Hi Mickey Remember Jane Froman?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Nov 22, 2008.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

If Ashley does transfer to Columbia, she may want to read up on Jane Froman who was a popular singer during the 30s - 50s. Another biography on Jane came out last year which was the centennial of her birth.

Not only did Jane graduate from Columbia College (named Christian College back then), her mother taught music there. If you go to Youtube you can see/hear Jane. You can also find clips from the movie With a Song in my Heart in which Jane sang and Susan Hayward did the acting.

Jane couldn't do it herself. She suffered terrible injuries in a plane crash while entertaing the troops during WWII.

You can also see the kids in the Jane Froman singing group from Columbia College. Great sound.

I looked up the school. A beautiful campus w/ both old and new buildings. Makes me want to go back to school.

Oh, and the best news. USNews has rated Columbia a best school.

Very likely you've already checked this out. I suppose you won't know if Ashely is transferring for several months.

Best to you and your family

2. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Thanks Rock so much for this information, I can't wait to go to the youtube and watch this, I will also forward to Ashley. Yes, I knew it used to be known for a Christian College, which is one reason why I am glad she is changing.

She is definetly switching, she received all the paperwork in the mail this past weekend. They also gave her 1/2 tuition scholarship which is awesome. They stated that if she would have picked that college when she first started she would have had a full ride scholarship. Oh well, you live and learn. I am really excited for her.

Another good thing is the parking permit is 30 for the year compared to 170 for Mizzou as well as she has to walk a mile to get to her dorm. Now she will only have to walk about 100 feet. Also she will be able to get to all her classes by walking inside the school compared to take 20 minutes to walk to each class outside in the rain, snow, etc......

December 19th is her last day at Mizzou and then she will start Columbia in January when the new semester starts.

Thanks again Rock for thinking of me and Ashley, you are a sweetheart!!!!! I am going to go watch that video now.

Love ya

3. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

It's titled, "With A Song In My Heart", with Susan Hayward, and a very young Robert Wagner, who make a small apperance in a very touching scene, as an injured Service man,

I watch it everytime I can, what a Brave Women she was, it always been inspiring to me, reminds me Tough people get through the tought times.

Hope you didn't mind my butting,

Goood luck on Ashley getting in to the College of her choice.

4. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Thanks Sharon, of course we don't mind you inputting. Boy do we need tough people right now with the tough times we are all going through.

I will have to get that movie to rent.

Thanks on the well wishes about Ashley. She is definetly switching to Columbia College instead of Mizzou. Mizzou is just way too big for her.

Take care.

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I loved Susan Hayward and the story was so compelling.

Love, Mikie

BTW, every September, I have strange urgings to enroll in school again. I went back in my 40's to finish my degree but there are soooooo many interesting classes to stimulate the mind. Unfortunately, my mind isn't what it used to be so I'm not sure how I would do now. My degree is in marketing and I feel I got cheated in the humanities dept. Oh well, there's always self-education at the library.

6. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

You are never too old to go to school. Go far it, especially if you want to. You can do anything your heart tells you to do. In my opinion I think you would do great. I always enjoy reading your intelligent and interesting posts.

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Some colleges and universities will allow people older than 60 to audit courses for free if there is room. My problem now is that I am a bit too run down to add a college class to my regimen of working part time and resting. I've started night school in Spanish and later in Italian and both times, I had to give it up as I couldn't keep up. As much progress as I've made, I cannot commit to anything as I never know whether I'll feel up to it. My life now revolves around my work schedule so I will have enough energy to do the job.

Thank you for your very sweet comments. I have enjoyed reading your posts as well. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Love, Mikie