Hi I'm new here and looking for disability advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by themama, Aug 25, 2003.

1. themama

themama New Member

I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue 7 years ago now. I applied for disability 3 yrs ago and was denied. I appealed and denied again. They said that I would be able to do some work for up to 4 hrs a day...Well I asked myself on which days I could tell an employer I could work? On the maybe 1 day every 2-3 weeks that I have a REALLY GOOD DAY.
    Well now I have decided to try again, does anyone have any advice for me as to how to better prepair myself. Last time I went into great detail about my health problems. CFIDS and all that it intails, Sleep apnea, Dizzines do to a Vestibular problem, Rhumatoid arthritis etc. I am wondering now if maybe I should have just delt with the CFIDS since it is the most debilitating.
    I would appriciate any help or advice.
    Thank you,
    Viv
  2. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul New Member

Search the internet for every thing on filing. Report your medical problems as how they prevent you from doing things. They really do not care how bad the pain is but how it keeps you from doing your everyday activities. Read the Social Security guidelines for doctors at their own website. The Fibromyalgia Network has a good article to read about disability guidelines too. Keep trying. It may take a few times. Take a job if it is offered and do the best you can. It is up to the employer as to how much they can tolerate.
  3. SandraD

SandraD New Member

Hi,
    While I have not applied for disability as yet, there is plenty of info here. I would suggest type in disability in
    the search area and of course just hit disabilities under the community section. I have found you can get info on just about anything and if your question isn't answered there or in the library section, someone here will know something. Good luck with everything.I know there are those here that have been in your shoes. You just need to keep trying.

God Bless,
    SandraD
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Viv, just wanted to welcome you to the board, can't help with the disability.

Others will be along to give some good advice soon.

Again, welcome and good luck on your next try...........

Shalom, Shirl
  5. Dara

Dara New Member

I filed in Feb 2002 and received my award letter April 2003. I did hire an attorney, I can't say that he did a lot, but he did give me good advice, plus he did interview my doctors. I also know that SS is easier to get when you are, as they call it, at an "advanced age". I am 56 and that fits their catagory. Have you been working, but with poor attendance? Also, have you tried going to Vocational Rehabilitation? I went to VR and they also determined I was unable to work. I think this fact also helped me win my SSD. There is so much about FMS and disability on the internet, I had stacks of information that I had printed out. There have been several members of this board who have won their SSD just lately, I'm sure you'll be hearing from them also. Good luck, let me know if I can help anymore.

Dara
  6. Nortmama

Nortmama New Member

lots of research, lots of doctors, you need doctors reports from several different doctors, my husband got his RR disability after 10 months and teachers after 9 months, so we had two boards to satisfy. We found that doctors really have little time to fool with all the paper work needed, we finally learned to do it and then have his primary physician sign. Your age will have a big bearing on your chances of obtaining your disability. Remember that all your ills contribute to your diability. God Bless and Lots of Luck!
  7. themama

themama New Member

Thank you for your information. This seems like a wonderful place for support, I look forward to finding out more.
    Peace,
    Viv

[ advertisement ]