HI, i'M NEW HERE AND NEWLY DIAG. WITH FIBRO

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CATLADY912, Dec 25, 2002.

1. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

Hi eveyone. I have just been diagnosed with Fibro. I have been disabled for about 5 years with my back, feet and a few other little tidbits but had no idea that I might have Fibro. I put allot of the symptoms off to memopause except I could find no reason why my knees all of sudden were aching so bad I could hardly stand it. Even the pain meds that I take for my back would not help my knees and the one thing I have against me is that I cannot take anti-inflammatory drugs. They ruin my stomach. I might take over the counter motrin for 2 days but that is all my stomach will allow me to take. I have a girlfriend who has Fibro and I never did put two and two together. She sent me a nice book on Fibro for Christmas.

Hope to learn allot here and be able to talk to some others about the things they do to help themselves make it better if it can be better. But that can wait till after the holidays.

Happy Holidays to Everyone.
    CATLADY912
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Catlady, welcome to our world! So sorry to hear you were diagnosed with Fibro, but at least you now have a name for it, thats how I felt when I finally got something to call all this mess!

You sound like me with the pain meds, they killed my stomach, and I got ulcers and IBS from them, which I still get from time to time.

The only pain med I can take is Advil gel caps (OTC's), and not more than two a day, and no more then six a week, or I will be screaming with the stomach problems. I found they were a little more gentle on my stomach then the regular Motrin (thats what I used to take).

We will be glad to share with you what we do for relief, a lot of us take prescription meds, others take both supplements and meds, and some of us (like myself, only take supplements).

I can tell you this, I am at the least 80% better since coming to this board, there is a wealth of information here, and some of the greatest people you ever want to meet.

Everyone is so willing to help if they can, and if not, then they will offer support.

Again, welcome to the board, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Welcome to the Board. There's a lot of good info here. I'm sorry you're knees hurt so bad. What type of doctor did you see? As far as taking anti-inflammatories, they are not indicated in fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia is not an inflammatory process, therefore they won't help. Everyone here takes various things for pain. I take Ultracet (combination of Ultram and Tylenol), regular Tylenol, and Neurontin. I also have Norflex (muscle relaxer) which I take only on occasion. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 5 years ago, and right after that I went through menopause. I think the fibromyalgia caused my menopause. Anyway, I had overlapping symptoms too. You'll learn a lot from the wonderful people here. Happy Holidays to you too!

Annette2
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I assume you are "catlady" because you love those furry little creatures?? I have two & they are my best friends! Welcome to this board, I'm sorry you have been diagnosed with FM, but you are at an excellent place to learn more & meet great people. I only use supplements on a regular basis, & I'm learning more about the role my diet plays in my FM control. Others here use a variety of meds/ supplements for pain control, sleep, etc. & I'm sure they will be sharing their tips with you. I'm glad you are here & I hope you are having a good holiday despite your recent dx. Glad that you have the friend with FM who sent you the book, helps to have that bond.

Hugs,
    Pam
  5. karen55

karen55 New Member

As the others posted above, you will learn a lot and pick up information from just about everyone who posts here about meds and supplements and exercise, basically what works and what doesn't work for each one. Many things that are do's and don'ts that I've read about here on this board were things I was already trying on my own, some are just common sense; but I've learned quite a bit from reading everyone's posts too. It's basically a trial and error thing, what works for you may not work for someone else. But IMO, anything is worth trying if it will help you. I've been using a combination of meds, diet control, vitamin supplements and physical therapy/stretching/exercise and there are certain things that help me a lot, and then some that do more harm than good. And no need to worry about waiting till after the holidays - we all deal with this everyday and "it" doesn't take a holiday!

Karen
  6. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

Hi Catlady,

I too have imflammation level that are high. My Dr also says it's not from FM, but I do not take any anti-inflammatory drugs.

I hope you find a lot of useful information here.

I got to go my brain is giving out. Can't think about more going home to watch my new DVD's
    Laura
  7. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

Hello,
    Welcome to the board. You will find some very nice and warm people here.

Also by educating youself about your desease, it seems to make me more peaceful. It is the not knowing that is a killer... for me anyway. That's the beauty of this DD every one has different symtoms of varying degrees.

So glad to know you and welcome aboard.

1maqt
  8. JP

JP New Member

Hello Catlady and welcome! This is a great place for so many reasons and I am sure you will soon find this to be true.

I am out with my back too and was recently dx with FM and a few other things. Crazy stuff! I never thought I would not be working at age 42. I take it a day at a time...I love work and I miss it very much.

What helps me the most is to keep moving and to try and balance movement with a need for rest. Moving reduces my pain and too much moving increases my pain and diminishes my mobility.

Take good care of you...Jan
  9. Good you found this great site! Lots of info and friendly people!! Sorry you have fibro, but your certainly not alone! I hope this board helps you!!
  10. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

i AM GLAD YOU FOUND US! sorry that you have found us through the common bond of FMS, but as others have said at least it has a name now.

I also suffer from early onset of osteoarthritis and have awful knee pain as well and am now recovering from othoscopic surgery on one due to ligament damage I did not know I had until the pain got so great that I knew it was just not fibro. Might be worth checking into--not everything is fibro.

do you have a rheumatologist? If so a thourough examination of your joints will tell him/her if you have arthritis. Just a thought.

welcome to the best place I have found for support and cyber friendships in 10 years of being chronically ill! I hope you had a nice Christmas and I look forward to seeing you around.

cathy aka griswoldgirl
  11. darlamk

darlamk New Member

Welcome to the board. I'm sorry to hear you have been dx with fibro but, you have come to a great place to learn different methods of treatment as well as coping skills to live as full a life as possible. It is nice that you have a friend with the same disease. I'm sure she will be good support too. Best wishes!
    Darla