Hi Michigan doctor referrals please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kristy34, May 14, 2006.

1. kristy34

kristy34 New Member

Hi
    I am newly diagnosed with fibro and I could really use some referrals for doctors. I was diagnosed by a physiatrist who referred me to a rheumatologist. I did not get any help as when I was attempting to make an appt. the receptionist said the doctor does not "deal" with fibro patients. I feel very discouraged and really do not want to go through that again. Any referrals for the Detroit, MI area would be helpful. I really need help- the pain is unbearable at times.
    Thanks!
    Kristy
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Sorry for the bad experience you had with the rheumatologist. Funny your other doctor would refer you to someone who doesn't "deal with" FMS. At least you found this out before you went for an appt.

I have a great doctor for you-Dr. Vallance. He is a rheumatologist and definitely will work with you. After years of searching, he is the best doctor I have found and is willing to prescribe stronger pain meds. He said he doesn't think people should be made to suffer if there is something that will help you. He has me on the lowest dose of Kadian (morphine) that will help me. It has helped the sharp, shooting pains, although unfortunately it doesn't help the achy pains.

I've been seeing Dr. Vallance for over a year now and feel much better than I did. I don't have as much pain, he has helped my Restless Legs Syndrome and I am sleeping much better at night.

He spends so much time with his patients and never acts like he is in a hurry and he really listens. He never treats me like I am a "whiny" female like some doctors do.

Anyway, here's his name and address: Dr. David Vallance, 3055 Plymouth Road, Suite 102, Ann Arbor, MI 48105,
    (734) 623-0100. He's really busy so it may take a couple of months or longer to get in, although they can put you on a waiting list in case someone cancels their appt. They did this for me and I got in a month earlier. Dr. Vallance probably doesn't need any more patients, but I think he hates to turn people away.

Another thing Dr. Vallance does that is kind of unique. While he is talking with you, he writes down notes of things he wants you to try, makes a copy for your file and gives you the original. Also, he did the most thorough blood test on me when I first went there. His office sent me a copy, and at my next appt. he went through the test results and explained what everything on the test sheet meant. No one has ever taken that much time with me before.

Anyway, sorry this is so long, but as you can tell I really love this doctor. I wish we could clone him. Good luck.

Ellen
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

And this cold, rainy weather doesn't help at all, does it?!

Ellen, your doc sounds wonderful. If you do figure out how to clone him and he would take a CFS patient, please send him a bit north of you. :>)

Another Michiganian
    Marta
  4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Yes, you are definitely right about this weather. I am feeling more achy (my feet and toes are really aching right now). I will be so glad when the sun and warmer temperatures come back!

Sorry Dr. Vallance is too far north for you. I'm not sure if he takes CFS patients or not.

Ellen
  5. onlythestrong

onlythestrong New Member

I am also in Michigan between Lansing and Grand Rapids and I also am trying to find a doctor who treats fibro I have a family doctor but he doesn't know much about it,It gets really hard when they don't know how to treat you.
    And this weather has been really hard on all of us fibro people.
    Good luck!
    Mary
  6. fairyborn

fairyborn New Member

Hi Mary,
    I am Lansing I have a very good team that helps me, my family doc is Dr. Viera she is the one who diagnoised me, my rhume is Dr. Nita Tacker I also have a great OMT Doc Dr. Ronan. All are very compassionate and prescribe meds that help to keep me out of pain. Everyone is correct the rain and cold shift in the weather has been bad for me also these last few days. Good Luck in finding the right team.
    Kass (fairyborn)
  7. razmekj

razmekj New Member

Kristy, I see Lydia Lasicak *248-661-4700 in West Bloomfield. She diagnosed me 20 years ago. Very compasionate rheumatologist. Non-judgemental and up to date.