Hi, I'm new to the message board

Discussion in 'Caregivers' started by patg47, Apr 1, 2003.

1. patg47

patg47 New Member

New member that just has become a caregiver for my 81 year old mother in stage 2-3 of Alzheimers. Already I have found information that has helped--I thought maybe I was "losing it" myself, but seems what I'm going through is perfectly normal. I have recently moved her from her home of 21 + years to my hometown, and should have done it sooner. The move coupled with the Alzheimers has created some real problems at her age. Just knowing there are others I can communicate with with my fears and anxieties has helped a lot. God bless each and every one of you. Pat in Texas
  2. lbd

lbd New Member

I worked in a nursing home. I saw too much. The move you spoke of will be an adjustment for her. But then, even if she is home- she will ask you to take her home. I don't mean to seem cruel or hard, but, Alzheimers patients DO NOT SUFFER as much as other elderly people. Please remember that. I know you are worried about her and have reason to be- do not let it take over your life (as I did) Most of the time, she will be in a happy place. So, at that time, be happy with her. All you concerns and worries will not change her. Good Luck, Linda bd
  3. pepprockk

pepprockk New Member

Welcome to the message board, I don't know if you've noticed, but there is a separate board for Alzheimer's and we have a great group of people who really care about each other. If you post your message there, you will get more people to respond to you.

My mom is also in a n/h, and it has not been easy. She still would like to have her own "place" although she cannot live by herself and needs 24/7 care, but she cannot accept that. My mom is 86 and she's about stage 6 although she can still walk (w/the help of a walker) and talks non-stop. I could not get her to live w/me, she got too violent, and like I said she's determined to have her "own" place. Too darn stubborn and independent (in her mind anyway).

Please look into the AD message board and you will find many very caring people there.

4. HarpoftheSymphony

HarpoftheSymphony New Member

I don't know what to say...Except that you've done everything you could for your mother. I'm not very smart on the subject of disorders, but all I can tell you is a thought I run through everyday...
    I'm one who hates change, and I'm afraid of it. If things were my way, I'd have everything change gradually. I've lived with my family for years and if anything were to happen to us or our routine together, I don't know what I'd do. My family is old, & almost at the end of their lives. Right now all I think about isn't doing what's good for them, but what I think they'd enjoy. Their years of working hard and feeling good for doing so are over. I just want them to live a nice, relaxing life for as long as they can. Unless of course they want to work...