Hi Everyone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FriendonthePath, May 30, 2006.

1. FriendonthePath

FriendonthePath New Member

It's been two years since my FMS diagnosis and about two years since I posted here. I thought I'd drop in and post an update, just to let people who are new to FMS know that there is hope!

I'm happy to report that I now have many more good days than bad. Although I have the occasional flare, some days I am relatively pain free. Overall I have less fibro "fog".

Here is a list of things that have been helping me feel better--and I know this because if I stop doing these things insomnia, fog and pain seem to return:

1. Trazodone for sleep. I currently take 50 mg. a day.

2. Exercise. After my original diagnosis I did warm-water physical therapy for six months. This permitted me to get strong enough to use the treadmill and do gentle weight lifting at the gym.

I have to do some kind of gentle exercise every day. I spend an hour on my recumbant bicycle in front of the TV every day. I also try to get to the gym when I have child care. I walk to the park with my daughter. If I skip exercise for more than two days, I get depressed, foggy and achy.

3. Diet. I have discovered that Aspartame is bad and MSG is a nono. I can't overdo wheat either. I get headaches if I consume any of these things. I have read that there is a glutamate-FMS connection and I believe it. I generally eat wheat-free unless I'm at a birthday party and indulge in some cake.

I cannot do alcohol at all. It triggers depression which triggers the rest.

4. Supplements. I take a prenatal vitamin and mercury-free fish oil supplements. If I am feeling other symptoms such as restless leg syndrome or painful, numb-feeling skin, I add 1 TBS. of Natural Calm magnesium per day.

5. Chiropractor for pain. My upper back, neck and shoulders are painful. During a flare I go to the chiropractor twice a week. For maintenance I go once or twice a month. Thanks to my chiropractor I do not take pain meds.

6. Asking the Universe for help. I "lost my religion" years ago--but I have found that asking for help, for hope, for energy, and patience, does help.

I fell recently and sprained my ankle. The fall triggered a flare. This made me realize that I had been off the pain meds for almost 6 months. What a great run I've had!

Chin up! If I can do it, anybody can!
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Congrats to you and thank you for sharing. We need to hear these hopeful things!
    Thanks!!!
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

IT is nice to hear of some good news and hear of someone that is better. I go to the chiropractor when I hurt too. He helps me with my pain a lot. You would not think with all of that jerking and crackling that it would help, but it does me too. Thank you for posting.

Kriket