Hi kids - seeing my NP in 13 hours!! Need help, please!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HeavenlyRN, Mar 29, 2010.

1. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Hello all. I've been having some increasing problems lately: vertigo, increased pain, nausea, and worsening depression.

I've been reading the boards for months and have garnered a lot of information. Unfortunately, I have neglected to write any of it down. DUH!

Anyhoo, I'm going to see my favorite health care professional tomorrow - the Nurse Practitioner at my rheumatologist's office.

I want to be able to discuss some things intelligently (that'll be new!!). I have a few questions....

1) what works (or not) for you for depression?
    2) what works (or not) for you for pain - either narcotic or non-narcotic?
    3) " " " " " " sleep?

I just realized a little while ago that I just don't have the time to go through a million posts to see what other people are using.

If any of you have 2-3 minutes, could you please just give me a couple of 1-2 word answers? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks - Jan
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

My son* uses L-Theanine, an amino acid, for both anxiety/depression, 1200 mg total but spread out thru the day (caps are 150 mg) - makes all the difference for him. What you need seems to depend on the individual. There's no reported side effects so far. No psychotropics worked for him, he reacted paradoxically to everything.

DH, I, and son all take melatonin for sleep. I take 4.5 mg, my DH 3 mg, and my son 3 mg (his doctor has no problem despite his age, as again he has had extreme insomnia; herbal remedies and RXs again failed.)

I used to find L-tryptophan helped me a lot for sleep (tho 5-htp) didn't, but I can't get it in Mexico.

hope that helps, good luck

(*He has Lyme & co-infections, symptoms as you know are same as CFIDS/FM. )

[This Message was Edited on 03/29/2010]
  3. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Thanks very much. I appreciate it. Out of curiosity - when do you take the melatonin? I guess I mean, how soon before you're ready to try sleeping?

4. spacee

spacee Member

I take an old antidepressant...elavil but only 10mgs. Most ADs don't work for me

But it is so much relief when you find the one that works...so I am hoping for you!

I will list some that haven't worked but I think are good...Ok...it's one:

5htp...it is a supplement and the precursor to serotonin (which is what you need more
    of to feel happy)

And use klonopin for pain and so it makes me sleep too. I take the generic and it does take
    a long time to work. A lot of Dr. Cheney's patients say that. So I take it early to save the $
    rather than get the brand name.

So not much help but really thinking about you and your appt...

5. victoria

victoria New Member

We find we all need to go to bed within 15-45 minutes after taking it... if we push thru the sleepiness, the effects seems to be less. I know that it has helped with my REM time as well.

dulce suenos, I hope, to you!

PS: Both my son and I had trouble taking klonopin btw, even tho we were taking very low doses per Dr. Cheney etc...
    [This Message was Edited on 03/29/2010]
  6. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

5htp - I'm not familiar with that one I shall look it up in a minute. I also have the genergic Klonipin. I just hate feeling like a slug in the morning.

I do have Melatonin. Thanks for the info about when you take it. You know, I never really thought about the aspect of "pushing through the sleepiness." I now realize that that is exactly what I've been doing. DUH #2 for the night!!

Sometimes, OK, MOST of the time, I am very overwhelmed by all of the information posted on these boards. I am constantly amazed, intirgued and impressed by the amount of research that people have done.

Thanks again ladies. I'll let you know how the appt. goes.

7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

With regard to depression, all the anti depressants I've used over the years have
    helped. I am currently taking citalopram.

My depression has been greatly lessened the last couple years. Jaminhealth
    recommended vitamin D3. I take ProHealth's brand, 5000 IUs a day.

I also use the vitamin B12 patch one day a week.

I don't take pain meds, and I don't know anything that helps w/ sleep.

Good luck

8. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Thanks so much for the information. Seems like Vit D3 is a good choice for depression.

Is the Vit b12 for "energy?"

I tried Melatonin - and no Klonipin - last night. I was asleep before my relaxation CD was finished and I woke up this morning alert and ready to start the day! Haven't felt like this for a while. It feels good!

My husband is going to school to become an EMT. Their class last night was on stress management. The speaker said that Melatonin, along with an apple or a glass of milk is great for sleep. Something about the enzymes in the apple or milk that help to increase the effects of the Melatonin. Think I'll try that tonight!

Thanks again for the information.

9. rockgor

No, the B12 patch helps w/ my depression. I had hoped it would give me some
    energy, but haven't found anything that does that.

Bought some melatonin but never used it. The label said it couldn't be taken
    by one using an antidepressant.

The vitamin D3 and the B12 patch work out to about a buck a day. Cheaper
    than most meds.

Good luck to your hubby w/ school. I once had a claim w/ an EMT. This was
    42 years ago. As I recall the proper term in those days was "ambulance guy".

Anyway the claimant got injured and was alleging total disability. In actuality, he
    was still working for an ambulance company. So I arranged for a photographer to
    get some film of him in action.

Before any film was obtained, the ambulance w/ the claimant inside was involved
    in a crash w/ some idiot who didn't notice the siren and flashing lights. Now the
    poor guy was really banged up.

This teaches us a valuable lesson. Not sure what it is though.

Hope things go well w/ the doctor and NP.

10. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

Just wanted to add that the Vit. D3 is good for lots of things, not just Depression. Doctors are really rx-ing it for all kinds of health problems. We as a people are very low in D3.

Hope you have a good appointment today.

11. victoria

victoria New Member

Rock's right, melatonin and tryptophan and 5 HTP can't be taken if you're taking an AD...

good article about it at: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/563447

I was also reading earlier about how too much D3 can increase occurrence of Kidney stones especially if you have a history of them. I guess too much of anything is bad, the question is how much is 'bad', of course. Probably differs for each one of us.

It will be interesting to see what your NP has to say...

12. spacee

spacee Member

See just when Heavenly was giving us a pat on the back for all our knowledge...I blew it :)

Good to know.

I like Vit D 3 and B-12 too.

13. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Restoril (temazepam) and/or Benadryl. + Maybe small can of beer.
  14. rockgor

I heard a small can of beer is good for what ales you.

Sometimes antihistamines make me sleepy, but usually not. I have not
    discovered any reason for the variance. Faces of the moon?

15. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

....but I'm one of those people who get the opposite effects of things. If I had beer I'd probably be running around outside naked! Not pretty, trust me! :0

Saw my NP and she started me on Remeron. Seems to working well so far......don't think I've been awake for more than 4 minutes in the last 3 days!!

She also started me on Vit D-3 and sent me for blood work to check my Vit D levels. Two months ago my leverl was really really low and I went on Vit D for about 5 weeks, but we both forgot about renewing it. So, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. And when the weather gets warm and stays warm around here, I may just have that beer some night!!