Hi everybody -- Beety's dental surgery UPDATE

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ConfusedInPA, Sep 9, 2014.

1. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

I've read what y'all posted, and I appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

Please keep us in mind today -- Beety's dental procedure starts in less than an hour.

She may have to stay in the vet's care until 8:00 or 9:00 p.m. tonight.

When we get the all-OK, post-anesthesia, Kevin will pick her up and bring her home! Yippee!

I'm still worried. I've never cared for a cat with NO teeth before. I've had other things hit us, medically, but not this.

Please keep your fingers crossed for us. I appreciate all the thoughts and prayers and well wishes on the Porch thread.

I can't keep up with the porch, to respond individually, since I've been so preoccupied. I hope to jump back into the Porch soon.

Thank you all for the prayers and well wishes. If you can and wish, please say a little prayer 1:00 p.m. eastern time, when Beety starts the surgery.

I'll keep you updated my friends. You all are the best!

Love and hugs,

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sending good wishes and positive vibes to Beety. And to you and Kevin too, Diane.
    Hope the surgery goes purrfectly with a speedy and uneventful recovery.

3. ConfusedInPA

Thank you both! We all are hoping for the best outcome.

Beety had to be taken off anesthesia last time for this procedure, because of bronchitis. But now, after more xrays, again read by a radiologist, Beety was given the all-clear for today's dental surgery.

Thank you both! We won't know for several hours how Beety is doing. It's a complicated procedure, plus the anesthesia. So Kevin and I are both on pins and needles.

Luv ya guys, and all on the Porch who sent good thoughts and prayers.

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's about 2:18 EDT and I'm sending up a prayer. I just got online and saw your post.

Love, Mikie
  5. bct

bct Active Member

Hey there Diane, thinking good thoughts for Beety --- and you, Kevin, and all the cats in the world!

Diane, I would like to take you up on our seafood/shellfish date! Do you like razor clams -- my fave clam. Also I would like sea-urchin (uni in Japanese) also, and for sure small Monterey Bay squid, stuffed with shrimp, grilled lightly, and served with a mustard caper sauce! I used to stuff squid myself (so easy) and everyone but the squeamish enjoyed them.

I've been out of it for a few days, unable to post much. I do enjoy reading most of the posts though. And I've been laughing out loud as I read the spammers posts before reporting them. They are really wacky and idiotic. Just have to be very careful not to go to the sites mentioned. :p

Big hugs to everyone else,
  6. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Good luck and prayers for Beety today. I know this will go fine and she will be fit as a fiddle as they say,. I know it is easier said than done about trying not to worry.. Let us know how she is when it is done and have her home.etc.

Hugs and prayers for all of you !

7. ConfusedInPA

Well, we heard from the vet, and all is OK. Beety is waking from the anesthesia.

She'll be on ABX and pain meds for one week. She has some stitches, but they will dissolve.

She had to have all her teeth removed. Oh goodness, a toothless Beety! The vet said that she will do just fine, on soft canned food. In time she may be able to eat kibble, just by swallowing a piece at a time.

Kevin will go and get her at about 6:30 p.m. I'm hoping that she'll act OK when she gets home.

Thank you all for your good wishes and prayers. I'll check in with y'all tomorrow.

Love and Hugs,

8. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I just found this. Poor little Beety. Hope it won't be a shock to the poor little kitty when she realized things are a bit different. You could also soak the dry food in a little chicken broth to soften it up. Hope all goes well when the other two meet up with her. And you two guys.......be calm and relaxed, it's all over now.
  9. ConfusedInPA

Thank you all! I really appreciate your good thoughts and prayers.

Beety came home last evening. The vet said that she may be groggy and disoriented, but she wasn't. She wanted out of the carrier, but we couldn't let her out until we picked up the kibble and water. Beety could only have a little bit of canned food, at 9:00 p.m., before her meds (pain med and ABX). Then we were to keep an eye on her to see how she behaved. She did eat, and take her meds, then Kevin put her in the office, where she decided to nap.

For about five minutes! Then came the cries: let me out, let me out, let me out. Kevin went into the office and sat at his computer. Beety was happy for the company, and wanted lots of belly rubs, etc. He let her out of the office around midnight -- she explored for a bit, then settled on the bed.

Rosie (the youngest) is handling this well. Faithy (about the same age as Beety) insists that we brought home an alien being -- with whom she has not interacted previously -- so Beety must be HISSED at! It's like a three-ring circus around here at times. LOL

Faithy needs to get her morning treats (lysine) for her pinkeye. But she's refusing to come out of her hiding spot. Beety went to sleep under our couch. Rosie is napping on a dining room chair, just chilling out.

Seems like Beety will be ok. She ate a full breakfast of canned food this morning (even though she's probably stiff and sore from her surgery). So that's great. I've never dealt with a no-tooth cat before, and I'm a little scared.

Sun, we may try the kibble and broth later -- after her mouth and stitches have healed. Kevin doesn't want her to try kibble (dry or "wet") right now.

I'm tired, my friends. We're still catching Faithy twice a day for her pinkeye meds. And wow can she run!

Now Beety is back on meds (twice daily). But Beety has stopped "running away" for the most part. Usually, it's: 3 tries and we got her!

That's my update. Kevin worked from home yesterday. Today he's back at his office. I expect all will be well this afternoon.

Hey Barry -- I'm not sure if I ever ate the razor clams! I'm gonna have to look them up. I did eat fried calamari at an upscale restaurant in D.C. Didn't like 'em too much. And -- well, I have to look up uni, too. I've eaten in Japanese restaurants, mostly Hibachi style, and really enjoyed the food, and the show, with the chefs and the knives! Getting hungry for shellfish again -- might have to have some mussels scampi. :)

Y'all take care. All your posts mean so much to me. I'll try to keep y'all updated, probably on the porch. So far, so good, fingers crossed!

Love and hugs,

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Diane, thank for the updates. I had my shot this morning so didn't check in early. This is great news. Beety certainly had a lot of people pulling, and praying, for her and you and Kevin.

Barry, hope you are doing better. How nice that you pray for all cats. Tweety, Sylvester and I thank you.

Love, Mikie
  11. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

So glad Beety is doing well after her surgery and seems to be eating well so far. Sounds like she will do great in the long run. Sounds like everyone is adjusting except Faithy who I am sure will change in time. Glad she is not running from you as much for her eye meds :)!!

TTYL Diane and thanks for the update.