Hi, Clementyne (Shots for knees)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nikki, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Nikki

Nikki Member

I just had shots (Orthovisc) in my knees today. I used to get the Synvisc (with the ground up rooster cones), but after about 4 times I developed an allergic reaction (knees swelled up really big and hurt like heck). The Orthovisc does not contain anything that can cause an allergic reaction.

These shots have really helped as they fill in where the cartilage is missing. It's a gell like fluid. I had both knees done. They advise you to stay off your feet as much as possible for the 1st 48 hrs. . . . but, you don't have to stay completely off your feet.

I take the two shots (one in ea. knee) every week for three weeks. My dr. says it's less painful. Some ppl choose to take the one big shot instead. It lasts about 6 mos., then you can have it done again.

Hopefully someon else who's had the shots can give you information on how they might have done.

Hugs,
    Sharon

PS I posted on your Savella Update, but since this is not related to Savella, thought I would post under New Topics . . . maybe, you'll get more responses.
  2. Nikki

Nikki Member

I have bone on bone in both knees, and I'm just trying to put off knee replacement.

But, I know the injections are expensive. I am starting over on insurance, and do have medicare (but only on hospitalization).

My hips have been hurting like crazy, and I hope better knees will take some of the pressure off the hips. I have osteoarthritis in shldrs., hips, knees, wrists and hands . . . and FMS, CFS, MPS, chronic bursitis and chronic tendonitis . . . but, it could be worse.

I have found my symptoms get worse as I age (I'm 66 now). But, I guess getting older, I'm just naturally gonna have more aches and pains. I can really have a pity party when I see 70 and 80 yr olds doing so much better than I am. But, hooray for them . . . don't wish any of this on anyone else.

Hugs,
    Sharon

3. Nikki

Nikki Member

Yes, sugars are killers, and my sweet (no pun intended) husband brought home a lemon pie yesterday (that's what happens when I can't go grocery shopping and he does shopping for me). He doesn't need to eat it and neither do I.

Obviously, I don't have much will power . . . I had a pc last night. I told him to take it to his office today, but I see it's still in the fridge. He also brought home some biscotti thinkin' it was brownies . . . he forgot we both hate it.

I'll pay for the pie; but, it surely tasted good:). :( .

Sharon

4. Nikki

Nikki Member

don't know what happened to my manners . . . Wow, I'm so sorry about your hip replacement not working out. Can anything else be done? Back pain is the pits.

I have a cousin who had hip replacement in her early 70s or late 60s, and she's done quite well.

Think i'm postponing any surgery I can. I had emergency aortic-mesenteric artery by-pass surgery a little over 4 yrs ago . . . but student anetheseologist (sp?)who was watching me in recovery, let my potassium bag almost completely empty out before he noticed it, my potassium blood levels went dangerously low, so he decided to inject potassium directly into my vein (he was suposed to use a pump), then my potassium went sky high, way too fast, and I went into cardiac arrest. My surgeon happened to check up on me in recovery and ended up saving my life.

Getting old is not for sissies . . . like someone told me, sissies don't get old.

Hugs,
    Sharon

5. Nikki

Nikki Member

be optimistic . . . sometimes it's also difficult.

Wishing you better health.