Hi Debra49659

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Rafiki, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I'm sorry I have not yet made it back here. I had to take a small break which is not quite over, I'm afraid.

I am hoping that Springwater might share more with us as she has been taught meditation by the very best.

Fingers crossed!
    Rafiki
  2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Not a problem...trust me I totally understand:) Take care of yourself, I'll watch for your posts when you feel better!!

Deb
  3. springwater

springwater Active Member

You overestimate my knowledge.

Like i have stated in another thread i am in no way an accomplished practitioner.

My first efforts at meditation were learnt painstakingly from a little book! But, how complicated does anything have to be? I gained a lot just from sitting quietly, watching my breath and after some time of practising, (weeks?) discovered that one suddenly finds oneself in an incredibly quiet peaceful place, disassociated from everything around you...a very light feeling, and this feeling of peace and quiet energy stays with you for some part of the day even after you have come out of your meditation.

The meditation which Dzongsar Khyentse taught me is a basic one, I think meant to help me alleviate my chronic depression, tho he did not say so.

He said to concentrate on the in breath and out breath

Then to concentrate on the mind..what i was thinking of, or not thinking of..all the thoughts that wnt thru my mind, observe them,

then to concentrate on the body and feelings, how the clothes felt touching the skin, was there a wind blowing and one could feel it? anything sensory to feel it...was it cold, hot? humid? observe....

he said to do this for five mins every day..not more than that..but to be regular...

of course i slip up sometimes ......but i find it helps in upping my alertness levels and energy levels....which of course takes a nosedive when in a depressive episode.

I couldnt function without my meditation and breathing exercises. I attribute it to why i am still carrying on without meds....for my depression.

God Bless
  4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I do not overestimate you in any way at all, clearly. But, if I am embarrassing you I will stop so long as you do not :eek:)

Thank you for sharing this with us!

I think people look for complexity, especially we in the West. We think everything has to be complicated nearly beyond our comprehension in order to be worthwhile. Of course, Eastern thought is not free of unnecessary complication, either. Must be a human rather than a cultural thing. We don't value anything we can grasp. I think we have a tendency to assume: If I can understand it, it can't be very important.

And, of course, if we value what we grasp we must accept that the answer we seek is right here in our very own heart and we really must stop running and just sit with it. That's hard to do - sit with whatever the pain is. But, of course, the way out is through.

So, 5 minutes and no more! That's so wise! I really think many people don't meditate at all because they are instructed to meditate for too long. Twenty minutes, often, to begin!!! Twenty minutes?! I would never have meditated at all if I felt I had to do it for twenty minutes. I can meditate for a couple of hours now but I know I would not be doing it at all if not for starting with about 5 minutes... and no more!

5 minutes a day can change a brain, a mind and a life.

Namaste,
    rafiki

ETA while I can meditate for a couple of hours I rarely do. My longest daily meditation is about 20 minutes but I meditate many more times during the day for just a few minutes, or even a minute, at a time. Once you install the system and do regular maintenance you can turn it on very easily. Forgive the cheesy metaphor - I'm still struggling to thinik.

EagainTA: thinik? think! LOL

[This Message was Edited on 01/25/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/25/2009]
  5. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I thank you for you kindness. While new to meditation and mindfulness, I am very motivated to learn:) So 5 minutes at a time I will practice. FM affects all areas of my life and I am willing to try anything to gain even just a few minutes of peace.

Thanks again both of you:)
    Deb