Hi i`m new,I come from the UK i have Fibro CFS.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by serenety, Jun 15, 2006.

1. serenety

serenety New Member

My name is Serenety, i`m 38 yrs old, married with 3 daughters, i`ve had Fibro diagnosed for 4 yrs. But probably had it since i was 11yrs old when i was diagnosed with Scheurmans disease & slight Spinabifida. I came across this site a few times but today i decided to join you all. I`m actually a Co Manager of a Fibro support group in the UK.

It is the very early hours of Friday morning here in the UK & i`m wide awake i take 150 mg of Amitrytaline to make me sleep & 20mg of Cipralex for my depression.
    Guess what i forgot to pick up my prescription up from the Chemist & i`m wide awake. Which sounds daft i know because most of the day i`m asleep due to exhaustion from doin hardly anything because my body wont let me. So later on when i`m supposed to be awake i`ll be completly out for the count.
    I can`t wait to get to know you all.
    Ps, are there any others here from the UK as well?
    Hugs Serenety.
  2. Heirloom

Heirloom New Member

Hi, Serenety! It's nice to have you on the boards, Although I must admit that I'm rather new myself, having joined a couple of weeks ago.

I can really relate to the sleep issues and fatigue, as I have the same difficulties. Some of the ladies here on the board offered some wonderful advice, which has helped. My fatigue and pain vary from day to day, and I also have little activity due to my symptoms.

I have been thinking of asking my doctor about amitriptyline, but I have hesitated because every antidepressant I have tried has caused heart palpitations.

It is nice to correspond with someone from the UK. I enjoy learning about English culture, reading British magazines and literature, English decor, etc.

Take care, and I hope you get some rest.

Love,
    Heirloom

3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

ilive in california....

the frustrations of meds...yuck

jodie
  4. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

That is a beautiful name. Glad you decided to join in. There are so many wonderful and supportive people here. I just wanted to say hello.
    hugs,
    mrsjethro
  5. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

Lovely to have you here!

I'm not from the U.K. but I lived there for a couple of years in 1969 and 1970, and loved it!

Roseblossom
  6. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I'm fairly new to the site myself but have already met so many wonderful people here!! Have been able to fine informative and helpful information from the Posts. I know you will soon be glad you found it.

"Prickles is from the U.K. according to her Bio. and is very active on the site. I'm in San Francisco and have beento England and Ireland years ago. Enjoyed it much as I enjoy History greatly. My Son studied there at Burnell a couple of years ago. I see the Queen celebrated her formal public 80th Birthday today. But there were most likely more people watching England win 2 "Nil" in football today!

I think you are 9 Hrs. different this time of year. But many peo. are on the Net here at night so make lots of friends!!

MRDAD
  7. uktim1

uktim1 New Member

HI Serenety i joined a couple of days ago ive found out loads of things in that short time im from the uk :) ive had fm for about 12 years now. im coping farely well. i manage to work most of the time and i dont really take any medication so i guess im really lucky im looking forward to talking more to both you and the rest of you folks :D tc & god bless you all tim
  8. Gilly26

Gilly26 New Member

Hi Serenity

Welcome I am quite new 2 and from UK just outside Leeds. I have Post viral fatigue syndrome but unfortunately also get a lot of pain. What meds are you taking for pain I am on Tramadol 300mg day (SR)
    Nabilone 500mcg and Amatriptaline 30mg.
    How have you found your GP.

Welcome again!!

Love

Gilly26
  9. onlythestrong

onlythestrong New Member

What a beautiful name,This is a great group,alot of very caring people and on those nights when we can't sleep it always seems there is someone else that is always awake and ready to talk.
    Take Care and hope you get some rest!
    Mary
  10. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

hi serenity
    i'm from east anglia. my husband likes to do sponsered things for fma uk. we havent found anything new for him to do but last year he did a 100 mile bike ride.

glad that you found us and look forward to chatting :) love smiff x
  11. serenety

serenety New Member

Hi Heirloom,i`ve been on amitryptaline now for quiet a few years & i swear by it it is very rare that i have sleeping problems as i`m on 150mg but if i take my tabs after i`ve had someting to eat they don`t work. Milk also counteracts the tabs as well. Ive found no side afects with them exept the dry mouth.

Hi Jodieplace, California is a beautiful place to live i myself have never been to America the lengh of the flight put me off but Christmas just gone myself & my family went to Goa in India which was an 11 hr flight so you never know the States maybe on my short list for vacations.

Mrsjethro, thankyou for then warm welcome.

Roseblossom i so glad you like the UK when you came to live for a couple of year., where abouts did you live ?

Hi MrDad,i knew it was the Queens official birthday but like you say the football was the only thing i watched,LOL.
    i myself loved history at school & still do my ex hubby was in the British Army & where ever we got posted i always made it my priority to find out the history of the place.

Hi uktim, where abouts in UK are you? Unfortunatly i have to take the medication as i have Fibro all over my body which causes a lot of discomfort all the time. I am registered Disabled & i don`t work due to the fact.
    I find it very hard to cope with day to day tasks & i can`t walk very far.

Hi Prickles,i have to agree with you that there is little awareness of Fibromyalgia in the UK if it wasn`t for the fact i`d been diagnosed i don`t think i would have even know it existed.
    I origonally went to the Drs about a pain in my heal that was really giving me a lot of greif, but i mentioned at the same time about all the other pains i was experiencing, so after a lot of pressure i got refered to the Ruematologist i told him about my foot & he said it was Plantifaceitus ( miss spelled )(Heal spurs)then he went through a list & said you also have Fibromyalgia i was gob smacked & frightened as well as i`d never heard of it but also realieved that it wasn`t all in my mind & yes there was something wrong with me. He told me it was dibilitating & i MAY end up in a wheel chair, which may happen with me `cos i can`t walk properly.

Hi Gilly, I actually live in Barnsley S Yorks so were not that far from each other.
    I can`t take any pain medication as i`m intollerant to a lot of things so even typing this now is hell, but i can`t write anymore due to the stiffness in my fingers so i push myself to type it really is the only contact i have with the outside world.
    After i was 1st diagnosed i went to my GP & saw a Locum called Dr Hen, he was brilliant he knew everything there was to know about fibro he actually helped me to get my Disabitlity Living Allowence. So i have a lot to thank him for. Unfortunatly he is no longer at our practice, my GP`s at the mo are useless all they do is prescribe me my meds on repeat prescription & refer me to other people. One Dr actually said it was all psycosermatic ( in the mind )
    At the mo i`m under the pain management clinic which i find no help at all.

Thankyou all again for replying to my post.
    Hugs Serenety.
  12. uktim1

uktim1 New Member

im in Nottinghamshire Serenety. I went to a medical tribunal to decide if they thought i was disabled or not i won but i dont class myself as disabled i just wanted them to admit that f.m was real :) nobody i have ever worked for can understand the illness so i work for myself that way i can take a week off when i want too. the only medication i have ever been offerd was steroid injections for localised pain i would of looked like a pin coushion lol so i declined. doctors here in nottinghamshire still dont accept f.m is an illness they seem rather unhelpful to say the least and have offerd me no support whatsoever but there is a funny side i broke my leg once the paramedic asked out of 1 to 10 how painful is it 10 being the highest i said oh about 1 you should of seen the look on his face lol :) tc hope you feel better soon tim
    [This Message was Edited on 06/16/2006]
  13. serenety

serenety New Member

i actually have a link that you can print off it`s from the
    Uk fibromyalgia association which you can shove in the noses of the Drs. I don`t know if i can put the link here.
    Hugs Serenety.
  14. uktim1

uktim1 New Member

serenety
    ive just asked jeeves about the name you mentioned ive found the site :) thank you tim xx
  15. serenety

serenety New Member

Hi smiffy79
    , thankyou for the warm welcome. Your husband is a very special man to do all the charitable work that he does. Tell him thankyou from all of us here in the UK, it`s people like him that make the world a special place to live.

Hi onlythestrong, i got 6 hrs sleep this morning my body finally gave in & now i`m suffering, at this moment i`m going through a bad flare due to the lack of sleep. My husband had to cut my food up at dinner.
    At least i know where to come when i`m wandering in the middle of the night. I`ve never seen boards move as fast as these.

Hi again Tim, glad you found the site.

Hi Snowgirl, what a small world you living in Barnsley during the late 70`s early 80`s you never know we may have even passed each other on the street at some point,LOL.
    Which schools did you go to as we are almost the same age. I went to St Helens Infant & Junior School in Monk bretton, which is where i was brought up.Then i went to Priory Comprehensive in Lundwood from `79-`84.

Hugs Serenety.

16. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Welcome to a fellow Brit. I am from Cheshire but in USA 23 years now, with gaps in between when we lived back in UK Cornwall.

I wish I could handle the Amytriptiline, I cannot not even 5mg though I may be driven to take it tonight.

There are quite a few in UK plus a couple like me, who are British but live over here. Are uyou watching World Cup? I see they put Wimbledon into July to accomodate the WCup

Love Anne Cromwell
  17. serenety

serenety New Member

thankyou for the welcome.
    Yes it was crafty putting Wimbledon in to July nothing can up set the world Cup i`m only watching the England matches that is about all i can tollerate, LOL.
    Because i`m on such a high dose of the Amytriptiline once i`ve taken the tabs i refuse to leave the house, they take two hrs to work but i`ve never had any problems what so ever exept i have put on weight & i do think that they are the cause i`ve tryed to lose weight but it wont budge. Better the weight gain than imsomnia.
    I love Cornwall when the girls were little me & my ex hubby used to go there every year to Newquay.
    I am interested to hear what side effects you get from the Amytriptiline.
    Hugs Serenety.
  18. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

Welcome! I'm from Wisconsin and unfortunately we all have a great deal in common. Don't misunderstand, I welcome the friendships but not the diseases.

I know you will find this site wonderful as I have. You can post when you want to and miss a few days or as long as you please. This is a very comfortable website with lots of support and so much knowledge of our DD's.

Hugs to you too,
    Arlene
  19. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Welcome, Serenety. It's always with mixed feelings that I welcome anyone to this board but it's a good place to be when you need to be understood.

Hugs,
    Marta
  20. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I'm 37, but live in the USA.

I just wanted to welcome you!!
    I'll be looking forward to reading your posts.

Take care
    CockatooMom