Hi, I'm new and was wondering

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lendi, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Lendi

Lendi New Member

what ZMA is? I was just diagnosed with CFS today and also told I have a sleep disorder that keeps me from going into a deep sleep. I'm going back to work tomorrow after a 2 week vacation, and don't quite know how I'm going to make it through the day. My Dr. wants me to take a medical leave of ab., but it's just not in the budget. I read a post, somewhere that talked about ZMA and was wondering what it is. I thought maybe if I could sleep at night, I'd do better during the day. I am currently taking Celexa, Lotrel (blood pressure med), and Levothroid. I'm trying to find out everything I can in hopes of getting better. CFS was kind of a shock because my Dr. thought I had polymyositis which is quite different.
    I've read through some of the posts and I'm so glad I found all of you. I was so scared and I feel better already.
    Sending gentle hugs, Lendi
  2. healing

healing New Member

Lendi, I have FMS but am wondering if Neurontin might help you sleep more soundly. I take a total of 1400 mgs, spread out through each day, mainly in the evening. Don't know if this is a regular prescription for those with CFS, but it helps me. Good luck to you!
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Lendi, welcome to the board. You probably read one of my many posts about ZMA, it has turned my life around with deep sleep.

ZMA is; Zinc, Magnesium, and vitamin B-6. It is just wonderful for deep sleep.

I have Fibro, and had not had a decent nights sleep in my adult life, but now I sleep at the least 7-8 hours a night deeply, and if I do wake up I go right back to sleep.

I started the ZMA 10 months ago, it took about 10 days to have the desired effect. It seems the longer I take it, the better I sleep.

You can read more about ZMA here, just go to the 'Store' link at the top right of this page and click, then type in ZMA.

Pro Health sells it here (brand put out by SNAC), but it is also sold in some better health food stores, but be sure to get the ZMA that is a product of SNAC, it is NOT sold at GNC. I tried their brand and it does not work.

This is what I take each night;

6pm 0.25 milligrams of Xanax (for racing brain)

10pm 2 capsules of ZMA (for deep sleep)

Before bed; 3 milligrams of Melatonin (which helps me fall asleep in about half an hour)

Be sure to ask your doctor before you take anything with the other meds you are taking.

I hope you find what helps you to sleep deeply, it has been a God send to me.

Again, welcome to the board, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl

4. KLJ

KLJ New Member

I am newly diagnosed with FMS and am using Elavil for the deep sleep problem. I really never thought that I had a sleep problem but my doctor says that it is deep sleep that I am lacking. I take 25 mgs at bedtime. It makes me awful tired in the morning, but supposedly this is supposed to eventually go away. Don't know if this is something that would help you or not, but I thought I would offer the suggestion. Good luck! -Kerrie