Hi everyone.Question for you

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tamara!, Nov 17, 2002.

1. tamara!

tamara! New Member

For those of you who feel you had this at a young age (teenager or younger)inspite of the pains did you seem to have an extra amount of strength?
    When I was a kid I was always very strong I could get things open when my parents couldn't stuff like that. I was always stronger than my friends and the boys, even older boys. I always seemed to weigh a lot but I was real skinny,it didn't make sense to me.
    I was just curious and wonder if that had anything to do with the fibro.I think in the past year I've lost most of my strengh, very quickly.Does anyone have any answers?
    THANX,
    TAMARA!
  2. tamara!

tamara! New Member

For those of you who feel you had this at a young age (teenager or younger)inspite of the pains did you seem to have an extra amount of strength?
    When I was a kid I was always very strong I could get things open when my parents couldn't stuff like that. I was always stronger than my friends and the boys, even older boys. I always seemed to weigh a lot but I was real skinny,it didn't make sense to me.
    I was just curious and wonder if that had anything to do with the fibro.I think in the past year I've lost most of my strengh, very quickly.Does anyone have any answers?
    THANX,
    TAMARA!
  3. joyof3

joyof3 New Member

i was always small, but stronger than most boys my age. in the last year and a half i have lost so much of my strength i have been getting scared. my hands are the worst. hope this helps.

stephanie
  4. queenbee69

queenbee69 New Member

I dont believe that I had this at a young age, but I can tell you that I am alot weaker then I used to be. I still try and work out everyday,and as far as weight lifting etc I am still quite strong. But as far as opening jars and stuff, I am so much weaker. My ability to grasp is very much hindered. Weakness in my hands has gotten woese in the past few months. Hope this helps........queenbee
  5. joyof3

joyof3 New Member

I was hoping that others would have replyed more. it was a very good question. my own weakness makes me think at times there is more wrong than my doctor will say. some input from others that have gotten weaker with this DD would be so appreciative.

thanks stephanie
  6. Lanie

Lanie New Member

I was always VERY strong, definitely moreso than I should have been & I weighed a lot for my actual build. I don't think I had this as a child, an accident 2 1/2 years ago triggered it. I now, am very weak. My hands and my grasp is seriously impaired. I have pain very quickly from doing stupid things like peeling potatoes or feeding the baby.

Horrible how life has changed for us...just heartbreaking.
    Best wishes,
    Lanie
  7. tamara!

tamara! New Member

Thank you for your replies.I'm hoping that maybe some of the pros that are researching our dd will apply the info. to thier research. I think that part of fibro. is a genetic predisposition to it. I think there are lots of things in my past that were precursors,also, in my family history.
    My grandmom had an autoimmune disease (diabetes) my father had tpye 1 diabetes he also had vitilago which is an autoimmume disease and it showed up in me at 11yrs of age(vitilago is when your pigments are being depleted,I have white patches all over).
    I think there is a lot they can learn from our childhood and our parents.I hope that someone in the medical feild will respond and possibly shed some light on this.
    Thanks
    TAMARA!
  8. kadywill

kadywill New Member

very active, hard worker. I was never sick until I got pregnant at age 17. Then EVERYTHING started going haywire. I had seizures, I broke out in hives, I itched ALL the time and scratched till I was infected, I was fatigued, I caught EVERYTHING going around, I was anxious, I was depressed, I worried about the ants in China!!!!
    Who knows what was wrong~~the docs at Duke said it was a connective tissue, collagen vascular, auto-immune disease of an unknown etiology..............what a hoot.....
    Love,
    kady
  9. nogilroy

nogilroy New Member

hi i had to work on a farm when i was a child so may be i was strong at one time getting up earley putting down bales of hay picking stones getting cattle in the barn when the yard was a mud hole and whering rubber boots that where a large mens size when they should have been kids size and hearing your musles pop in your legs but told not to wine just try harder i guess i was stonger at one time but my sister had to work hard also and she is okay sorry to ramble like this ps also can rember crying in bed that i was so sore
  10. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I was very strong as a child, helped on a dairy farm, then used to lift weights, chin bars, box with my brother (would win too). Always a Tomboy, beat the heck out of all the boys in the neighborhood. And strangly, I was small and thin. Could open jams, and stuck doors and windows that men couldn't deal with. Plus I never had the typical childhood diseases, no measles, mumps, etc. Not even a cold. I had no idea what 'sick' was.

I stayed like this even after the Fibro, but now I can feel my strength diminishing, but I am still strong, but if I do lift something heavy, I am in the bed for days now. I carried 50lb bags of dog food up till about three years ago. I can still do it, but I will surely pay for it in a few hours.

Everything I did was at top speed, thats what makes it so hard to try and work at a slow speed now. I am still quick, but I burn out easy if I don't pace myself.

Shalom, Shirl