Hi all, new to the boards!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by macki, Oct 23, 2002.

1. macki

macki New Member

Hi all,

What a great site!I have visited your site a few times in this week and decided I needed to sign on. I feel like I have been fighting an invisible demon and think I need your support, help, and information.

I am a single mom with a 16 year old who has been ill for about 5 years and finally diagnosed with CFIDS. He has been able to attend school for about 1/2 the days this school year. Because our doctor wants him in school every day (with a rest in the nurses office if he needs it) the school is again talking about taking legal action against us. Anyone have any suggestions?

Macki

2. macki

macki New Member

Hi all,

What a great site!I have visited your site a few times in this week and decided I needed to sign on. I feel like I have been fighting an invisible demon and think I need your support, help, and information.

I am a single mom with a 16 year old who has been ill for about 5 years and finally diagnosed with CFIDS. He has been able to attend school for about 1/2 the days this school year. Because our doctor wants him in school every day (with a rest in the nurses office if he needs it) the school is again talking about taking legal action against us. Anyone have any suggestions?

Macki

3. TiredbutWired

TiredbutWired New Member

That is out of my area but wanted to say Hi and welcome.Someone will come along and help,if not make a post with a specific question so everyone sees it.tracey
  4. MsJoey

MsJoey New Member

won't the doctor give you a note for him to attend 1/2 days? That's kind of strange. Can you home school him or do you work? There has to be some kind of help out there for you. Maybe some of the others will have some ideas for you. Hope it all works out. I sure feel for both of you. I will be thinking about you. Jo
  5. Fibrobeachbum

Fibrobeachbum New Member

I can't help you but wanted to say hello and welcome.
    Ann
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't know if this would qualify for the Americans With Disabilities Act, but the school must provide for his needs if this qualifies him. Check it out.

Love, Mikie
  7. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I have four kids...and have homeschooled the three younger, that might be a possibility for you. Currently we only have two left at home, our 15 year old son, and 13 year old daughter. One can homeschool with fully accredited curriculm. We use A-Beka, based in Pensicola Fla.

You didn't say what type of legal action, the school was threatening. Perhaps, having your child apply for disability, as Mikie mentioned would be of help. I was a caregiver for a disabled child for years, who was main-streamed. The school MUST care for them in mandated ways.
    Karen
  8. macki

macki New Member

Thank you for the Hellos and suggestions.

Re: the doctor – I was told “Most of our school-age patients get to school everyday”. When questioned more, they (Doc & Assistant) responded “Well at least most of them get there at least half days”. I will contact them again to see if they will revise their recommendation since my son goes a day or two and then feels too bad to go for the next two days. And last year around this time, he didn’t get to school at all for months.

Re: the school (and probation officer) – I have a feeling they know very little about CFS and have dealt with too many students who just don’t want to go to school or are discipline problems, that they can’t comprehend what my son is dealing with. Through research, I have found that we can’t be too hard on them (and doctors) because they have been taught that students that don’t want to go to school are depressed, have a school phobia, or some other mental problem. We do have a conference scheduled in about two weeks to discuss the options for his education.

I’m hoping that someone else who had has had to deal with this same problem will have some ideas. So far I have found very little on the net about youth with CFS and school problems. As a matter of fact, I have found very little about teens with CFS. I have found reference to the fact that it is harder to diagnose young people and that the symptoms and the way they manifest are not quite the same as with adults. Locally there are no support groups and some in the medical community around here as still suffering from the delusion that CFS doesn’t even exist or that it is nothing more than depression.

Home schooling is an option, but it will be difficult since I work full time. I also have the info on education for those with disabilities and will see what come out of the school conference.

Again, thank you to all who posted a response and kudos to all of you who deal with CFS, FM, ME, etc. on a daily basis with such humor, love, and compassion for others.

Macki
  9. marinemom

marinemom New Member

First off, Welcome!

My bestest friend back home also had a teenager that was FINALLY DX'd with Fibro and CFS! She was able to go through the school and get tutors to come to the house when her daughter couldn't make it. They finally got her meds adjusted and this young lady not only graduated with her class, but she is now in college!

It might be something you can look into, maybe with a note from your doctor? I don't know. Just a suggestion.

((((((((((hugs))))))))))
    Kathy
    [This Message was Edited on 10/23/2002]