HI,does anyone have problems falling because of your legs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tobyj, Aug 7, 2003.

1. tobyj

tobyj New Member

This is very typical for me early in the day, particularly just after I get up. to feed the cat is like a big ordeal and half the time i fall.my legs just give out on me.along with the pain in the lower back,i know immediatellly what kind of day it will be.My legs shake in general, and i have very strong legs due to years of ballet. any suggestions. this falling thing is getting out of control. also what does anyone do for constant neck pain??????//
    PLEASE HELP i CAN'T STAND THE PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

I used to fall now and then due to weakness in my legs, especially if I walk a long distance. What has helped me a lot is to use a pair of forearm crutches when I have to walk a long ways. They're easy on the arms and give great support. I haven't fallen once when using them. Plus you get doors opened for you. It was a bit hard to start using them since I'm only 29 and used to be athletic, but it's made a huge difference in my mobility and I feel better for being able to get the exercise from walking, rather than from just sitting at home.

hugs

jackie
  3. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Last year I fell 3 times at home, haven't fallen since. I started getting up extra slow to be sure I have my balance but I'm not real sure what changed.

As far as the neck pain a chiropractor helped alleviate that.

Take care
  4. Momskelleygirl

Momskelleygirl New Member

I have had my legs give out and have fallen a few times because of this. Usually when this happens, I am near a cahir or sofa, ofr my step dad or son is near me so I either can make it to sit down before i take the fall, or someone grabs me and gets me to a chair (thank God).
    A lot od the times I can tell before hand that this is going to happen, ( iget a strange feeling in my legs, so I try to avoind getting up until the feeling passes,).
    I hope you talk to your Dr. about thios although I think it all part of this DD.

Hope things get better for you.
    Keley
  5. Momskelleygirl

I have had my legs give out and have fallen a few times because of this. Usually when this happens, I am near a cahir or sofa, ofr my step dad or son is near me so I either can make it to sit down before i take the fall, or someone grabs me and gets me to a chair (thank God).
    A lot od the times I can tell before hand that this is going to happen, ( iget a strange feeling in my legs, so I try to avoind getting up until the feeling passes,).
    I hope you talk to your Dr. about thios although I think it all part of this DD.

Keley
  6. Momskelleygirl

Keley
  7. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

It is worse in the middle of the night or in the early morning when I first get up. I have fallen tons in the middle of the night getting up quickly without thinking to go to the bathroom. A leg just gives, and I am on the floor. Sometimes, I have gone through periods where they are weak for several days and I have to have someone with me for safety reasons going up and down stairs or inclines/declines.

The constant neck pain is so typical of FMS. I am not sure what to tell you. Light massage, TENS unit on low, ice, heat, physical therapy, trigger point injections, etc. It just depends on your body. I hope you find a doc that specifically works with you on this. I would imagine this keeps you awake which makes it worse and it would give me headaches making things worse.

My best guess is that only someone who evaluates your neck pain and can work with you one on one can help you. This should, of course, be someone you like and have faith in.

Lynda B.
  8. kimkane

kimkane New Member

hi tobyj, yes i fall alot, just 2 weeks ago i fell in the tub and landed on my tail bone. it still is very painful.
    i am soon to be 46 young woman. i look back on my child hood and it was very abusive in many ways, i suffered from depression parents split up, my mother was mentally ill.
    when i was 12 i couldn't walk, it felt like my leg muscles were very tiny. my brother came home on leave because it was x'mas. he took one look at me and took me to the er. they said i had blood clots behind my knees, i almost died.
    my dad raised me after that. got into an abusive marriage, had 2 sons. 4 yrs ago i lost my 1st born, he was 19, he hit black ice and hit a tree, killed instantly. i lived 2oo miles away at the time. so i sold everything i had and moved closer to my younger son. lived with friends she is an alcoholic and he had parkinson's. i have also lost my mother. i got fibro after female surgery that is when it really kicked in. when i get up my legs want to give out.
    i use a shower chair because my legs and arms shake all the time, it drives me nuts. i can hardly put on make-up, let alone cut my nose hair, lol i have started taking japanise coral calcium, it is helping. take care and good luck kim
  9. tobyj

tobyj New Member

THANK YOU FOR WRITING. AT LEAST I KNOW I AM NOT ALONE HERE. YES, I HAVE HAD MAJOR PROBLEMS.BUT I "TRY" TO GO WITH THEFLOW.I TAKE CARE OF MY MOM EVERY OTHER WEEKEND. SHE IS 90 AND SHE HAS 2 FLIGHT OF STAIRS IN HER HOUSE. BY MONDAY I AM LUCKY THAT I CAN STILL WALK A FLIGHT OF STAIRS. THE LEG THING REALLY BOTHERS ME AND THE NECK PROBLEM IS CONSTANT. I ALWAYS HAVE TO SIT SLIGHTLY FORWARD WHEN I SIT DOWN.MY NECK I WAS TOLD HAS NO HOPE OF EVER LOSING THE PAIN.ONE OF THE VERTEBRAE IS SITTING ON TOP OF ANOTHER ONE AND PUSHING ON THE SPINAL CORD.I HAVE A RIGHT HEAD TILT THAT IS NOTICEABLE TO SOME BUT NOT TO OTHERS. THEY TRIED EVERYTHING AND NO ONE WILL OPERATE,(NOT THAT i WOULD LET THEM AT THIS POINT)BECAUSE I COULD END UP PARALYZED.i DON'TNEED THAT TOO, FEEL SORT OF PARALYZED ANY WAY WITH WHAT I CAN AND CAN'T DO. SORRY I AM RAMBLLING.THE MORNING AND NIGHTS ARE THE WORST AND I JUST WOKE UP.THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS.
    HUGS,
    GERRY
  10. tobyj

tobyj New Member

PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME ABOUT THE SHRUG YOUR SHOULDERS THING SO I WILL TRY IT AGAIN.i HAD HORRIBLE PAIN THE FIRST TIME I TRIED IT BECAUSE OF THE NERVE DAMAGE, BUT I'LL GIVE IT ANOTHER GO. THANKS FOR WRITING.
    HUGS,
    GERRY
    [This Message was Edited on 08/08/2003]
  11. tobyj

tobyj New Member

MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU.I CANNOT EVEN IMAGINE WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN THROUGH WITH YOUR SON DYING AND EVERYTHING THAT HAS HAPPENED TO YOU.YOU ARE ONE TOUGH PERSON.AND THIS ON TOP OF ALL OF THAT? DO YOU EVER WONDER WHY ME? I HAVE A STRONG FAITH WHICH HAS GOTTEN ME THROUGH SO FAR.I MIGHT TRY THE CHAIR IN THE TUB. i HAVE A GREAT THING SOMEONE GAVE ME THAT IS A MAT THAT IS SORT OF LIKE A WHIRLPOOL.IT FEELS TERRIFIC WHEN I USE IT. MAKES THE PAIN SO MUCH LESS BUT DOES NOT LAST LONG. IT IS A VERY PLEASURABLE THING THOUGHSO IT IS WORTH IT.LUCKILY I HAVE A VERY LARGE GOLDEN RETRIEVER AND SHE HAS HELPED ME UP A COUOPLE OF TIMES WHEN I HAVE BEEN ALONE. UNFORTUNATELY MY FAMILY DENIES THAT IHAVE ANY PROBLEMS. THEY DON'T KNOW HOW HARD IT IS JUST TO DRIVE SOMETIMES WHEN THE LEGS SAY NO AND I HAVE TO DO IT ANY WAY. TAKE CARE. WILL KEEP YOU IN MY THOUGHTS AS I DO EVERYONE HERE. A LOT OF US HAVE WALKED A VERY LONG ROAD.
    HUGS,
    GERRY