Hi guys-out on disability or WC, not sure-torn ligaments in knee

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by griswoldgirl, Sep 8, 2002.

1. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

No dancing for me for a while. LOL Have a torn ACL and meniscus in my knee-having surgery on September 20th. AGAIN-uggg! I have had a surgery a year now for 3 years and it is getting old. The good news is that I am out of my abusive job now. They are reviewing me for workman's comp because my doc and I both think it was from the tray falling on my leg in May-they seem to differ. They are supposed to let me know today or tommarrow-does not matter though because I am also covered by my STD and LTD through work-even though my boss told me I could not file a claim more than once a year-this was totally not true-I called the insurance company direct and found out it was just one more thing they lied/were ignorant about.

I have been out of work since last wednesday and I actually feel as if I can breathe! going there every day for about the last year since my back surgery has been a chore. Everyone is angry with me for being out again. The minute I came back two weeks ago and was put on light duty, the war began. Funny how people react-they were upset because "I could not pull my wieght" with portables etc. I guess they have a right to feel as they will. It is a shame though-thought some of these people were my friends-big joke! Not one I am sorry-just on my last day I was called from the school because my daughter had been assulted and I had to go and pick her up and take her to the doctor. some one punched her in her back and she could not move-when I informed my supervisor of this her only words to me was "thats it! that is an inncident!" like ha ha I got you now. You see according to their attendance policy I had one more incident left and then I was terminated. I tried to go out with dignity and had my doc give them their 24 hours notice(they reguire if you are going to be out ill that you call 24 hours in advance or it is an incident, three incidents in 3 months and you are put on warning-happens agian you get presented with final warning and last one your walking papers.)

Until I stepped back and looked without my nerves and fear in the way I did not realize just how disfuntional a place i worked at. They are horrible to their employees. i was in trouble with the knee, my back and my fibro-on top of that i was separated from my hubby and had a daughter whom has been ill all summer which has costed me the most of my incidents. After the fact I found out there was something called intermitent LOA which I could have applyed for because of mine and my daughters illnesses and all but one absence would have been excused out of the 6. They were mostly from when she tried to commit suicide and was hospitalized and from the most recent scare of lyme disease. the last one was my knee which happened on the job-when I got back from Orlando I could not walk on it and had to call off. My biggest mistake was not to stay out when I saw the report on my knee-if I had it would have been one long incident-no I have to be a respectable employee and get doctor to put me on light duty with a huge brace hurting like hell so i did not stick them without another tech. jerks! anyway now I am in touch with a labor law attorney because they have violated so many of my rights I don't know where to start over the last 3 years.

as far as the workman's comp-I am not going to fight that one I could wait a year without surgery with that fight and who would win-them even if I did win in the end-so when they say no my disability is already filled and all I have to do is forward a decline notice to them and bang-bata-bomb got std kicking in paying 66% of my salary.

I feel for my fellow coworkers-they are all miserable and see it for them selves lately and are getting jerked around by management and are angry, but still in denial. If I go forward with the labor attorney it is not for money it is for the changes that have to be made.

Their 24 hour rule causes nurses who care for premature infants to come in sick-I have seen way too many "unexplained viruses" get these children severly ill, some have even died. Everyone comes in with fevers, diarrhea etc etc inorder not to get an incident-then everyone else gets ill and does the same thing it is hard to stay well there. I am done-no more!

While out for my surgery I am studying for my boards, getting registered and working elsewhere. Not sure about the job in Georgia mountains-cute small town but not many doctors and my daughter goes to her therapist once a week and it took me so long to find the docs I have I am not sure I want to move right now. I have a support system and I need time to heal without stressing about another job-mind you my boss to be is great-knows about my condition and is willing to let me schedule my own hours with the ob doctors who need me and is flexible as long as I work 64 hours every two weeks-there is just no counclers there-all health care except a gp and gyn/ob are at least an hour out of town and that can become a real hardship. Just trying to think it all out before I jump!

anyway-sorry so long thought I would update those who were following yet another saga in the life of the Grizwalds! LOL

you all take care and I wish you a pain free and blessed day

cathy
  2. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

No dancing for me for a while. LOL Have a torn ACL and meniscus in my knee-having surgery on September 20th. AGAIN-uggg! I have had a surgery a year now for 3 years and it is getting old. The good news is that I am out of my abusive job now. They are reviewing me for workman's comp because my doc and I both think it was from the tray falling on my leg in May-they seem to differ. They are supposed to let me know today or tommarrow-does not matter though because I am also covered by my STD and LTD through work-even though my boss told me I could not file a claim more than once a year-this was totally not true-I called the insurance company direct and found out it was just one more thing they lied/were ignorant about.

I have been out of work since last wednesday and I actually feel as if I can breathe! going there every day for about the last year since my back surgery has been a chore. Everyone is angry with me for being out again. The minute I came back two weeks ago and was put on light duty, the war began. Funny how people react-they were upset because "I could not pull my wieght" with portables etc. I guess they have a right to feel as they will. It is a shame though-thought some of these people were my friends-big joke! Not one I am sorry-just on my last day I was called from the school because my daughter had been assulted and I had to go and pick her up and take her to the doctor. some one punched her in her back and she could not move-when I informed my supervisor of this her only words to me was "thats it! that is an inncident!" like ha ha I got you now. You see according to their attendance policy I had one more incident left and then I was terminated. I tried to go out with dignity and had my doc give them their 24 hours notice(they reguire if you are going to be out ill that you call 24 hours in advance or it is an incident, three incidents in 3 months and you are put on warning-happens agian you get presented with final warning and last one your walking papers.)

Until I stepped back and looked without my nerves and fear in the way I did not realize just how disfuntional a place i worked at. They are horrible to their employees. i was in trouble with the knee, my back and my fibro-on top of that i was separated from my hubby and had a daughter whom has been ill all summer which has costed me the most of my incidents. After the fact I found out there was something called intermitent LOA which I could have applyed for because of mine and my daughters illnesses and all but one absence would have been excused out of the 6. They were mostly from when she tried to commit suicide and was hospitalized and from the most recent scare of lyme disease. the last one was my knee which happened on the job-when I got back from Orlando I could not walk on it and had to call off. My biggest mistake was not to stay out when I saw the report on my knee-if I had it would have been one long incident-no I have to be a respectable employee and get doctor to put me on light duty with a huge brace hurting like hell so i did not stick them without another tech. jerks! anyway now I am in touch with a labor law attorney because they have violated so many of my rights I don't know where to start over the last 3 years.

as far as the workman's comp-I am not going to fight that one I could wait a year without surgery with that fight and who would win-them even if I did win in the end-so when they say no my disability is already filled and all I have to do is forward a decline notice to them and bang-bata-bomb got std kicking in paying 66% of my salary.

I feel for my fellow coworkers-they are all miserable and see it for them selves lately and are getting jerked around by management and are angry, but still in denial. If I go forward with the labor attorney it is not for money it is for the changes that have to be made.

Their 24 hour rule causes nurses who care for premature infants to come in sick-I have seen way too many "unexplained viruses" get these children severly ill, some have even died. Everyone comes in with fevers, diarrhea etc etc inorder not to get an incident-then everyone else gets ill and does the same thing it is hard to stay well there. I am done-no more!

While out for my surgery I am studying for my boards, getting registered and working elsewhere. Not sure about the job in Georgia mountains-cute small town but not many doctors and my daughter goes to her therapist once a week and it took me so long to find the docs I have I am not sure I want to move right now. I have a support system and I need time to heal without stressing about another job-mind you my boss to be is great-knows about my condition and is willing to let me schedule my own hours with the ob doctors who need me and is flexible as long as I work 64 hours every two weeks-there is just no counclers there-all health care except a gp and gyn/ob are at least an hour out of town and that can become a real hardship. Just trying to think it all out before I jump!

anyway-sorry so long thought I would update those who were following yet another saga in the life of the Grizwalds! LOL

you all take care and I wish you a pain free and blessed day

cathy
  3. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Thanks so much for the update, I was wondering how you were doing. Good for you as far as the labor lawyer goes...unbelievable that you actually work in a hospital...if they can't be compassionate, who can????

So Glad you're outta there!!!

Take care of yourself & your daughter. I'll be thinking about you...Michele
  4. JannyW

JannyW New Member

good to hear from you ... but I'm sure sorry to hear about your knee. I know some of what you've been thru with your job ... I was basically accused of faking it on several occasions -- just another case of the Invisible Disease problem.

I fell on the job once (with several witnesses) and caught hell for being out to get my knee checked. When I came in with a huge brace I told them all to bite me!! If it hadn't been a re-injury I would've filed it as Workman's Comp.

Keep us posted ... things will work out for you, I'm sure.

Jan ^v^
  5. catlady51

catlady51 New Member

I'm fairly new here but in reding about some of your trials in this posting - couldn't help but kick in. BUMP your employer! I worked very hard for a company that for several years used me up! Have several "commendations" for "above and beyond" the call of duty, etc., etc., then I get hurt (torn rotator cuff due to a fall on ice in front of my office) and while out on wc, they stick it to me - drop my insurance and all benefits - I'm diabetic and all the medication that goes with that costs me about $500 a month, of course they knew that(they were trying to either force me to return to full-time regular duty or quit.) They are fighting me all the way - I have a very good attorney and plan to nail them - only in response to THEIR treatment of ME! WC attorneys do not charge you unless they win - so get one! Don't let your employer get away with THAT either. If I sound angry, it's because I AM! Good luck to you - will be thinking of you,
    God Bless, Lyn