Hi all. Question regarding phenylalanine as a supplement

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mariac2000, Mar 7, 2003.

1. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

but not as a sweetener. I don't drink diet beverages, but I recently tried d,l phenylalanine which I found at Pro Health. I get a lot of supplements there, but something about the name bothered me. In any case, I tried it and felt it really helped my mood. Then I did some research and found out some scary stuff. Does anyone have info on where to find real facts about this stuff.
    please help!!

Maria

Sorry I have been away from the board again, but I had just had a terrible flair and then a death in th family, so it's been rough. Not to mention my computer was out of service for 3 weeks in there somewhere. You don't realize how much you rely on it till it's not there!!
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I could find no adverse info on this amino acid in searching a number of websites. In fact, it is essential to our health and wellbeing.

As with everything, it is possible to abuse this supplement which may result in headaches.

Love, Mikie
  3. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

But that is not what I read, and there have beeb discussions about it right here on this board. It is very dangerous, so people should be informed.
  4. GradgirlJen

GradgirlJen New Member

I take DLPA, DL-Phenylalanine, 500 mg per day. I decided on this supplement after doing some research.

Treatment of Multiple Sclerosis with Lofepramine, L-phenylalanine and vitamin B-12: mechanisms of action and clinical importance: Roles of the locus coeruleus and central noradrenergic systems.

Loder C, Allawi J, Horrobin DF.

This article was found at (Edited to remove URL)

After 2-4 weeks of treatment, there were improvements of all types of symptoms in alltypes of MS. "The combination was also effective in relieving symptoms in patients with chronic pain and chronic fatigue." The researchers hypothesize that the action of this therapy might correlate with activation of the "noradrenergic locus coeruleus/lateral tegmentum (LC/LT) system which has the potential to influence the functioning of large areas of the brain and spinal cord".

PMID: 12376086
    Med Hypothesis 2002 Nov;59(5):594-602

Additionally, another study used 1mg vitamin B-12 intramuscularly weekly and lofepramine 70 mg (a tricyclic antidepressant) and L-phenylalanine 500 mg twice daily. There was some statistical difference in MS patients.

Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2002 Sep;73(3):246-9
    Wade DT, Young CA, Chaudhuri KR, Davidson DL.
    PMID: 12185153 PubMed indexed for MedLine

I have not found any negative effects of using this supplement as recommended, and I think that using this supplement may be beneficial. Also, I would try, if you aren't already, EPA (Omega 3) the higher concentration found at www.sourcenaturals.com

Good Luck!
    Smiles,
    Jen

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I must have been off in Lala Land at the time because I have no memory of it; but then, I don't have any memory of lots of things. I do find it strange that I can find no articles regarding adverse side effects, though.

Love, Mikie
  6. sb439

sb439 New Member

I've been on 250mg daily (on empty stomach in morning) of L Phenylalanine for almost two years now, and I believe it does help my mood and mental clarity.
    I've read that if you take it for a long time, you are more prone to melanoma (skin cancer), and hence are meant to be more vigilant about moles, if on it. But I believe the research was about people (or mice?) that took rather a lot of the stuff. And in any case that seemed to be the *only* bad thing about it.
    Maria, do you think of aspartame or something which is 'a source of phenylalanine', as it says on packs of chewing gum, etc. perhaps?
    Tell us the bad things you've read about it.
    thanks.
    Susanne
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

One is that it can dramatically raise blood pressure, which may be good if you have NMH, but otherwise not, so monitor your BP frequently while on it. People who are very hyper usually do not do well on it. It is one of the reasons why people crave chocolate, as it improves mood, but also one of the reasons why chocolate can raise BP in sensitive people.
    Two is that taking individual aminos for long periods can result in deficiencies of the other aminos, so it is recommended that they be taken in a pulsed manner, usually 8 weeks on and then 8 weeks off, 3 times daily on an empty stomach. The effectiveness is usually maintained for the 8 week rest period, and sometimes even longer!
    I have seen d-l-phenylalanine work wonders with people who are severly depressed, literally changing their personality for the better.
    KLutzo
  8. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

but if my brain falls out my ears, you know where I'm comming LOL. Now all I need to do is find it.
  9. click75060

click75060 New Member

I saw the mention here of phenyalanine causing melanoma and thought that I would take this oppurtunity to spread the awareness of how serious this cancer is. This form of skin cancer is the fastest spreading cancer and kills one person every hour 24/7 365 days a year. Early detection is very important and everyone should at the very least check their skin regularly for changes in their skin.

I myself have been taking phenyalanine for a few weeks and just noticed last week a irregularity on the back of my leg. Today I had the skin/mole removed and sent for biopsy. I do am not going to give up my phenyalanine, yet. It has played a large role in helping me with my mental condition. I am just praying to God that this abnormality doesn't turn out to be malignant. I am already very thankful for the help that I am getting from phenyalanine and although it should be the least of my worries; it would be quite paradoxical to end up having to give it up for this reason.

I just thought I would spread the word about the seriousness of melanoma. It seems that awareness is one of the big problems surrounding melanoma. May is melanoma awareness month. However, why not spread the word whatever the month and help increase awareness. Everyone should take vigilance in promoting early detection.

Thanks, Ron
    [This Message was Edited on 05/19/2003]
  10. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I have been so "on the fence" about phenylalinine. I am going to try to stop it for awhile and see how it goes. I started taking so many supplements at once, I didn't know which were working and which were not. So I have been stopping each for awhile to see what happens. Pretty backwards, but that's just my way!