Hi I'm a Newbie! Does anyone know about Acute Pancreatitis?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by CandyJane, Jan 1, 2005.

1. CandyJane

CandyJane New Member

Hi Everybody,

I'm new to the Health Message Board as I am usually on the Alzheimer's one since my mothe has this disease.

However my dad has just been diagnosed with Acute Pancreatitis and has been suffering with terrible pain.

They also found another polyp on his esophagus and are awaiting the results of the biopsy even though the polyp will be removed either way.

My dad's Lipase count is 420 and the normal range for this I was told should be between 114-286.

The doctor also gave him what is called a Prev Pac which consists of Lansoprazole, Clarithromycin, and Amoxicillin.

These meds were helping him greatly with the pain but was given a supply that would last 14 days only at a cost of $300.00. This supply has now run out and the night before last my dad woke up again with the terrible pains.

He has been going through a battery of tests and are awaiting all the reports but the he tells me the doctor seems most concerned about the Pancreas.

If anyone knows what COULD be the cause of the acute pancratitis I would very much appreciate your input.

I know a lot of the acid reflux etc. that he has been having is due to the fact that he has been very depressed with my mother having to go into a nursing home with alzheimer's disease, but know from the results of some of the tests that it involves much more than that,

Thank you for anyone who may be able to give me some input. Since I don't live close enough to him to go to the doctor's office with him haven't been able to ask the doctor more about this. As he is getting elderly am afraid he may not be asking enough questions.

Nice joining you all here.

CandyJane
  2. mmrn

mmrn New Member

Hi CandyJane,

Sorry your Dad is having trouble. The most common cause of acute pancreatitis is alcohol followed by gallbladder disease. You mentioned your Dad's lipase levels. I know elevated levels "sometimes" are indicative of alcholism. It is very important that he restrain from alcohol. Did the doctor tell him to continue the Lansoprazole (prevacid). I would make sure he is getting enough fluids as this can be a complication from any vomiting he may have. Also if he is having trouble breathing he needs to contact his doctor right away.
  3. CandyJane

CandyJane New Member

Thank you for answering me about my dad.

No he doesn't drink so that's why I'm more concerned about the acute pancreatitis.

He has been having a lot of pain on and off and was previously diagnosed with acid reflux, and a hiatal hernia.

This is something they just found within the last two weeks as he has been going for all kinds of tests.

He also has heart problems so that's why they have been having him go through a battery of tests. Some of the other tests haven't come back yet.

Will try and do a search on this to see what I can come up with.

Thanks for your reply,

CandyJane
  4. klcooper

klcooper New Member

Hi,

My husband suffered from acute pancreatitis and eventually the cause was extremely high triglycerides. Please have them check his levels. It almost killed him. If they don't get it under control and treat it, he'll continue to have attacks and they will come out of no where, will get worse and are very painful. No he's not an alcoholic.

Alcohol can cause it but there are many other things that can too. My mom was told that her levels were high and she's subject to this. She knows what my husband went through and insisted on meds.

Carol's right, make sure they've got him on IV and nothing by mouth for a number of days.
    I'll be praying for you all.