Hi frends.. Iam starting a SOMERSIZING support post :)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by doxygirl, Apr 10, 2008.

1. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

I have had such great results with losing weight from taking green tea capsules and now SOMERSIZING....most of you already probably know SOMERSIZING is Suzanne Somers eating plan that you can lose weight on.....

I posted it on the "main" board and got such a great response that I thought I would share my journey with everyone and ask those of you who are interested to please join me:)

There are SOOOOOOOOOO many members here that have voiced how they have put on weight because of this dd and medications they are taking......and would really like to lose weight ..this is a great way to do just that:)

Suzanne's eating plan "SOMERSIZING" is so healthy and you can eat so many good things and the best part is that IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!

So......by having this post we can encourage, support, ask and answer each others questions etc.....

PLEASE join me if you would like to......

The best way to really get started is to get one of her books....and I think I have seen them fairly reasonable on amazon.:)

The newest one she has out ( correct me if Iam wrong ) is "slim and sexy forever" it is great and especially touches in depth on menopause hormone and weight issues!

Let me know what you think........:)

Love and hugs
    XO
    Doxy

[This Message was Edited on 04/11/2008]
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi Doxy -
    I don't have much time right now - but I'm bumping this up. I will be on here tomorrow.
    I will start Somersizing tomorrow morning!
    Anyone else that wants to join - please do! Very easy to do!

Janalynn
  3. Springfling

Springfling New Member

I have to get the book yet, but so glad you started this. I think it's so much better & easier to do with others. I have tried everything over the last few years, so might as well try another. I'm really excited about this one! Sounds like you have had good results so far.

Which book would you recommend I get since I'm just starting out? Would appreciate any input or advice you have to help me get going. Thanks for starting this!!
    Hugs
    Margie
  4. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I lost alot of weight in 2002 Somersizing--about 30 lbs. For the first week or two nothing really happened, and then the weight literally flew off--started in February and lost all of it by the end of April--I remember because I was really thin for my daughter's first holy communion.

Eventually, I gained some of the weight back, and I tried Somersizing again last year, and it didn't work at all. I wasn't on any medication, and I have a really clear idea on how to Somersize, so I don't know why it didn't work the second time. My friend who's a nurse, had the same thing happen to her the second time. I plan on trying it one more time again soon though; I'll let you know when I start.

Laura

[This Message was Edited on 04/11/2008]
  5. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

with you guys. I'm waiting for Suzanne's books to arrive in the mail any day.

This is exciting!

Hugs. doloresf1
  6. Toga

Toga Member

What is the main principle of Sommersizing? Do you eat different foods at different times of the day?

I read one of her books many, many years ago and it seems to me that's what it was.

I would love to lose some weight, (some, heck, I need to lose a lot.) I've been intending to join Weight Watchers for six weeks and don't seem to make it to that first meeting.

I'm going to do some digging and see if I still have that book. I don't even remember if I owed it, borrowed it, or checked it out from the library. It must be 30 years ago. She was young and really sexy then.

I was young.

Toga
  7. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

Iam so happy that you are going to SOMERSIZE with me "YAY"!

I have to run a few errands and when I get back I will try to post some general info..for now what I would like to know if what info do you all need...

some of you have Suzanne's book correct?

I would be happy to post each day the complete list of say fruits ....then veggeis...etc that we can eat from....and then the general program itself......

My son and I just got done going to google and finding a lot of SOMERSIZE recipes.....we made a list of meals we want to eat and are going to buy the things we need to make them right now :)

This week we are having....asian lettuce wraps....quiche lorraine.......fettucine alfredo......chili....and broccoli cheese soup....for dessert we found a recipe for vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce....and also chocolate mousse and chocolate brownies...

If you want to you can also google for these recipes by just putting "somersize recipes" many good recipe site pop up to choose from....

Also just to let you all know if you go to Suzanne Somers dot com you can purchase things like ketchup, bbq sauce, meat rubs, vegetable chips, fruit chips, cake mixes, pasta and so much more...it is pricey IMO but Iam so excited to start cooking these delicious meals and desserts....

One thing I think we all can agree on is that is it so fun to eat :) LOL and on this eating plan WE CAN EAT that is for sure!

I'll be back in a little while for those of you who go to bed earlier than I do check back tomorrow okie okie:)

Hugs
    Doxy
  8. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

For those of you who do not have the book yet I will put up some of the basic info.....just so you can start understanding it....
    ===========================================================

1.Eliminate funky foods ( list to follow )
    2.Eat fruits alone, on an empty stomach
    3.Eat proteins/fats/with veggies
    4.Eat carbos with veggies and no fat.
    5.Keep proteins/fats seperate from carbos
    6.Wait three hours between meals if switching from a protein/fats meal to a carbos meal or vice versa
    7.Do not skip meals. Eat three mealsa day and eat until you feel satisfied and comfortably full.

Eliminate the following "funky foods":

Beets
    Carrots
    Corn syrup
    Honey
    Maple syrup
    Molasses
    Sugar

Bananas
    Corn
    Pasta made from semolina or white flour
    Popcorn
    Potatoes
    Sweet potatoes
    White flour
    White rice
    Winter squashes ( acorn and butternut )

Avocados
    Buttermilk
    Coconuts
    Liver
    Low fat or whole milk
    Nuts
    OLives
    Tofu

Caffeine
    Alcoholic beverages
    Caffeinated coffees, teas, and sodas
    Cocoa including unsweetened cocoa

This may seem a but confusing at first, but....... really it is not, and it will be easy once you get it!:)

Everyday I will try my best to add another list of foods ( that we are able to eat ) trust me the list of foods that we can eat is uncomparably longggggggggggggggggggg, LOL.................

and if anyone wants to jump in and add ANYTHING PLEASE do!!!!!!!!!:)

Janalyn I know you have done this before so sweetie if you would like to help out that would be wonderful!:) and if you do not feel up to it,.... that is ok too!:)

Delores...Iam just thrilled that you are doing this with us.....:) I really think you will be happy with the results!:), and it will be so much more fun with you here!:) "YAY"!:)

"oh Delores, I told you last night I was going to give you the recipe for the frozen smoothies I drink every morning...sorry honey I forget,... Iam so sorry!:)

Ok so here is how I make it:

In a blender:

1/4 cup of frozen blueberries
    1/4 cup of frozen pitted cherries
    1/4 cup of frozen pineapple
    1/2 cup frozen strawberries

to that I add:
    2/3 cup Orange juice
    2/3 cup pineapple juice
    2/3 cup water
    Then I blend
    Sometimes I have to stop the blender and stir the frozen mixture a few times because it gets very cold it all of your ingredients are frozen and the juice is refrigerated.

You can also add a little more juice or water if you have to to make it blend better :)

Now those are the fruits I like....but if you like different fruits you can put whatever you like.

Just try not to use the juices that are made from concentrate because they have so much sugar in them and on this eating plan "SOMERSIZING" sugar is our enemy!LOL:)

Natural fruit juice is different because the juice is "natural" and does not have added sugars.....

I also like to put my green tea capsules in the blender when Iam blending and I really cannot taste them...I put two into one smoothie!

I even went to smart and final and got the nice clear plastic cups with the dome lids that have a circular hole in the top ( just like the ones starbucks has ) and I put my smoothie in those with a colorful straw and then I can take them with me if I feel good and can get out of the house:)

As far as where to get the fruits ....well I get mine from costco they have very large bags for a reasonable price, but do not have all the fruits I like,.....

so I also get some from smart and final...what I can't find either of these two places I get from Vons market or else I buy it fresh and freeze it myself :)

These smoothies taste like your are cheating so bad BUT you are not they are allowed!!!!!!!!!:)

Sorry sweetie this is so long.......I will let your poor eyes rest now ....but if you have any ?'s please let me know!

BTW.... everyone, my son has only been doing the green tea and somersizing for two weeks now,....

and he already needs to buy new pants his pants are falling off!!!!!!!!! THAT IS THE HONEST TRUTH!!!!!!of course he is a guy and he is stil very young ( 20 ) and guys seem to lose it much easier and quicker than us women ( MOST men maybe not all) ...:)

"ok I will be quiet now .......for now" LOL

Hugs
    Doxy

[This Message was Edited on 04/12/2008]
  9. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

Eat on an empty tummy

Eat alone and then wait twenty minutes and you may follow with a carbos meal( the 20 min lead time gets the digestion of the fruit going and eliminates problem combinations.

Eat fruit alone and wait one hour and you may follow up with a protein/fats meal.

If you want fruit for a snack or for dessert, you must wait two hours after your last meal to avoid any problems.

Any of the fruits in the fruit group can be eaten together.

==========================================================

I will now follow this with a list of the fruits in Suzanne's book that we can have!

But just a little tid bit...if you follow Suzanne's "rules" about combining foods, you will find it very rare that you are gassy!!!!!!!!!:)

"Oh and before I forget you should always drink 8 glasses of water but Suzanne says to drink it inbetween meals....reason being that your stomach produces acid when you eat or drink anything...

if we eat and let the tummy acids go to work it can do a much better job than if we dilute it down with a lot of water :)

Now on to the fruit list.....( tomorrow I will try to get the veggies list up for you.....but it is my husbands birthday so Iam cannot promise....but I will try:

Hugs
    Doxy

FRUITS we can have

Apples
    Apricots
    Asian pear
    berries:
    blackberry
    blueberry
    boysenberry
    cranberry
    currant
    olderberry
    gooseberry
    mullberry
    ollalaberry
    raspberry
    cherimoya
    cherry
    crabapple
    fig
    grapefruit
    grapes
    guave
    kiwi
    kumquat
    lemon
    loquat
    lychee
    mandarin orange
    mangoes
    melons:
    cantaloupe
    casaba
    crenshaw
    honeydew
    orange flesh
    sharlyn
    watermelon
    nectarine
    oranges
    papaya
    passion fruit
    peaches
    pears
    persimmon
    pineapple
    plum
    pomegranate
    prickly pear
    pommelo
    quince
    star fruit
    tamarind
    tangerine

10. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

regarding Suzanne's products. Her products are definitely high quality, but if you have any sensitivity to sugar substitutes, be careful. Don't stock up on anything until you've tried it first. I had gotten a box of her chocolate chocolate chip cookie mix and I got a really, really bad gassy, upset stomach from it. Tried one more prepared product containing her sugar substitute, also got a bad upset stomach from it. Splenda bothers me as well, and my rheumy has said sugar substitutes are a big no-no so just be careful with that.

If I can think of any other ideas that helped me when I did this diet, I will post. I am going to start reading her book again (I like her original book, blue cover, entitled 'Eat, Cheat and Melt the Fat Away') even during the diet I would occasionally have to go back to the book for clarification on certain foods--it can seem a little confusing at first. I actually read the book, and put it aside for a few weeks still continuing to eat the way I always did. With each meal I consumed, I began to realize what I was doing wrong, according to Suzanne. For me, in retrospect, it was better to do it this way because I had a much clearer idea of what I needed to do to follow her plan successfully.

One thing I do remember, it was better for me to stay as close as possible to Level One even after I lost the weight; as I edged toward Level Two, I became less careful and the weight started to slowly creep back.

Laura

11. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

You are so right! Many of those sugar substitutions bother me also...in fact I was a little bit surprised to see that some of Suzanne's products have "malitol" in them ....is that maybe what caused your gassey tummy?....if I eat anything with malitol in it I get the same way you do

So I thank you so much for bringing this up.....in fact I was going to order her hot fudge sauce until I saw it had malitol in it and since it bothers me too I decided not to get it!

Iam like you also with the program....I think that I will have to stay on level one forever....Iam lucky with my metablism that even level one is working:)

Iam so happy you are with us here and it will be much more fun doing this together sharing recipes and stories and questions :)

Iam so happy you are here!:)

Hugs
    Doxy
  12. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I am definitely with you...went pants and shorts shopping today, and believe me, I am not a happy camper tonight. Am going away for five days next week,so I am going to dig my book out tonight and be brave and try and start tomorrow or Monday.... imagine, dieting while on vacation!!! It can be done though.

Here are the tips that I can think of off the top of my head:

--if you can find it, Ezekiel bread is delicious. Trader Joe's sells it, along with Spelt, another bread Suzanne recommends;

--My most difficult foods to give up are bananas, avacados, and olives, certain cereal that have a small amount of sugar, like Kashi's GoLean and Smartwater;

--Last time I Somersized, I was using Splenda, and I don't want to resume that--I many use a little Stevia and see how that goes. My vegan daughters use it with no negative effects;

--a great lunch for me was a feta cheese omelet with sliced plum tomatoes on the side or lettuce, tomato, and a little red onion on Ezekiel bread with a dab of dijon--yum!!!

--Suzanne has a great recipe for Lemon Turkey burgers--my family loves them;

Dox--thanks so much for posting this. I have been disgusted with myself for weeks and needed a jumpstart to motivate me. I'm going to go look for my Suzanne book right now!!!!

Laura

13. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

I hear ya!!!!!!

Iam disgusted and not a happy camper either!

Iam losing and my clothes are fitting much looser BUT it is slow and it just seems to unfair that we have to work so hard to keep it off!:(

BUT if I have to do anything Iam happy that it can be SOMERSIZING...I have never in my life found an eating plan where you can eat so many good things!:)

I hope that you have a wonderful time on your trip..where are you going?

We are taking my autistic son to Las Vegas for his 21st birthday in about 6 weeks and I am determined to be 10 pounds lighter :) and I agree I think having others here to do it with is going to help make it more fun and helpful!

Have a great time and I will see you when you can!:)

Hugs
    Doxy

P.S. You are so right also about being on vac and SOMERSIZING it is very easy to do!:)

:)
  14. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

These are the veggies we can eat and you can have them with both carbos meals and protein/fats meals!!!!!!:)

Alfalfa sprouts
    Artichoke
    Arugula
    Asparagus
    Bamboo shoots
    Basil
    Bean sprouts
    Beet greens
    Bok choy
    Broccoli
    Brussel sprouts
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Chervil
    Chicory greens
    Chives
    Celantro
    Clover sprouts
    Collard greens
    Crookneck squash
    Cucumber
    Daikon
    Dandelion greens
    Dill weed
    Eggplant
    Endive
    Escarole
    Fennel
    Garlic
    Ginger
    Green beans
    Horseradish
    Jicama
    Kale
    Kohlrabi
    Leeks
    Lettuce:
    boston
    bibb
    frisee
    iceberg
    limestone
    red oak
    romaine
    Mushrooms
    Mustard greens
    Okra
    Onion
    Parsely
    Peppers:
    bell
    cherry
    chili
    Pepperoncini
    Piccalilli
    Pickles ( except sweet )
    Purslane
    Radicchio
    Radish
    Rhubarb
    Rosemary
    Sage
    Salsify
    Sauerkraut
    Scallions
    Shallots
    Snow peas
    Spinach
    Sugar snap peas
    Swiss chard
    Terragon
    Thyme
    Tomatillo
    Tomato
    Tomato ( green )
    Turnip
    Turnip greens
    Water chestnut
    Water cress
    Wax beans
    Yard long beans
    Yellow beans
    Zucchini

15. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

that we can choose from on SOMERSIZING :)

Remember you do not have to "weigh, count, or limit how much you have of these you have at your meal....you may eat veggies with anything on this list......

what you "CANNOT" do is eat any fruits, or carbos with these protein / fats...when you are on level ONE " the losing phase"

Of course when you have lost what you want to there is level 2 or maintenance,... but since we are all trying to lose for now I will only post the level ONE info...

otherwise it may get too confusing for those that do not have the book:)

So to help you to understand let's say you go to a restaurant and order a steak ..that would come from this protein/fats list ...

so instead of ordering a baked potato which is a "no no" on level one....you may want to order all vegggies...and a salad! I usualy order all veggies and aks for hot butter to drizzle over them...or sometimes I akd them to melt cheese over my veggeis "YUMMY"! and yes it is allowed!

Ok so her goes the list of proteins/fats:

CHEESES:
    ========
    American
    Asiago
    Babybel
    Bel paese
    Blue
    Bonbel
    Brie
    Buffalo mozzarella
    Camebert
    Cheddar
    Colby
    Cream cheese
    Farmer
    Feta
    Fontina
    Goat
    Gouda
    Gruyere
    Havarti
    Hoop
    Jarlsberg
    Limburger
    Mascarpone
    Monterey Jack
    Mozzarella
    Muenster
    Parmesan
    Pecorino
    Provolone
    Queso blanco
    Ricotta
    Romano
    Roquefort
    String
    Swiss
    ==============
    OTHER DAIRY PRODUCTS:
    =====================
    Butter
    Cream
    Eggs
    Margarine
    Mayonnaise
    Sour cream
    Whey protein
    ==============

FISH:
    ======
    Anchovy
    Bass
    Blue fish
    Bonito
    Burpot
    Carp
    Catfish
    cod
    Eel
    Flatfish
    Flounder
    Gefilte fish
    Grouper
    Haddock
    Halibut
    Herring
    Mackerel
    Mahi-mahhi
    Monkfish
    Ocean perch
    Orange roghy
    Pollack
    Pompano
    Red snapper
    Sablefish
    Salmon
    Sardine
    Sea bass
    Shark
    Smelt
    Snapper
    Sole
    turgeon
    Swprdfish
    Tripe
    Trout
    Tuna
    Turbot
    Whitefish
    Wofl fish
    Yellowtail

============
    MEAT:
    =========

Bacon
    Canadian bacon
    Beef
    Bologna
    Bratwurst
    Capocollo
    Cold cuts
    Frog's legs
    Ham
    Hot dogs
    Lamb
    Pastrami
    Pepperoni
    Pork
    Proscuitto
    Rabbit
    Salami
    Sausage
    Veal
    Venison

=========
    OILS:
    =======
    Canola oil
    Chili oil
    OLive oil
    Peanut oil
    Safflower oil
    Sesame oil
    Vegetable oil

==============
    POULTRY:
    =========

Capon
    Chicken
    Cornish game hen
    Duck
    Goose
    Guinea Hen
    Pheasant
    Quail
    Squab
    Turkey
    ============
    SEAFOOD:
    ==========

Abalone
    Caviar
    Clams
    Crab
    Crayfish
    Lobster
    Mussels
    Octopus
    Oysters
    Scallops
    Shrimp
    Squid
    ==============

any questions please just ask :) :) :)

Hugs and luck
    Doxy
  16. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

Remember when eating carbos do not mix with protein/fats or fruit! You MAY eat veggeis with carbos!

For those of you who do not have the book yet..this may seem a bit confusing so please ask....I want so badly to help you in any way I possibly can ......and it would make me feel so good to see you acheive your dream of losing weight...on this eating plan YOU WILL be able to lose....so if you get frustrated give a hollar....:)

CARBOS:
    ==========
    Beans:
    Adzuki beans
    Black beans
    Black-eyed beans
    Cannellini beans
    Fava beans
    Garbanzo beans
    Great northern beans
    Green peas
    Kidney beans
    Lentils
    Lima beans
    Mung beans
    Navy beans
    Pinto beans
    Red beans
    Split beans
    White beans
    ============

BREADS, BAGELS, CRACKERS
    HOT CEREALS, COLD CEREALS,
    OR PASTA MADE FROM WHOLE WHEAT GRAINS:
    ======================================

Amarnath
    Barley
    Bran
    Brown rice
    Buckwheat
    Kamut
    Millet
    Oat
    Pumpernickel
    Rye
    Spelt
    Wheat
    ============

NON FAT DAIRY PRODUCTS:
    =======================

Non fat cottage cheese
    Non fat milk
    Non fat rice milk
    Non fat ricotta cheese
    Non fat sour cream
    Non fat soy milk
    Nonfat yogurt
    ================

RICE:
    ========

Brown rice
    Brown rice cakes
    Wild rice
    =================

Just a reminder that you are seeing some "Nonfat" dairy products on this CARBOS list...these MAY be combined with "CARBOS" meals only!

DO NOT eat "NON fat dairy products" of any kind with a protein fats meal!

For example if you want a bowl of shredded wheat cereal for breakfast..you must use NON fat milk in your cereal because it is a CARBO meal and NO SUGAR( use splenda or somersweet or stevia);)

Hugs
    Doxy

Are you still with me? :)

Hugs
    Doxy

17. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I have decided to segue into Somersizing over the next day or two. By my best recollection, on the second day, late in the afternoon, I start to get a vicious headache and realized it's from caffeine withdrawal, so I just may have to cheat at that point and have a cup of caffeinated tea. I don't want to go into this full force today until I go to the store and pick up the few things thst I like to have in when I Somersize.

I am trying to figure out an adequate substitute for breadcrumbs. I have a fantastic chicken meatball recipe that would be full Level One if I can figure out a suitable substitute. They're fine on Level Two since the breadcrumbs are a slight imbalance. I made them for dinner last night and as we were eating, I couldn't help but think how perfect they would be for Somersizing. Any suggestions on the breadcrumbs? Let me know and I'll share the recipe with you.

I am going to Florida next week (Sannibel Island). I've never been there before and I am excited. I am a little down though--we're taking our youngest with us, but my twins are away at college. It's the first time we've ever gone away without them and I feel kind of bad about it....I asked them if they were okay about it, and they were like, "Are you crazy, Mom!! Just go and have a good time.." But that's the smother, no I mean mother in me!!

Anyway, all I want to do with this diet is look better in my clothes. At 5'10' I certainly do not aspire to be a size 6, but I want all rolls eliminated!! I want to wear a fitted sweater and see straight lines, no rolls and the ability to wear a shirt tucked in without looking like an idiot--that's all I'm asking for. If I lose too much, I see it in my neck and face and I don't like it. If I could figure out a gravity pump that would take all the fat from my mid-section and pump it up into my face that would be great!!! LOL!!!

Later--Laura
  18. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Mixing -
    To simplify:
    You don't mix protein and carbs.
    If you eat a breakfast of protein, you must wait 3 hrs (or is it 2 Doxy?) to eat carbs.
    You may mix veggies with protein, and veggies with carbs.

Example: get up, eat fruit - wait 30 minutes, eat breakfast
    eggs, bacon

snack - if it is a protein snack, you may eat anytime since you just ate protein for breakfast. But if you are having a snack of carbs you must wait.

Lunch - taco salad - no shell. I'd put all of the ingredients in a big bowl - never missed the shell!
    snack - 2 hours later - whole wheat pretzels (no sugar)

dinner - steak, green beans, salad with bleu cheese dressing - since you had a carb snack - you must wait to eat your protein dinner. If you have a carb dinner, you don't have to wait.
    Is that easy to understand?

If you wanted a carb dinner - you could have whole wheat pasta with spaghetti sauce - there is a brand that has no sugar or 1 gram of sugar - unfortunately I can't remember which one it is right now.
    When you shop you'll get used to looking at how many grams of sugar something has.

There were times that I followed it to a T. and times that I "cheated" a little. I didn't find a huge difference in how I did. By cheating I mean I used sugar free creamer in my coffee. I generally drank decaf - but sometimes I wanted a real cup of coffee, so I had it. Not encouraging anyone else to do that - but just being honest. =)

Finding good "legal" food was never a problem - there are plenty of options. The biggest challenge or thing to get used to is deciding what to eat for a snack - again not because there aren't good things to snack on. But if it is 4 pm and you're hungry and dinner is at 5:30 - know what kind of snack to have - protein or carb (it needs to be the same as what you're having for dinner since you're not waiting 2-3 hrs). The safest snack in that case if always a vegetable.
  19. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

So there are no serving sizes? Eat as much meat, or fruit, etc. as you want??

Also, does the green tea capsules have caffein in them?Hugs. dolores
  20. Springfling

Springfling New Member

Hi Doxy,

I want to try and lose, but having a difficult time understanding everything. I think it will be easier for me if I have the book. Could you tell me the name. (is there more than 1 out?) I thought maybe I could pick one up quick.

I am really excited about starting, but also worried like the previous poster. Every time in the past when I try to cut out my soda, I get terrible headaches. They are really bad. I've tried riding them out, but usually break down and have a soda. So, if anyone knows a substitute that might help me, please let me know. Thanks!