Hi I'm new here..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SharN, Jan 9, 2003.

1. SharN

SharN New Member

I've already found this place to be a help. I found out I had FMS a year ago. I was doing great this past fall then pow I got set back the middle of Oct. I'm doing better now except my knees are killing me. I can barely get around. Bending them really hurts. I'm taking some med. and it helps a little. And I soak in the tub and do leg exercises then. Any suggestions? Thanks, SharN
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi SharN, welcome to the board, so glad you found us here.

Sorry you have Fibro, it is a most miserable illness to be sure.

I get the knee pain now and then, but thankfully not too often.

I usually use a rub called; 'Banalg' Hospital Strength, it can be bought at most drugstores. I rub them good, and then put an ace bandage on them over night (not too tight), usually by morning they are much better.

Oh yes, Banalg is a very strong rub, be sure to use gloves when applying it, and never get it near your eyes.

I hope this helps you, it did it for me.

Again, welcome to the board, and hope we hear from you ofen.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. nogilroy

nogilroy New Member

just want to welcome you sorry that you have fm but this is a great site for help .also read your bio are husbands do the same thing farm
  4. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Sorry you have to be here too, but welcome. We are the same age and my 15 year old daughter is in band too (and orchestra), What instrument? Do you use a heating pad on your knees? I find this to be a help when resting.

Feel better,
    Sheryl
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Welcome aboard. I'm glad you found us.

Many of us, especially if we have had FMS long enough, have osteoarthritis. The hands and knees are vulnerable spots. Ask your rheumy about this. He or she may want to order x-rays to see if OA is present. Since OA isn't inflammatory like RA, the treatment is usually the same as for FMS, but it will become part of your medical records and can be helpful, especially if you ever file for disability.

Love, Mikie
  6. lmn

lmn New Member

Definitely have your rheumy check your knees. I have had pain and immflamation for years and was diagnosed with FM in Oct. 2000. Funny though, my labs/xrays were negative for arthritis and RA. I don't know if you want to take meds, but I take Celebrex 1x per day and have no pain, immflamation or stiffness unless I overdo to the extreme. My rheumy also suggested water aerobics and gentle walking, heat, and losing weight(I've gained 20 lbs. with this nasty disease and thyroid problems) as good ways to help heal, or at least deal, with this problem.
    Best of luck,
    TTFN,
    lmn