Hi Monica - need flower help !

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Granniluvsu, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I tried posting this a bit ago and it just dieappeared so will try again. I also asked this question on the Porch but you had already posted so may not have been checked in again. I guess that you probably will not see it so I make a separate post.

We live on property with little sun and so have mostly greenery, inc ivy ., fern and other things put here by former owners. I would love to bring in some more color besides all the greenery .. We have some impatients, something else our neighbor gave us and don't know its name and azeleas (sp?).

Do you have some other ideas of what we could plant that are colorful and take little sunn or alot of shade.

Drop a line when you can and hope you are feeling better.

Love n hugs,

2. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I was wondering are you looking for annuals for color or are you looking for something that will come back like a perennial?

Also, do you have a spot in this flowerbed? If not, I use pots in my full shade flower bed. Also, I know you live in Texas but do you know what gardening zone you are located? If not, just tell me your general area and I can look it up as well.

Lots of hugs,
  3. Granniluvsu

Either one, annual or perenials would be good but just need something fairly hearty that would LOVE the heat and needs little sun. Perrenials might be best but right now I am not about to be too choosey (-: !

I do not know what gardening zone I am in. I live in Montgomery, TX. Is that all the info you need? There is no big rush but just needed some ideas. We already planted some more impatiens. Let me know if you need any more information.

Hope you are feeling OK and not to badly. How are Honey and Ms Soapy doing ?? Hoping they are letting you rest some.

Bye for now,

4. monica33flowers

Hi Granni,
    I haven't forgotten about you. I was just wondering what is the condition of your soil? Is it mostly clay? Is this spot completely without any sun (any morning sun or late afternoon)?

Your zone is 8b.

I don't have any kitties by those names. I think you are thinking of Marta, she had the kitty problems with all the fighting. My cats don't fight much but they do keep me busy.
  5. Granniluvsu

Sorry for the mixup. I haven't seen or heard from Marta in ages either so have forgotten. I am glad that your kitties age sweet and behaving themselves.

Thanks for looking up the growing zone or whatever you call it.. I am not sure where I want to put anything right now as there are quite a few places that I might like to chanage out plants. There is a front bed or a couple of them that I might want to add something besides impatiens. Need to see how they come up. One the other side f the impatiens we have lots of greenery and some azeles. Speaking of azeleas some are getting rather scrawne looking. They were in here when we moved, at least 10 or more years ago. What would be a good plant food, do you know??

Sorry for all the questions. There is no rush. Get back to me when you can. I cannot do anything right now anyway. This week is to busy . I just thought if you might have a few ideas I could do it at our leisure (whatever that is). When is actually the best time to plant - aboutnow before it gets to hot I guess??

TTYL my dear and hope all iis well.

Hugs to you,

[This Message was Edited on 04/08/2009]
  6. monica33flowers

First off, I'm so sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Last week just flew by and it was also Randy's last week of being home. We had lots of projects to finish before he went back to work.

OK, for the azaleas. They do like sun so they may not be getting enough sun. But it also sounds like they could use a boost of compost. You can find this at any garden center, nursery. Here in WI their is a compost site where I can buy it directly so I guess I'm spoiled. LOL.

First off, make sure you get some compost and try to work it into the soil of all your beds. This will give the plants the extra nutrients they will need. Then you will also have a better idea of what lives and what doesn't.

Shade plants: I would stick with some annuals first and see how they do. Since they are the cheapest you don't want to be spending money on perennials and then have them croak. Impatiens are great and tons of different colors. My other favorite is begonias. You can get them in all kinds of varieties. I just love the non-stop begonias because they are just like their name --- they are non-stop flowers that kinda look like camellias. Also, coleus is great. You can actually mix them with different flowers and they look stunning. They come in tons of different colors and they are very hardy. I really love the dark purplish and also the lime green coleus. They just add some extra fun!

I have a complete shade flowerbed and I use lots of different textures & colors of green. Then I add my annuals to give the bed some color. I do put all my annuals into pots and vary the sizes to make things look more interesting. When I add the plants directly to the soil they get choked because of tree roots and other plants. Plus much easier to water a few pots.

I hope I answered all your questions but if not you can always let me know.

Love ya!
    [This Message was Edited on 04/13/2009]
  7. Granniluvsu

for the ideas. I am not the greatest with plants nor do I have the NRG but I do like to look at pretty flowers. The ost I have done so far is weed and planting some inmpatiens. I am going to have to look at some begonias. I forget now what they look like. Have to do some looking around in the Nurseries to see what they have in the way f Begonias, compost and also take a peek at some azelea food.

Not sure when all this will get done but I guess this should be done before the very hot weather sets in-right ??

Hope you had a nice and blessed Easter yesterday and that you and Randy are both feeling OK. Guess he is back to work after his surgery now.

Thanks alot for your hewl my friend. I sometimes say I have a black thumb ause I am not that great with plants. However, the Impatiens have been doing pretty good that I planted.

Bye for now. I will let you know if I have any big questions (-: !!