Hi Callum

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Oct 1, 2008.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hey, Big Boy!

I was just thinking about you and some of the other guys who have disappeared over the years. Paul in Scotland and that painter in the Mid-west and...I forget.

Anyhoo, how about an extended run here instead of a cameo appearance every 6 months or so.

How about a report from the world of the Theatre? Your triumphs, your flops, your ups, your downs, the time you fell in the orchestra pit. The glamour, the tears, the next day on your dressing room they hang a star...

You ever read any plays by Albert Innaurato? I read some of his articles in Opera News. They were great. But I thought his plays were awful. The only title I can remember is The Transfiguration of Benno Blimpie.

How is the good Gary? Gordon is happy. One of his arboreal orchids has bloomed for the first time, and he still has a job. It's a bit precarious as he works in the mortgage industry.

Allen Greenspan and several experts said they didn't see the problem coming. Gordon and his coworkers have been talking about a big crash coming for the last three years!

So there's drama in real life and drama on stage. As one of my therapists pointed out, you want a calm, orderly life. Especially if you belong to ACOA. Drama belongs on stage.

2. Callum

Callum New Member

Hmmm... Albert Innaurato? I try to avoid bad plays, but I sometimes get trapped in them. I must say I haven't stumbled upon his work. Although Benno Blimpie sounds like a character I should play at some time.

I'm glad Gordon is doing well, especially with such difficult times with his industry. Gary is great, thanks. Working from home 75% of the time. We had a rough summer, what with me trapped in the flood plains of Iowa, but it's good to be home with him.

I was just thinking I don't have the patience for cactus, I couldn't imagine orchids!

How are things with you? Are you staying out of trouble?
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

That's a quote from Shakespeare. Which play? All of them.

I am just fine, thank you. In view of my age and disabilities, it would take some effort for me to get into trouble.

I tried a few weeks ago. I bought some traveler's checks and got out a suitcase. Was gonna run away from home. I am so sick of LA w/ all its noise, traffic, crime, crowds, litter, graffiti, and language problems, I decided to take a vacation for a week or two.

With my limited energy, however, it just wasn't practical. But sometime in the next month Gordon and I are visiting Tombstone, the town too tough to die.

You know all these characters from the Old West were still alive when my Dad was young: Frank James, Cole Younger, Bat Masterson, Wyatt Earp, Buffalo Bill Cody, Annie Oakley, Mark Twain and others I can't remember. Geronimo died the year he was born.

My grandfather was alive when Lincoln was President.

Have been looking up ghost towns on the net lately. One usually thinks of such as belonging to the West, but there are hundreds in Minnesota and Iowa. Some of them are completely gone. Some have nothing but left but a few tombstones and some foundation stones.

Some are in pretty good shape. See Forestville in MN. It's in a state park near my home town. Our family reunion is held there every summer.

Our high school class just had its 50th reunion. I did not go. Travel is now too unpleasant and expensive. I didn't care much for those people anyway. And vice versa of course.

Ha det bra

(Still waiting for a responsive answer re: what's up in the theatre? Any auditions coming up?)

4. Callum

Callum New Member

Oh, to run away...

I'm doing a show now, a new work about the artist Carravagio. Not much to say...

I guess I'm not saying much because a couple of us are putting the wheels in motion to start our own company. (In this economy - who said we were bright?) This is taking a lot of focus, energy, etc. - and so I just haven't felt like auditioning lately.

I've had a couple of terrible commercial auditions lately. Some people are just too big for the small screen. And I'm not speaking of talent...

Gary and I went to Tombstone last year when we were out visiting my mother. I think it would be cooler if it were still a ghost town and not a tourist trap...