 in the p.m. Then came the headaches, earaches, neck pain, dizziness, nasal congestion and (fatigue!). After a month or so of this, I made up my mind to stop it to see if these symptoms abated. It's been a few days, so I'll just have to wait and see. I'll visit my doctor next week.

I so appreciate all your helpful comments. I have started on the oatmeal with flaxseed and have eliminated almost anything with sodium.

So it goes....sorry to unload all of my symptoms on you.
  9. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Fish oil can help lower cholesterol, take about 4 grams a day. The oatmeal with flaxseed is good too. Cut out any empty carbs (white potatoes, white rice, white bread etc.)

Also, cut out all sugar as someone else suggested.

I don't know if you can exercise, I can't due to CFS. But it is supposed to help with high cholesterol (and everything else).

The non-flush niacin someone else suggested is also supposed to help.

Good luck!