Hi LenoreR

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Mar 31, 2008.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Saw your post on the garden thread. How's by you? that's what one of my coworkers used to say back in "The Old Country", i.e. Minnesota. She was the only person I knew who had been to Disneyland. She told me it had a life-sized statue of Mickey at the entrance.

When I asked, "How big" is skeptical tones, she insisted it was life-sized.

Are you an opera fan? Giuseppe Verdi like the name Leonora so much he used it for the soprano in Il Trovatore and La Forza del Distino.

How retired are you? Got some of the DDs we find on this site? What kind of law do you practice? Inquiring minds want to know.

2. LenoreR

LenoreR New Member

I am a big opera fan (one of my grandmothers was an international Italian opera star in the 30s and 40s), but was teased more with all the Poe references.

I love your inquiring mind! Yes, it was the CFIDS and CIDP that retired me. Three weeks ago I got the FMS dx from a rheumotologist. I don't see myself going back for a while now.

The frst 8 years of my career I was a Trial attorney in Insurance Defense (no small feat back then for a girl in her 20s!). I have a son who was dxed with Autism in 1998. I stopped working to focus on him, then somehow morphed into a Special Education attorney for the kids and had my own practice. These DDs took that away from me, though I still try to keep current on the laws, cases and regs. I've been listed as Inactive since June 2006, but I still help parents informally whenever I can. I found an attorney in the area who is interested in this field and hope to train him, ultimately getting back into the field as an advocate where I would have more flexibility.

My offer on the Garden Post was really sincere. If I can help you, LA isn't that from me.

Here's to getting to know a new friend! :)

Best regards,
  3. rockgor

"Tell me more, tell me more..."

Grease, 1978

Grease and Star Wars came out about the same time. I took the bar; my son was seven. We must have seen those movies 20 times each. Happy Days.

Now I don't go the movies, and my son and I don't talk. As the video says, "Shift Happens".

Anyhoo, tell me more about your granma. What was her name? What roles? What theaters? Recordings?

In my yute I used to usher for the Met when it was in Minneapolis on tour. Saw and met some of the world's greatest singers. Mario Sereni sang a high A flat for me in his dressing room. Renata Tebaldi gave me an autographed photo.

It's very kind of you to offer to help. By a strange kawinkydink I am working on a pro bono case right now involving the Rule against Perpetuities.

Have you visited the porch? It began a couple years ago on the FM/CFS board to discuss things off-topic,e.g. kids, movies, music, jokes, recipes. After a while the Pro Health people opened up the chit chat board where everything is off topic.

Drop by; it's a friendly place.

Oh yeah, April Fool! I wouldn't know the Rule against P. if I fell down a rabbit hole and landed on one.

4. LenoreR

LenoreR New Member

Geez Rock, with your DDs I'm sure you would know allthe ins and outs............ (April Fools back!)

My grandmother's stage name was Rosina De Stephano. She made about a dozen recordings during her heyday, mostly in the 40s. Sadly, we lost her two years ago, but my grandfather who turned 98 last month has the old LPs.

If it's not too personal, why don't you talk to your son anymore?

I've read the porch thread for a little while now. I was going to introduce myself, but someone wrote that she was overwhelmed by all the newcomers, so I have merely been lurking until everyone gets used to all the other new people; then I may join in. Thanks fot the tip!

My oldest is home sick and needs tending; the little one has a friend coming over in about 15 minutes. I have to prepare for that, so I must cut this short.

See you in the Garden!

5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Butting in here. I am a counselor for people whose kids have autism (pro bono) and have a 13 year old son with autism myself. Currently compiling a book about "letting auties be auties" instead of being on them all the time.

CNN is running autism shows all day today 2nd April.

Love Annie
  6. rockgor

Annie, you know you are always welcome. That's wonderful that Danny was able to give a speech.

Lenore, I think I have to write a great deal about my son or next to nothing. I guess we are like those married couples who "outgrow each other". Never had a fight. He just stopped answering e mails, didn't acknowledge gifts, etc.

When he was a child we had a wonderful relationship. I thought I had broken the dysfunctional family chain, but that turned out to be hubris.

Anyway, today is library book sale day. I usually take a bag and bring back a bag. I've had so little energy I haven't been for 5 or 6 weeks even tho it's only 3 blocks away. I hope to be awake when the sale starts in 4 hours.

Am listening to opera music by Erick Wolfgang Korngold. (I think his movie scores are better. He won two Oscars during Hollywood's Golden Age. Gordon says if it's in B & W, it's a Classic.) He (Korngold, not Gordon) is buried near here behind Paramount Studios on Santa Monica Blvd.

Hope your oldest is better soon, Lenore.

7. LenoreR

LenoreR New Member

Hi Annie,

You are not "butting in" at all! Nice to *meet* you! My Autie is 16. You're three hours ahead of me, but I'll look around the listings for the prgrams. It's very interesting to me that you are writing about letting them be Auties. I took the opposite approach and only let mine stay in his world one hour a day. I firmly believe that there is no right and wrong, just different. I'd love to see what you've written so far. Or we can knock our heads together and show both points of view! :)

There seem to be quite few special needs moms here (well, we all are; I guess I mean special moms with special needs kids). I asked a woman on another thread if she would be interested in a thread for us on the chitchat board. Would you be interested?

Rock, sweetie, I haven't forgotten you. (((hugs)))
    I hope you have happy hunting at the book sale today. Let me know what you are reading these days. I like hearing about your music tastes too!

I'm pretty down and the pain in my shoulder coupled with PT for it is making me very grumpy. I'll be my usual bright and chipper self another day, okay?

Happy reading/writing!

8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Hi Lenore-yes it is what works for your child and family.

I always say this

"People with autism have a difficulty in communicating with others....then I add....in a way that others will accept as being normal for the autistic person"

My philosophy is that if we stop concentrating on trying to remold the kids into being neuro typical, which is impossible for them-sort of on that same line of thought, as forcing someone who is male to be female-well instead if we try and work with them by accepting their autism, then most will and do communicate and grow socially at their own pace and in their own way.

This does not mean allowing them to roll in feces all day long etc. These kids need consistency and total structure, but not making verbal communication be the key as so many
    interventions do. Many of these kids can and do communicate by typing and spelling and once given the chance to use their own inate skills usually do pretty well and are a lot calmer.

I bet you and I are on the same page in many respects.

Have you ever tapped into Kathy Snows free Disability is Natural emagazine-it is great.

I also get annoyed by the many NFP corps who are paying themselves big fat salaries "curing" autism. The money would be better spent on early intervention programs that are not one size fits all, and they ignore the many families who are made poor by this disorder.

ROCK: I have the same "relationship" with my middle son,who is 42 this year, but what can we do? My oldest(43 later this year) has just decided he will start communicating better again, but I wait with baited breath as they say.
    I still love them, but get on with my life and concentrate on Dan and Danny who both need me. Fortunately my ex DIL and I are great friends so I enjoy a good relationship with her and the grandkids, the oldest of which will be 20 this year! Poor Danny, he turns 14 in summer and his next brother is going to be 42!!!

Love to both Annie

9. LenoreR

LenoreR New Member

Benn out of touch due to medical/dtress stuff.

I have the same problems as you guys with my younger brother. We grew up thick as thieves and now he mostly ignores me and my kids. I thought that when he had a child (who is almost 6 now), things would change, but they haven't. Like you said Annie, I wait with baited breath.

Rock, I grew up in the fun of a dysfunctional family and also hope to break the chain. My divorce certainly didn't help ( 4 generations!). I did break the physical abuse and alcoholism so far, but I won't know until my kids have families of their own.

So, what new books did you get?

Annie, I bet you'e right and we do see eye to eye on a lot of things re Autism. Someday we'll have time to pursue them........

I'm taking the kids on vacation next week, so if I don't catch up with ya'all over the wekend we'll pick this all up when I get back.

Hugs to both,