Hi. New and have questions.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hotwheels494, Nov 17, 2005.

1. hotwheels494

hotwheels494 New Member

Hi. I was wondering if maybe some of you could help me. My doctor recently started treating me for fibromyalgia with Cymbalta. I stopped taking it after a week because i didn't like how it made me feel and just continued taking lexapro instead. I feel it was a really quick solution on her part and was wondering if from the sounds of it you think she is correct... about a month ago i got really sick (sick in a different way, no head cold or anything just horrilbe aches and extremely tired).. It was really bad for a few days, then it got better. about a week later i was sick again... now i have more bad days than good and i hurt so bad sometimes. Do you think this is correct? my grandmother does have it but we are not close and other than that i have never heard of it.. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me.:)

Grace
  2. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Cymbalta is a very common for FM I ahve been taking it with good success for about 6 months now. You may want to try it for longer than a week or try a lower dose. Welcome to the board!! Lynn
  3. cbrogan6

cbrogan6 New Member

Your experience sounds similar to mine, except I've been having what I called "achy joints" for at least 8 months now. I associated it with my period at first, which led me to my OBGYN. She found endometriosis, and said my immune system was very low, which is probably why I was aching.

However, the aching has got worse. I too have good days and bad days, and I have no idea what triggers the bad ones. On the really bad days I can't do much of anything. It has gone from mostly my joints, to deep muscle pain, and even pain that feels like it's in my bones. I also have a lot of daily fatigue, and on my bad days I feel like all the energy has been sapped out of me.

I ended up seeing 2 different Rheumatologists about a month ago, and both diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. They did do a lot of bloodwork first though to rule out anything else. One of them also thinks that the hormone injection I am on for the endo, Depo Lupron, is contributing to the pain. For now, he is treating me with Elavil, a mild anti depressant that helps me sleep (and it does help somewhat), and on Monday he prescribed Tramadol for the pain. So far it does help the pain, but it also makes me very drowsy, so I don't take it during the day at work when I need it the most. I'm not sure if the drowsiness will go away when I get used to it or not.

Anyway, that's my experience. It sounds like your doctor does have the right idea with your fibro diagnosis, but all of the doctors I've seen have said it's important to do the bloowork to make sure there aren't any underlying issues. I wish you the best, I don't post a lot here, but I've found this site to be really helpful. And it's nice to feel not so alone :)