Hi Girls and Guys..update and depression questions..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimelia, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

It's been awhile since I've been to this message board. Sorry I disappeared for so long.. Some good things have happened but I'm not well.. I've changed my diet which has made some symptoms disappear which is wonderful. No more headaches, and my stomach problems are a lot easier to deal with. I've also started going to a chiropractor which has helped with pain and sleeping problems some.. I'm sure I'm leaving some possitive changes out.. My memory still sucks, lol.
    I have a question about anti-depressants.. I went off my anti-depressant probably about a year ago, and today I realized that it has really affected me. I heard it can take awhile before you notice changes from going off them. I just do not feel balanced lately. I have had a lot of stressful situations occur and I'm left feeling like I'm reeling.. I am not coping very well lately.. Does anyone else have problems with coping with stressful situations? I have had good reason to be upset about something as of late, but I really want to handle it better then I have.. And I'm very frustrated and so is a friend of mine. I have gone off on him several times. I hate being reliant on something but I am afraid I'm going to have to do something. I was reading about fish oils today and what some of you had to say.
    How do I know which a good one is? Does anyone know of a good brand and where I can get it. I know quality can make a big difference in products.. Is there any other advice anyone might have for me on this issue, maybe a different product?
    I hope someone has some answers... Thanks for taking time to read this..
    I hope everyone is doing well and finding answers...I've missed this board, and everyone..
  2. ugly_duckling

ugly_duckling New Member

i dont know about depression much except i feel that way all the time, but they do say codfish oil works the best if you're interested.
  3. catgal

catgal New Member

Hi Kimela~~And Welcome back to the Board! As you've been off the anti-depressant for a year now--did you do well without the anti-depressant prior to these stressful events? If you were doing well without the anti-depressant, then it is probably the stressors that are causing you to feel overwhelmed, out of balance, and reeling rather than the lack of the anti-depressant. However, extreme stress or long-term stress can trigger depression again especially if you are prone towards depression.

A definitive questions would be...If the stressors you are experiencing were resolved--would you still feel out of sync?

Although I am a therapist, I don't know anything about fish oil. I'm sure some more people will be along who are more knowledgeable in this area.

Hope you find a solution to your stressors and are feeling better soon. Best Wishes, Carol...
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Welcome to the board. Sorry, can't help Kimelia with your meds, don't take them.

I am sure others will be sharing their experience with you.

Glad to have both of you join us, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

When in pain, it is natural to have a short fuse, but nobody wants to be that way. I have fought with this problem also. Please go to the library and read Dr. Cheney's articles on the effects of antidepressants on our brains, and on Klonopin. Then you may want to consider a med that will even out the mood swings while helping heal any damage done by the antideps, such as Klonopin or Neurontin. I know I will never touch antideps again. Not only did they destroy my memory and make me into a fatty, but they didn't even help the depression.
    Klutzo
  6. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

I really appreciate your input. I will check out dr. cheneys articles. I actually tried to check into becoming his patient today but he isn't taking any.

You are right, the depression could be a temporary thing. I was hit with a lot of different things at one time. It was like just boom, over night I started doing poorly right after two days of non stop stress. Even the good effects of the chiropractor adjustments were affected. I had started feeling more energetic but since the sh*t hit the fan it's all gone downhill.

It just scares me because before I was put on the anti-depressant I was explosive with my husband.. My moods were so up and down.. At the time I didnt see it. I just hope that this is not something that I have to battle with forever.

Again, thanks for your expertise...