Hi I am from Sandy Oregon

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mea, Sep 6, 2002.

1. mea

mea New Member

I need to find a good fibromyalgia doctor in portland Oregon
    to do an disability evaluation on me so I can have it for ssd and ltd claims . I would appreciate it Mary A.
  2. mea

mea New Member

I need to find a good fibromyalgia doctor in portland Oregon
    to do an disability evaluation on me so I can have it for ssd and ltd claims . I would appreciate it Mary A.
  3. Karrot

Karrot New Member

I'm not from Oregon and I don't know of any good fibro docs. But... I have heard good things about chiropractors. I don't know why exactly - but I have heard they have a better perspective on things than some others docs. Just a thought.

Karrot
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Mea, welcome to the board. You can try the good doctors list at; http://www.co-cure.org/Good-Doc.htm

Hopefully others here maybe able to help also. Good luck with you Disability claim.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Hi Sandy,
    I have an appointment 10/2 with the Rheumatology Clinic at OHSU. I have been told that they are the only place in Oregon that can make an "official" diagnosis of fibromyalgia. I have no idea whether they are any good or not, but Dr. Robert Bennett has written numerous articles on fibro, and they all sound sympathetic to our cause. The main drawback is the fact tht it takes forever to get in. My appointment was made 4 months ago.
    Best of luck to you,
    Kathryn
  6. Dara

Dara New Member

and am part of the Fibromyalgia Clinic at OHSU. They are great, but what they do is you become a part of their program for six months and during that time they are in contact with your primary care physician informing him/her of their recommendations. Probably a big difference of what doctor you find will be what kind of medical insurance you have. I use to go to one at the 5050 building over by Providence Portland, he I would not recommend. His idea of Fibromyalgia is that no matter how bad you are you need to keep working at least 40 hours a week and go to his physical therapy clinic once or twice a week, he just didn't "get it", that when you are that exhausted you can't do that. I now only go to my primary care doctor and OHSU. They have a great Nurse Practitioner that works in their rheumatology clinic. Also, just so you know, when you go in they will tell you that they will make no recommendations as far as disabled or not. Let me know if you find a doctor who will advocate for you as far as SSD. My primary doctor has but I have found that most doctors don't want to say one way or the other because they don't want to take the time to get involved in the paperwork. Good Luck.

Dara
  7. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Hi Mea,

There are several rheumotogists in Portland that are excellent doctors in treating Fibromyalgia, Myofacial Pain Syndrome and Chronic Fatigue. My sister goes to Dr. Kemple in NW Portland. He knows Fibro like the back of his hand, so to speak. He is an advocate for his patients when dealing with insurance companies but he doesn't just give a "disabled" diagnosis. He is very thorough in his treatments which can involve trigger point injections (ouch!!). His partner, Dr. Gandler, is also a good Fibro doctor. I know it took my sister several months to get an appointment but it was worth it. She's still struggling with the pain, stiffness and fibro fog but feels she's getting the best treatment she can.
  8. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

Just wanted to say welcome to the board!

-Shoobie