Hi! Another newbie!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by taikat1015, Nov 12, 2002.

1. taikat1015

taikat1015 New Member

Hi everyone! I'm new to this message board stuff, but after being so moved by all the messages of love and support given to Karen about her medical situation, I sent her a "prayers" message too. She responded with "Don't be lurking out there. Jump right in and reap the benefits of all the support and care from this great bunch of people. Hit that Post Message button, Girl!" So here I am, trying to figure out the basics of message boards.

My story: I was diagnosed with cervical disc degeneration (auto accident in '87) three years ago which then led to FMS/MPS/CFIDS. I found all your messages about the meds really helpful. And I thought I had a large medicine cabinet full of drugs, supplements and ointments! Now I feel "normal" after seeing all of yours. I haven't felt normal in a long time, even though the definition has changed now.
    What really impressed me was the sense of family in your "conversations" with each other. Ups and downs, we all have 'em, it's just nice to know I'm not alone and even better when others can validate and understand how this "invisible chronic illness" affects our everyday lives.
    I'd love to hear from others who also have cervical disc degeneration problems, as this seems to be creating the most pain for me right now.
    Also, is anyone on diclofenac sodium (aka Voltaren). My new rheumatologist put me on it 6 weeks ago and it's not working. Someone else recently suggested Methadone, but from what I've read, docs seem to be hesitant to RX because of addiction problems.

Anyway, it's nice to "meet" you all.

Heather
    =^..^=

P.S. And many thanks to Karen for taking the time to respond and making me feel right at home :)
  2. taikat1015

taikat1015 New Member

Hi everyone! I'm new to this message board stuff, but after being so moved by all the messages of love and support given to Karen about her medical situation, I sent her a "prayers" message too. She responded with "Don't be lurking out there. Jump right in and reap the benefits of all the support and care from this great bunch of people. Hit that Post Message button, Girl!" So here I am, trying to figure out the basics of message boards.

My story: I was diagnosed with cervical disc degeneration (auto accident in '87) three years ago which then led to FMS/MPS/CFIDS. I found all your messages about the meds really helpful. And I thought I had a large medicine cabinet full of drugs, supplements and ointments! Now I feel "normal" after seeing all of yours. I haven't felt normal in a long time, even though the definition has changed now.
    What really impressed me was the sense of family in your "conversations" with each other. Ups and downs, we all have 'em, it's just nice to know I'm not alone and even better when others can validate and understand how this "invisible chronic illness" affects our everyday lives.
    I'd love to hear from others who also have cervical disc degeneration problems, as this seems to be creating the most pain for me right now.
    Also, is anyone on diclofenac sodium (aka Voltaren). My new rheumatologist put me on it 6 weeks ago and it's not working. Someone else recently suggested Methadone, but from what I've read, docs seem to be hesitant to RX because of addiction problems.

Anyway, it's nice to "meet" you all.

Heather
    =^..^=

P.S. And many thanks to Karen for taking the time to respond and making me feel right at home :)
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I welcomed you on your original post, but will respond here too.

Can't help with your questions, I have Fibro only, which is more than enough for me!

Others will be along tomorrow to respond to some of your questions concerning your health issues.

Again, welcome to our world!

Shalom, Shirl
  4. lease79

lease79 New Member

Welcome to the site!
    Karen is right, there are some wonderfully supportive people here :)

Lease
  5. queenbee69

queenbee69 New Member

Hey Heather, welcome to the board. And to the extended family. I also was in a car accident, in 1974, which has left me with some back problems also. I won't get into it now, but you can read my post from a couple of days ago and get filled in. There are alot of people here that have back problems along with there other stuff. We all can sympathize with your pain, even those who dont have the back issues. Hopefully you'll find some peace coming here.....we're all here to help! Stop in any time, and again a big welcome......queenbee69
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Glad you are here! I, too, have cervical disc disease, in my 5-6 and 6-7 vertebrae. This summer, after increasing pain over the past few months, I decided to do the epidural injections--I had two, about 3 weeks apart. It did help my pain somewhat, but because the shots go thru layers of tissue, it seemed to traumatize my whole shoulders & upper back---the pain was awful for a few days after, each time, I took vicodin the first two days after. But in the bigger picture, I think it did help my neck--I had had pain radiating down one arm because of it, and I had been unable to extend my neck backwards (like, for example, at the hairdressers, I'd have to kneel on the chair & bend over forwards to get my hair washed)--I literally never looked up at the sky or stars! I still don't push it, but I can do those things now. I think my neck issues go back long before I had FMS, which for me has only been 3 1/2 years. I think I messed up my neck 20 years ago when I fell off a horse--I landed on my tailbone so hard I had a concussion (even tho I didn't hit my head, the blow reverberated up my spine). Don't know how this accident so long ago relates to my FM symptoms, if at all, since I did not get them for so many years later.

Anyway, it's good to have you here, this is a wonderful board! Hope to talk to you again here--

Hugs,
    Pam
  7. missboo

missboo New Member

but i didn't have good results with it.

btw, welcome!

missboo
  8. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

I also have disc degeration in neck and lower spine plus scololis which is quite severe. I tried voltaren years ago it didn"t work for me but I seem to have a very high tolerance to pain med(which I think is part of fms) I was dianosed 7 weeks ago by a rhmy after 35 years of torture> I was also was hurt in a car accident in 67 which caused phical problems and trumatic problems for i lost my 4 month daughter in it too.Afterward I never was in phical shape again and suffered greatly in my spine.I tried a shot in sciatic nerve (in my butt lol)talk about hurt!!never again and I got 1 day of relief for it.Right now im on 600mg 3xda of neurontin and ultracet 1or2 tab every 8 hours which have helped some.Hope you enjoy this board as much as i do some wonderful people here.By the way I have 6 cats.Welcome LInda
  9. taikat1015

taikat1015 New Member

HI Shirl!

Thanks for the welcome! I feel like I've found an encyclopedia of information on FMS on this message board, and people who understand what it's all about. Better than any support group!.

However, I am a little unsure if my responses are getting back to those who sent me messages. When I click on the "reply" icon to respond to the individuals who welcomed me, the words "Your Are Replying To" appear above MY original message and not the message from the other person. (I hope this makes sense.)This is really embarrasing because I've been using computers for 15 years. If you get this message, could you please just send a quick response so that I'll know if I'm doing this right? Can I blame it on "fibro-fog".....?

Thanks so much! :)

Heather
    =^..^=
  10. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi heather & welcome,
    I have fibro,cfs,ibs,asthma & various allergies.
    6years ago i was put on voltarol & dihydrecodeine plus amitriptyline,they made me so sick the side effects were a nightmare.
    Plus the pain,stiffness & chronic tiredness to cope with aswell its not easy.
    I havent worked for 5years now & i get scared because i shake a lot & get panic attacks sometimes which are scary,but i cope.
    When i go shopping which i love to do i get so sore |& tired i just want to sit & put my feet up when i get home.
    Somtimes its possible others it isnt,i just wait until my 8year old daughters in bed & chill out then when ive done all my jobs.
    I try to stay positive but when i get down i come online to my new fibro family,they keep me going & this is my special place.
    I look forward to getting to know you,take care & very gentle huggles.
    Snuggles02