Hi I'm new here

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pansygirl, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Hi I'm new here and was recently diagnosed with chronic fatigue. I've been sick since mid april of this year.
    My doctor put me on elavil ~ I've been on it 3 weeks and the only help I've gotten from it is help from the depression. My chiropractor told me today that chronic fatigue and fibroymalgia are one in the same.......???
    I haven't had the tender points?? checked yet ~ not sure if my regular doctor can do that or not? I go for a recheck with my regular doctor next week.
    Nothing helps my pain except swimming in my pool. That feels wonderful on my aching and painful muscles. I try to exercise and walk but that makes me more tired and hurt more.

I'm just curious are chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia two different things.....??? I've been doing lots of research but I'm as confused as ever at this time........
    I'm learning a new way of life~ I'm used to being very active and it still makes me frustrated that I can't do all I want to do.
    Thanks for listening
  2. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I was on Elavil when I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia two years ago. It worked to some degree, but after a while gave me every side effect on the list. I think for some people Elavil works but it seems like for most it doesn't. It just tends to be the first medication doctors turn to I think.

To my knowledge, I thought CFS and FM were related but separate. Often people get both of them (I developed FM, then developed CFS months later) but sometimes people just get one or the other.

It may be helpful for you to get your tender points checked. It could be that you just have CFS and not FM. However, since you talk about aching and painful muscles, it sounds plausible that you might have both.

Swimming! I love swimming. Sorry, the mention of it makes me very happy, lol. But yes, swimming is wonderful because it is low impact on the joints and it's soooo relaxing (at least to me) I was going to go swimming today until I came down with a throat infection. I may go tomorrow. I absolutely love swimming though. I feel so much better when I'm in the water. The worst part is coming out of the water. Gravity sucks! I understand the exercise problem though. I can swim, but if I try to do walking or any other kind of exercise like that, I'll feel okay immediately afterwards, but the next day I crash! I'm hoping once I get to college I can begin to exercise regularly, starting with swimming and then building up.

Researching can be good, it's just finding sincere materials that can be hard.

Learning a new way of life is probably the worst. I've been told since I got it young that I lucked out, but I don't think so, as I am 19 and still have no license. My friends don't understand that part. They think that I could still go out and do THAT at least, but it's not that easy. Anyway, aside from that drawback, I've managed. It's SOOO hard to go from being active to being unable to do what you want. I won't sugarcoat that part.

However, it can be done. I'm actually glad I got sick because I found new hobbies and new friends that I enjoy being with way more than if I had remained with the people and hobbies I had known before I was sick. It took time. It was about a year before I got involved in anything new, as it gets really difficult to meet people, but with some patience... :)

So, just try to keep your head up. Easier said than done, I know. It's hard to get those around you to understand and even harder to get yourself to understand, but give it time and find the treatment that works best for you.

Gentle hugs,
  3. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I definitely have having my tender points checked on my list for when I see my doctor next week.

I love to swim to , always have , and I agee it makes my muscles feel "normal" while Im in the water. I don't have to hold my arms up. I'm glad at the moment for that little bit of relief.

I tried anti depressants over 10 yrs ago for my daily headaches and migraines and it didn't help then either.
    At least I'm not depressed so that is a positive.
    I'm in my mid 40's and I like to stay busy with my family and hobbies. Since getting sick ~just making it through the day is hard at times.
    It's been especially hard for my husband to understand but he is starting to come around and trying to really listen to me about what I am feeling.
    I have muscle aches , muscle spasms, sharp pains that move around my body and also some feelings of numbness in my legs , feet and hands/arms. A few years back I had restlless leg .
    Walking up an incline or stairs is the hardest thing for me, but even just walking around the block with my dogs is hard for me to do now and I used to be able to do that by myself.
    I love to sew and some days my arms just hurt too much to do what I love. So , am trying to adjust and stay positive but it's a day to day thing .
    Thanks for listening.

4. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Hi hope your throat infection clears up soon.

That is neat that you have found new friends and even new hobbies .
    I've found when I'm swimming I can pretend to climb stairs and when on land I don't do stairs well at all.

I've also noticed short term memory issues and of course the fatigue is daily. THe short term memory drives me crazy becuase I've always been good at remembering the little things.......smile

thanks for listening

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There are many who feel that they are the same but, even though there is a huge overlap of symptoms, I do not believe they are one and the same condition. The Guai Protocol has pretty much reversed the symptoms of my FMS but I still suffer from CFIDS/ME, although I am slowly improving. Fibro often occurs with CFIDS/ME, Lupus, RA, and MS.

Love, Mikie

6. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

So glad you found us. For me, this board has been a God-send.
    I have been diagnosed (dx'd) with FM and NOT chronic fatigue. I never felt the extreme fatigue (like I do now) until 2 years ago.

I have learned so much about my ailments and being able to talk to other people experiencing the same thing has saved my life. It IS very frustrating not being able to do what you are used to. My mind says GO, my body says NO!

If you look at my bio, by clicking on my screenname to the left, you'll see that I was dx'd with FM over 12 years ago. I felt very alone for a long time. I have gotten much needed support from my online family, and I hope you do as well.

7. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

Pansies are my absolute favorite flowers!

From all the reading/researching I've done, chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia syndrome have overlapping symptoms, but they are not the same thing.

I've got to go pick up my daughter now...wanted you to feel welcomed here, and hope you come back and visit this board often!

8. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone~ I really appreciate having a place to come where people understand what I'm feeling and are feeling what I'm feeling. It really helps to have a safe place to come to .
    My husband is trying to understand but doesn't totally get it yet, I'm still working on him.
    I try to stay positive but some days it's hard to do.
    Thanks for caring. :)
    I wanted to add that I did add to my profile page.

[This Message was Edited on 06/27/2008]