Hi All- new here!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cbyars, Oct 20, 2008.

1. cbyars

cbyars New Member

I've posted on the RA board a couple of times, but this is the first time here. I'm new to all of this. I first started experiencing joint pain about 4 months, but once it came, it never left. I'm 24, generally healthy, with 2 small children (3 yrs and 6 months) and an elementary teacher. I've always been a very active person; I stay busy and like to stay productive. This has been an awful hit, as it directly affects who I am.
    I had my first rheumatologist appointment, and we're looking at 3 possibilites: RA, psoriatic arthritis, and fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia seems to be the most likely, as neither my bloodwork nor physical exam indicate that there is any inflammation. After reading the information that my rheumy gave me about FM, it sounds a lot like what I am experiencing. She is running one more blood test, and we are doing xrays. Our next step will be an MRI. She suggested a trial run of prednisone, with the thinking that if it helps, that indicates inflammation. However, I am exclusively breastfeeding, and cannot take steroids. Breastfeeding also eliminates any other pain management options, according to her.
    Anyone else have similar experience with diagnosis? What do I so while waiting-any suggestions for pain management without prescription drugs?
  2. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

Unfortunately, I don't thin I have any advice for you regarding meds and breast feeding. Maybe someone else will post shortly regarding that. I just wanted to welcome you to the board. I, too, work in the education field as a deaf ed. interpreter. I was around 33 when I started having the pain issues. I am now 44. I have done mostly without and major meds but am currently trying Lyrica, am on an anti-depressant, and the rhuematologist gave me a script for Lodine which is an anti-inflammatory. I don't understand his thinking in that as I don't seem to have arthritis so most anti-inflammatories do nothing for me. I tried Celebrex and it didn't help at all. The generic Lodine is way cheaper than Celebrex but I told him it didn't help at all. He still gave me the rx for generic Lodine which I filled and am taking but I still feel it's not helping with anything. I am still undecided with the Lyrica. It will be expensive as there's no generic. It's not helping as much as I thought it would and I don't know what dosage to take as he gave me samples. He just wanted me to take 1 50mg. tablet once a day but that didn't help at all. I have now upped it myself and am taking it 3 times a day but I still don't think it's enough.
    Things I do for pain without medication is rest as much as possible, take hot baths, using heating pads. I tried the glucosamine stuff and it didn't help. I use braces on my feet for feet pain and braces on my hands for hand/wrist pain.
    Sorry I can't help you more.
  3. brwnidgrl74

brwnidgrl74 New Member

Hi I am new to the sight too and kinda new to fibromyalgia I have been takeing Lyrica for a couple of months. It has helped me so so sooo much. I was in so much pain. There was days I would have to make myself do anything! I still have days like that but it is alot better. I breastfead all of my children and I know you have to be very carefull with what you put into your body. I did just learn that diet can help with pain or so I'v read. I have yet to try this but that might be something you can try while breastfeeding. This may be something you already know I just know that when you learn that you have something like this everyone just expect you to know all the little things. hope that you find the thing that helps you!